It's not a fancy cake but when you eat it warm with whipped cream, ice cream or a chocolate glaze, it tastes pretty good. It's great for when you're craving for something sweet but don't want the temptation of an entire cake in your house. Plus, it's super fast to make.
- Mix all dry ingredients. Add milk, vanilla extract and oil and until well blended. Spray a 10 to 12 ounce microwave-safe cup with cooking spray. Pour the batter into the cup.
- Microwave at full power for 1 minute. Depending upon the strength of your microwave and shape of your cup or container, you may need to cook the cake longer in 15 second increments until done.
- Microwave?!?! I can see some eyes rolling!
- Don't worry. As long as you don't overcook, it won't turn rubbery. Since it contains no eggs, you don't have to worry about salmonella with the short cooking time. Also, the cake will puff up so don't fill a very small container. It needs some room to rise.
- It's not a fancy cake but when you eat it warm with whipped cream, ice cream or a chocolate glaze, it tastes pretty good. It's great for when you're craving for something sweet but don't want the temptation of an entire cake in your house. Plus, it's super fast to make.
- This recipe is pretty versatile.
- -You can change the flavor of the cake by adding drops of various extracts: almond, mint, etc.
- -You can add chocolate chips, dollops of jam, mini candy bar, peanut butter cup, shredded coconut etc.
- -If you don't like chocolate and want to make a white cake, you can omit the cocoa and add an extra tsp of flour (to make up for some of the lost dry measurement), and candied ginger, various spices, citrus extracts or anything you like.
- -You can substitute the milk with different liquids.
I loved this! My 7-year old daughter made it (with supervision from me) and we added a swirl of peanut butter, and dotted the top with vegan chocolate chips. They melted and turned the cake top gooey-delicious!
Tastes good, especially topped with choc chips after it comes out. I used a 10 oz glass custard cup. This is a much better value than buying those warm delights bowls! UPDATE: even better with a little bit of peanut butter swirled inside. This is my go to chocolate craving recipe.
My husband and I were excited to make this after reading the reviews, but all this "dessert" did was make us want some real chocolate cake. It didn't satisfy our sweet tooth at all. The flavor was just not there.