This soup is the best! My mom owns a catering business and her chef makes this for the cafe. Flavorful and hearty, even has a bit of a kick to it. Serve with warm crusty bread...a great meal on a fall/winter day.
- 453.59 g dry lentils, rinsed
- 170.09-226.79 g smoked ham, diced
- 2365.9 ml water
- 22.18 ml ham soup base or 3 ham bouillon cubes
- 177.44 ml celery, diced
- 177.44 ml onion, diced
- 177.44 ml carrot, diced
- 14.79 ml cider vinegar
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92 ml oregano flakes
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml ground black pepper
- Tabasco sauce, a few drops (optional)
- liquid smoke, a few drops (optional)
- In a stock pot, combine lentils, ham, water and base/bouillon and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients; simmer until veggies are tender, about 20 minutes.
- If you wish to puree: remove 3 cups of lentils, broth and veggies (keep diced ham in soup pot); puree, return to soup and stir.
- For the crockpot: place all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on LOW for about 10 hours; follow step #4 prior to serving.