These muffins are a blessing for people restricted to low-fat foods, there is only about 1 gram of fat in each muffin, these muffins do not at all taste low-fat! This recipe will make 36 muffins, so just pop them into the freezer for a fat-free snack or for breakfast! If desired add in chopped nuts although that will add to the fat content, You can use egg beaters in place of eggs and white sugar in place of brown or use half of each.
- 4 3⁄4 cups wheat flour (or use white flour or half of each)
- 3 cups brown sugar (or use brown or white Splenda sugar)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (can use less)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cloves
- 6 large eggs
- 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup plain fat-free yogurt (or use 1 cup applesauce)
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins (can use more)
- Set oven to 350 degrees (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Line three (12-cup) regular size muffin tins with paper liners, then spray the bottom of the paper liners with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mix together flour with brown sugar (or Splenda sugar if using) baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves until well combined.
- In another bowl whisk or beat on low speed of an electric mixer the eggs with pumpkin puree, applesauce and fat-free yogurt until smooth and well blended.
- Stir in raisins until combined.
- Evenly divide the batter between all the muffin tins.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the muffins test done.
These are very delicious! I made them last night, added chocolate chips to some of them and instead of raisins I used dried cranberries. They are delicious and moist and at 1 g fat how can you go wrong!
Excellent recipe! My kids are picky eaters when it comes to "healthier" options for baked goods, and they loved them! I also cut the sugar in half and used a 1/4-1/2 cup of agave nectar as well. I found that 30 mins was a little too long to bake them for. Mine came out perfect at 25 mins. Thanks for posting!
I used half whole wheat/white flour, used all applesauce and took out the raisons and topped each with a pinch of cinnamon and 3 chocolate chips instead -- I must say this is a delicious light muffin. Thanks for sharing!
Also, didnt have to cook the full 30 min, more like 20 in my oven!