Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a basic recipe for an excellent soup base, for Chinese cooking.
Make and share this #1 Chinese Soup Stock by Sy recipe from Food.com.
- Cut chicken into small pieces, remove any fat.
- Trim any access fat off the lean pork.
- Put chicken& pork into a large pot.
- Add water to cover and bring to a boil, then lower heat.
- Cook for about 10 minutes until the scum comes to the top.
- Put the chicken& pork into a colander and then run cold water over to remove any scum.
- Clean the stock pot and then put back the chicken& pork and add the gingerroot.
- Add water to cover (Three-quarters to the top of the pot) and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat.
- Simmer the stock on a VERY, VERY LOW HEAT (A few bubbles showing and with no cover on the pot) for about 3 to 5 or so hours.
- Strain the stock by using a colander and cheese cloth (Discard the bones).
- Let cool and then put into the refrigerator.
- After several hours remove any fat from the surface.
- Note: You can make a richer more flavorful stock by also adding about 1lb of a smoked Ham Hock to the recipe above.
- However, prior to adding it to the pot, blanch to remove any of the spices.
- As an alternative use College Brand Chicken Stock (46 fl oz can) and add a small piece of smoked Ham Hock for a quick way to get a flavorful stock.