Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
My husband gave me this recipe. I took me awhile to get the hang of these, but now they are fairly quick and easy. Prep time includes time for the dough to rest.
- Mix ingredients with hands or a mixer, and knead well "(I like my dough to be slightly sticky). I have found by experience that it needs a lot of kneading to develop the gluten so as to keep them together well so they don't break when folded or filled.
- Let dough sit (covered) for about 30 minutes to rest.
- Pull off a handful at a time, roll into a ball, and then flatten thin with a rolling pin on a floured countertop or with a tortilla press (I love my press - it flattens and cooks at the same time :).
- Cook on a hot pan or griddle for about 30 seconds on each side - if they are too crispy take them off a little sooner next time.
- Keep them covered with a towel on a plate until ready to serve.
- Also optional: an egg (will need a little more flour), or 1 tsp baking powder.
- I usually end up doubling this recipe because even though it makes a lot, my kids scarf down quesadillas made with these.