Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I make soup like this based on what's freshest, and what I have on hand. More of a technique than a real recipe, but always light and satisfying. You can use more ingredients than specified, but will need more broth, too.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
Any 5 of the following
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green beans, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup garbanzo beans
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice or 1⁄2 cup cooked orzo pasta
- 1⁄2 cup cooked chicken, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green peas
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in small Dutch oven. Saute vegetables until tender.
- Add chicken broth and heat to simmer. Add remaining beans, rice or pasta if using. Heat to simmer.
- Add parsley and pepper flakes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve at once.
I was miserable with a cold and made this "comfort" soup. Added 1/2 tsp celery salt and 1/2 tsp thyme and a 1/2 cup of V8 juice. Perfecto! I feel so much better. Thanks.
I made this with carrots, celery, peas, cooked chicken, and orzo. I used homemade broth, not canned so the flavor was there. This is a great way to use leftovers. Quick and easy to make, great on a weeknight when time is short. Made for Alphabet Soup Game. Thanks for posting Diane.
Versatile recipe but needed more flavor. Next time I'd add some spices like thyme, rosemary, sage, etc. "Poultry spice" is what I have. I used turkey broth, carrots, rice, mushrooms, celery and chicken. This was a good easy recipe to prepare for us because we are both sick!