It's as easy as one, two, three to prepare a delicious roast chicken. Preparation time does NOT include one day of marinating in the refrigerator for best flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Remove neck and giblets from chicken; rinse and put in bottom of roasting pan.
- 2Sprinkle half the chopped onion in bottom of roasting pan.
- 3Rinse chicken and pat dry; fold back wings and place breast side up on top of neck, giblets, and onions in roasting pan.
- 4Rub garlic cloves on outside of chicken and sprinkle cavity with salt and pepper; put garlic, rosemary, and remaining onion in cavity.
- 5Pour over balsamic vinegar and red wine; FOR BEST FLAVOR, cover pan and refrigerate overnight, basting occasionally (but still good without the extra marinating time if you're pressed for time).
- 6Remove pan from refrigerator and baste chicken; allow to rest at room temperature for one hour.
- 7Preheat oven to 375°F; baste chicken again and roast uncovered for one hour.
- 8Remove chicken from oven; baste; reduce temperature to 350°F.
- 9Continue roasting uncovered at 350°F for 60-90 minutes (twenty minutes per additional pound over three pounds) or until internal temperature reaches 165°F, basting every half hour. Skin will be dark but will not burn. Sprinkle outside of chicken with additional salt and pepper during last hour if you like a nicely seasoned, crispy skin.
- 10Remove from oven; cover with foil tent and allow to rest for 10-20 minutes before carving.
- 11While chicken is resting, strain pan juices and skim off fat. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat to reduce; season to taste.
- 12Carve chicken; dip slices into balsamic reduction and serve.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 1-2-3 Balsamic Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (228 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 572.3
- Calories from Fat 348
- Total Fat 38.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 178.2 mg
- Sodium 172.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 42.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: