1/1 Photo of 1-2-3-4 Cake With Caramel Icing
This really a scrumptious cake, though it is true, as some reviewers have noted, that the frosting just barely covers all three layers. You could double the recipe, as some people have done, or you could make a batch and a half. Your call. To make a batch and a half, the measurements would then be: 3/4 cup butter; 1-1/2 cups dark brown sugar; 1/4 + 2 tablespoons milk; and 3 cups of confectioner's sugar. Hopefully, this will give you enough frosting without having too much left over in your bowl, which, if you're anything like me, you will then be forced to eat at least *some* of, so as not to have to wash it all down the sink. ; )
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease three 9-inch-round cake pans.
- 3Line bottoms with waxed paper. Grease paper, and flour insides of pans.
- 4Combine flour and baking powder in bowl.
- 5Beat butter and sugar in another bowl at medium speed until smooth. Add eggs, beating until smooth.
- 6At low speed, alternately beat in four mixture and milk.
- 7Beat in vanilla.
- 8Scrape into prepared pans, dividing evenly.
- 9Bake in 350-degree oven 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.
- 10Remove cakes from pans and cool completely on racks.
- 11Meanwhile, prepare icing. *NOTE: The recipe states that "although the amount of icing seems small, it is enough to frost the cake. If you wish, the recipe may be doubled." I've found this to be true, but I recommend that you either double it or make a batch & a half, which is what I do.
- 12Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Add brown sugar and milk Bring to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- 13Remove from heat. Cool.
- 14Beat confectioners' sugar into milk mixture until smooth.
- 15Frost and stack cake layers on cake plate, spreading 1/3 cup icing between each layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining icing.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 1-2-3-4 Cake With Caramel Icing
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 635.3
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 126.5 mg
- Sodium 136.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 70.8 g
- Protein 6.4 g