Recipe by myrnabarager
My mother just gave me a whole box of recipes and I found this recipe in it. It sounded so good, I baked it for a bake sale. A woman bought a couple of pieces, liked it so much that she came back and bought the rest of the cake. Definitely a keeper... very easy, tasty, and versatile. I made it in a 9x13 pan. You can use milk or water instead of orange juice but I really liked the flavour of the orange juice and the raisins in it.
Top Review by nemokitty
Talk about a good cake! This one is it. Tasted so rich (probably all the butter and sugar) and it rose so high in the 9x13 pan. I'm taking it in to hubby's work and I know they'll love it. Unfortunately I had to leave out the raisins because I didn't have any but it was still so good! Made for PAC Spring 2014.
- 236.59 ml butter or 236.59 ml margarine
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 4 eggs
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml cream of tartar
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 236.59 ml orange juice
- 236.59 ml raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour boiling water over raisins and let sit while preparing rest of cake.
- Cream butter and sugar, beat in eggs.
- Sift flour, cream of tartar and soda. Add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice and vanilla. Drain raisins; add to batter.
- Pour into 9"x13" pan or two 9-inch layer pans which have been buttered and floured.
- Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes for large pan or 30 minutes for layer pans (be sure to test for doneness).
- Can be iced or served with sliced berries and whipped cream. Really good plain too!