1/1 Photo of 1-2-3-4 Cake
Here's a Paula Deen update of my mom's favorite cake recipe. I remember Mom using the recipe as it was, printed on the side of the "Swans Down Cake Flour" box. A great Birthday-Cake kind of recipe, it's called "1-2-3-4 Cake" because, the ingredients, at that time, were listed: "1 cup butter, 2 cups sugar, 3 cups cake flour, 4 eggs" etc. Paula's recipe simplifies some steps, with nothing lost in flavor and texture.
My Private Note
3 layer ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans,.
- 3Using an electric mixer, cream butter until fluffy.
- 4Add sugar and continue to cream well for 6 to 8 minutes.
- 5Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 6Add flour and milk alternately to creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour.
- 7Add vanilla and continue to beat until just mixed.
- 8Divide batter equally among prepared pans.
- 9Level batter in each pan by holding pan 3 or 4 inches above counter, then dropping it flat onto counter.
- 10Do this several times to release air bubbles and assure you of a more level cake.
- 11Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until done.
- 12Cool in pans 5 to 10 minutes.
- 13Invert cakes onto cooling racks.
- 14Cool completely and spread cake layers with your favorite frosting to make a 3-layer cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 1-2-3-4 Cake
Serving Size: 1 (120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 413.1
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 105.5 mg
- Sodium 565.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 33.4 g
- Protein 6.0 g