Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is another of Ma's recipes. Sure to please! You can use any canned pie filling, fresh or dried (reconstituted) fruit of your choice.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (21 ounce) can pie filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon soft butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream butter.
- Add sugar gradually, beating well.
- Add vanilla, almond extract and eggs, one at a time, beating well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture, beat well.
- Grease and flour a 10" x 15" jelly roll pan.
- Divide dough into thirds.
- Roll out 2/3 of dough, place into greased and floured pan.
- Spread on pie filling.
- Roll out remaining 1/3 of dough; place on top of filling and seal, crimp or roll and flute edges.
- (If you find it difficult rolling dough, it may be pressed into pan and top pressed out on waxed paper into 10" x 15" rectangle and transferred to top of filled bottom).
- Bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Mix together all glaze ingredients to make thin glaze.
- Drizzle over cooled squares.
I had a lot of trouble with this dough. It was so soft and sticky that I had to add another 1 1/2 cups of flour just to get it to a pattable consistency--rolling was out of the question. I used Homemade Apple Spread for the filling. The finished squares were delicious, though--sort of like sugar cookies filled with fruit. Thanks for posting!