A delicious Arabian honey treat, and very quick and easy to prepare. The cake is buttery-eggy, and the topping is a chewy confection of butter, sugar, honey, almonds and cinnamon; Ed compares the topping to pecan pie, but it's much more caramelized and toothsome.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1Butter a 8"x8" square glass baking dish.
- 2Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 3Beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla together until the color"lightens" slightly; add melted butter and mix well.
- 4Combine the flour and baking powder, then add to the egg mixture; mixing gently but thoroughly.
- 5Pour into the prepared dish and bake 12 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, prepare the topping by melting the butter in a small saucepan, then adding the sugar, honey, almonds and cinnamon.
- 7Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened a bit (it doesn't need to reach a particular temperature).
- 8After the 12 minutes of baking, take cake out of the oven (it will look a lot like custard at this point) and gently pour the topping onto the cake.
- 9Return cake to the oven and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 1,001 Nights Cake
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 404.8
- Calories from Fat 216
- Total Fat 24.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 128.9 mg
- Sodium 182.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 37.1 g
- Protein 4.9 g