Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Community Cafe / Oddities!
    Lost? Site Map

    Oddities!

    Go to page 1, 2  Next Page >>
    Iron Bloomers
    Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:25 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    I'm talking food oddities. You know those out of the ordinary combos or omissions that seem to go against the usual.

    ketchup on eggs for an example.

    imagine if you can a potato salad with no mayo or dressing of any kind icon_eek.gif That would be my Dad! He never at condiments of any kind, no gravy, or cheese either.

    So share the ones you've encountered, I'm sure I'm not the only one....
    bbl with more
    Becky in Wisconsin
    Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:35 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    There's a few things that come to mind, but most notably, DH used to eat peanut butter, bologna sandwiches. As kids, we would put potato chips on sloppy joes. Which I'm finding out isn't that uncommon. I'm sure as this thread goes on, there'll be more things.
    Chicagoland Chef du Jour
    Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:36 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    This ROCKS icon_arrow.gif Peanut Butter and Bacon Sandwich, I grew up on it!
    I prefer it open face. I turned many kids onto it when I was in college. YUM!
    Zeldaz
    Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:39 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Iron Bloomers wrote:
    I'm talking food oddities. You know those out of the ordinary combos or omissions that seem to go against the usual.

    ketchup on eggs for an example.

    imagine if you can a potato salad with no mayo or dressing of any kind icon_eek.gif That would be my Dad! He never at condiments of any kind, no gravy, or cheese either.

    So share the ones you've encountered, I'm sure I'm not the only one....
    bbl with more

    No dressing at all? No vinegar, no oil? How dry could tthat have been!
    Well, there are people who sugar tomatoes, and those who salt watermelon. And I know I've mentioned this in the past, but my grandmother used to serve Jello "salad" with a prune in it and a blob of mayo on top. Strangely, I loved it.
    Stella Mae
    Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:41 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    I grew up on peanut butter and banana sandwiches, quite a good combo. Now, I hate bananas and I am intolerant to nuts. icon_lol.gif
    Iron Bloomers
    Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:42 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    ok, I grew up on both those peanut butter sandwiches, the bologna & the bacon..still make the bacon one every now & then.

    There was a former family member that when having fried chicken she had to have both mac & cheese & pan fried potatoes or her meal wasn't complete. icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif

    A friends son also ate his canned peaches with ketchup on them...gives me the shivers! icon_lol.gif
    Stella Mae
    Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:58 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Canned peaches with ketchup gives me the shivers, too. icon_eek.gif
    Becky in Wisconsin
    Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:00 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Iron Bloomers wrote:
    ok, I grew up on both those peanut butter sandwiches, the bologna & the bacon..still make the bacon one every now & then.

    There was a former family member that when having fried chicken she had to have both mac & cheese & pan fried potatoes or her meal wasn't complete. icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif

    A friends son also ate his canned peaches with ketchup on them...gives me the shivers! icon_lol.gif


    Ketchup with canned green beans. Dip chips or Fritos in ketchup. Grilled Cheese dipped in ketchup. Never, ever on peaches though yuck.gif
    Iron Bloomers
    Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:21 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Zeldaz wrote:
    Iron Bloomers wrote:
    I'm talking food oddities. You know those out of the ordinary combos or omissions that seem to go against the usual.

    ketchup on eggs for an example.

    imagine if you can a potato salad with no mayo or dressing of any kind icon_eek.gif That would be my Dad! He never at condiments of any kind, no gravy, or cheese either.

    So share the ones you've encountered, I'm sure I'm not the only one....
    bbl with more

    No dressing at all? No vinegar, no oil? How dry could tthat have been!
    Well, there are people who sugar tomatoes, and those who salt watermelon. And I know I've mentioned this in the past, but my grandmother used to serve Jello "salad" with a prune in it and a blob of mayo on top. Strangely, I loved it.


    Nope Zel, you read it correctly...nothing, nada,...but he did use celery salt liberally. And...drum roll please........He would eat mac & cheese without the cheese.........Mom made him a seprate casserole with absolutely no cheese & into the oven it went with the regular one to bake untill the top got a few brown crispies.

    I have never figured out where Dad got his eating habits from cuz Gram loved all condiments & cheeses.
    Zeldaz
    Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:32 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Just saw this in the NYTimes, thought it might qualify . Beer-flavored ice cream. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/26/dining/bottoms-up-ice-cream-made-with-beer.html?src=dayp
    I'm a fan of odd ice cream flavors, but my husband is always repulsed by them. Corn? Avocado? Tomato? Bacon? Beer? Sure, bring it on!
    Kathy228
    Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:57 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    One of my boys would eat pierogies with mustard. Now that he's an adult, he still does.

    I like tuna fish sandwiches with potato chips inside.
    Lots of people eat potato chips in sandwiches.

    These days... there's nothing new under the sun. Anything goes, the weirder the better. Things that used to be strange back when I was growing up are common today.

    But I don't care for the sandwiches at Panini's - with coleslaw and french fries. That's a cleaning-out-the-refrigerator sandwich.
    k
    racrgal
    Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:06 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Growing up my step father put sweet pickles in his chili. I finally tried it and to this day, I put sweet pickles in my chili.
    Zeldaz
    Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:54 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    racrgal wrote:
    Growing up my step father put sweet pickles in his chili. I finally tried it and to this day, I put sweet pickles in my chili.


    Now THAT I could not handle!
    Dee514
    Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:37 pm
    Forum Host
    Whats wrong with ketchup on eggs (or frittatas), and occasionally on mashed potatoes? icon_biggrin.gif
    I used to love ketchup on mashed potatoes when I was a kid. Still have them that way once in awhile when I'm feeling nostalgic.
    Peanut butter and crispy bacon on toast, yummmm!
    Full sour pickle and mayo sandwiches (craved them when I was preg with DD), still eat one now and then.
    racrgal
    Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:44 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Zeldaz wrote:
    racrgal wrote:
    Growing up my step father put sweet pickles in his chili. I finally tried it and to this day, I put sweet pickles in my chili.


    Now THAT I could not handle!


    LOL You stay out of my pickles n chili and I'l stay out of your prunes and Jello.
    Go to page 1, 2  Next Page >> Stop sending e-mails when someone replies
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites