Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Holidays & Entertaining / ZWT9 - My Big Greek Wedding
    Lost? Site Map

    ZWT9 - My Big Greek Wedding

    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Page >>
    evelyn/athens
    Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:06 pm
    Forum Host
    PaulaG wrote:
    Ev,

    I will not quote your post but it was beautiful I almost cried. It only makes we want to visit Greece all that much more. Simply beautiful.

    This line had me rolling on the floor!

    They are so lucky they have me! I am a TOTAL control freak and, it's either my way or the highway!!!

    Thank you for playing. icon_smile.gif

    I am very glad that you did not quote my entire post! (I am actually thinking of turning it into a trilogy, as they appear to be all the rage at the moment icon_wink.gif ).

    If you think it is 'too much', I would gladly edit out the food pics?

    I also wanted to let you know that I came back to add the names of my crew of GORGEOUS GOURMET GODDESSES, as this wedding just wouldn't have been possible without them. icon_smile.gif

    When you come to Greece, Paula dear, I would be proud and honoured to be your guide in Athens and to enjoy many memorable times with you!
    Annacia
    Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:47 pm
    Forum Host
    Really a beautiful post Ev.
    Annacia
    Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:51 pm
    Forum Host





    A WEDDING ON CORFU

    Guess What? During round 1 of ZWT9 AlaskaPam announced that she was to be married! Soon!! In Greece on the island of Corfu *faint* . Before I hit the floor I remember something about her living in Alaska and how welcome a Greek isle would be. Ok, I live in Canada so I fully understand but there was so much to be done.None of us knew anything about Corfu other than it had to be sun filled. A bit of checking was done so we would be able to pack right and here's a bit of what we found.



    Corfu has a history dating back to mythical times (1200-734BC)

    The last stop Odysseus made before his return to Ithaca is the first time Corfu was mentioned in Homer's Odyssey. Apollonius of Rhodes connects the Island with the Argonauts and tells that in Corfu the wedding of Jason and Medea took place.

    In those years Corfu was mentioned along with the names Drepano, Scherie and the Island of Phaeacians. This last name was derived from and given by Phaeax the first King of the island. Nausithous succeeds him, son of Poseidon and a Phaeacian woman named Periboia, daughter of Evrimedontas, King of the giants. Then it is the turn of Alcinous, son of Nausithous, which whom the first written accounts connect the island.

    However, that was a long time ago and we would be looking for some good down time in today's world before getting down to be business of the wedding. After arriving at the Corfu International Airport via Aegean Airlines from Athens



    We all checked into the Akrogiali Rooms.

    This photo of Akrogiali Rooms
    Photos of Akrogiali Rooms, Boukari


    This photo of Akrogiali Rooms
    Photos of Akrogiali Rooms, Boukari


    After showers and cool drinks on the terrace we were all eager to start exploring this beautiful island. We all headed off to the Achilleion Palace.



    Following the national road of Corfu - Achilleion, and turning left at Ponti, the twisting road ascended through the olive groves to the village of Agios Deka (The 10 Saints), and finally arriving in the village of Gastouri. Passing the traditional houses with their lovely flower filled gardens, bougainvillea festooning walls and pergolas awash with color. The road then brought us to the imposing iron gates of the Achilleion Palace, which commands a hilltop location.

    The stunning appearance of this stately palace takes the visitor back in history to when the palace was inhabited by two great figures from European history whose only common bond was their adoration for Corfu, Greece and its culture, Empress Elisabeth of Austria (known as 'Sissi') and Kaiser William II of Germany.

    Empress Elisabeth built the palace to escape the tragedies of her life, and William II purchased it after her untimely death. William II, however, never had a chance to enjoy the palace’s beauty because of a war that broke out, from his own doing.

    During the First and Second World War the palace was abandoned and inevitably pillaged by the enemy. After years of rebuilding and restoration, the palace was finally restored to its former beauty.



    During our tour of the island we found that with the passage of time the island may have changed, but we could still feel the spirit of a distant glorious past. Its rich multicultural heritage, its historic monuments, its stunning natural landscape, its crystal clear seas, and its excellent weather all year round explain to us why Corfu is one of the most cosmopolitan Mediterranean destinations weaving a powerful spell on its visitors.

    Corfu (Kérkyra), unlike the rest of Greece, never fell under the Ottoman oppression. Due to the successive domination's of the Venetians, the French and the British over the centuries, the island has primarily become part of the Western rather the Levantine world. Their culture wielded strong influence in the city: it was here that the first Greek University (the Ionian Academy), the first Philharmonic Orchestra and the First School of Fine Arts were founded. It was then time to get some sleep and next morning start planning the wedding and we didn't have a lot of time.



    With the passage of time the island may have changed, but we can still feel the spirit of a distant glorious past . Its rich multicultural heritage, its historic monuments, its stunning natural landscape, its crystal clear seas, and its excellent weather all year round explain why Corfu is one of the most cosmopolitan Mediterranean destinations weaving a powerful spell on its visitors.

    Corfu (Kérkyra), unlike the rest of Greece, never fell under the Ottoman oppression. Due to the successive domination of the Venetians, the French and the British over the centuries, the island has primarily become part of the Western rather the Levantine world. Their culture wielded strong influence in the city: it was here that the first Greek University (the Ionian Academy), the first Philharmonic Orchestra and the First School of Fine Arts were founded. It was then time to head back to our rooms so we could get busy in the morning.

    First thing next morning The Hotties enjoyed breakfast on the terrace overlooking the Ionian Sea and then we made out way to Corfu Aquarium in Paleokastritsa. We saw a an interesting collection of Mediterranean fish and reptiles. Next we visited the Canal D'Amour and a local couple were happy to demonstrate why it was named such. It was a pretty place and we were glad we stopped and that we were all wearing shorts or pants that we could swim in..


    Canal D'Amour

    Relaxed and happy we were off to see Old Fort (Paleo Frourio). It was well worth a visit. there was lots to see from different periods of the islands history and good views of the port and city. There is a music college in the fort and we could listen in to piano recitals through the open windows.

    [img]Photos of Old Fort (Paleo Frourio), Corfu
    This photo of Old Fort (Paleo Frourio)[/img]
    Paleo Frourio

    There was so much more that we wanted to see! The Museum of Asian Art, Archaeological Museum of Corfu, Folklore Museum of Acharavi, Zoodochos Pigi Monastery and so much more bur sadly we just didn't have the time to see everything because we has a wedding to plan and make happen

    For Greeks, a wedding is an elaborate celebration with traditions that date back to ancient Greece. The bride and groom wear crowns on their heads that represent both honor and glory and are usually white and orange joined with a silver ribbon, symbolizing the union of the newlyweds. After the vows, the bride and groom―still adorned in their crowns―walk around the altar three times, representing their first steps as a married couple.

    For a Greek wedding the first thing you need is family it seems. Good thing we brought our own we brought our own in Team Hot Stuff!. Lavender Lynn learned of a wedding tradition: A Greek bride is known to carry a lump of sugar on her while walking down the aisle in hopes of a sweet and prosperous life. This was easy for us to manage, especially as Lynn brought us the sugar cube icon_biggrin.gif

    Fortunately Pam had brought her dress but we needed a location for the ceremony so we didn't need to panic about that. Miss Fanny accepted the task of making sure that the bride and groom (who we were yet to meet) would have a proper wedding cake. In fact she wouldn't hear of a wedding without one so off she went. Honestly we didn't have a lot of hope on such short notice.

    We needed a church!! Our katew, being a most resourceful Aussie took on this job and BOY did she do well. for some reason unknown an event at the Vlacherna monastery was cancelled and they suddenly had an opening. We haven't ask her how this lucky event happened but she hasn't wanted to talk about it anyway.


    Vlacherna monastery

    Eating to Greeks is life itself and we had to have a wedding feast to remember. Cadillacgirl and Charmie777 became our shoppers and waht they were able to acquire on Corfu was nothing short of amazing. It took CaliforniaJan, Sharon123, IngridH and myself 3 days in a rented kitchen to get all of the food ready on time.

    Wedding Menu

    We finally met Stephonos on the eve of the wedding and we all approve of the match. One word of warning if Pam and Stephonos ever come to your home don't leave any dishes out if he's likely to be celebrating. We had to dig deep to repay the kitchen owner.

    The wedding was beautiful:






    The groom had changed into evening wear icon_wink.gif

    Miss Fanny's cake was truly a Greek treasure.



    and that night the entire island celebrated with us:





    Best wishes for a happy and long life together Pam and Stephonos.


    Last edited by Annacia on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:56 am, edited 3 times in total
    PaulaG
    Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:26 pm
    Forum Host
    evelyn/athens wrote:
    PaulaG wrote:
    Ev,

    I will not quote your post but it was beautiful I almost cried. It only makes we want to visit Greece all that much more. Simply beautiful.

    This line had me rolling on the floor!

    They are so lucky they have me! I am a TOTAL control freak and, it's either my way or the highway!!!

    Thank you for playing. icon_smile.gif

    I am very glad that you did not quote my entire post! (I am actually thinking of turning it into a trilogy, as they appear to be all the rage at the moment icon_wink.gif ).

    If you think it is 'too much', I would gladly edit out the food pics?

    I also wanted to let you know that I came back to add the names of my crew of GORGEOUS GOURMET GODDESSES, as this wedding just wouldn't have been possible without them. icon_smile.gif

    When you come to Greece, Paula dear, I would be proud and honoured to be your guide in Athens and to enjoy many memorable times with you!


    Please leave your post as is. It is wonderful. Thank you so much for your generous offer. I have always wanted to visit Greece and so hope that dream becomes a reality. When it happens I'll let you know.

    Paula
    Annacia
    Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:36 pm
    Forum Host
    PaulaG wrote:
    evelyn/athens wrote:
    PaulaG wrote:
    Ev,

    I will not quote your post but it was beautiful I almost cried. It only makes we want to visit Greece all that much more. Simply beautiful.

    This line had me rolling on the floor!

    They are so lucky they have me! I am a TOTAL control freak and, it's either my way or the highway!!!

    Thank you for playing. icon_smile.gif

    I am very glad that you did not quote my entire post! (I am actually thinking of turning it into a trilogy, as they appear to be all the rage at the moment icon_wink.gif ).

    If you think it is 'too much', I would gladly edit out the food pics?

    I also wanted to let you know that I came back to add the names of my crew of GORGEOUS GOURMET GODDESSES, as this wedding just wouldn't have been possible without them. icon_smile.gif

    When you come to Greece, Paula dear, I would be proud and honoured to be your guide in Athens and to enjoy many memorable times with you!


    Please leave your post as is. It is wonderful. Thank you so much for your generous offer. I have always wanted to visit Greece and so hope that dream becomes a reality. When it happens I'll let you know.

    Paula


    Paula, May I just correct my deplorable spelling in my post?
    PaulaG
    Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:36 am
    Forum Host
    Yes, you may. I think I was actually referring to ev's post. She was wanting to delete photos and she had some beauties. Correct away. icon_smile.gif
    Annacia
    Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:51 am
    Forum Host
    PaulaG wrote:
    Yes, you may. I think I was actually referring to ev's post. She was wanting to delete photos and she had some beauties. Correct away. icon_smile.gif


    Done icon_biggrin.gif
    PaulaG
    Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:53 am
    Forum Host
    Annacia wrote:
    PaulaG wrote:
    Yes, you may. I think I was actually referring to ev's post. She was wanting to delete photos and she had some beauties. Correct away. icon_smile.gif


    Done icon_biggrin.gif


    Annacia,

    I read your beautiful post. The island sounds wonderful. How lucky can you be with the cancellation at the monastery.. I'm curious did you travel by air? Also, what sort of activity did all the guests enjoy during their stay. I was so enamored by the photos that I may have missed it.
    Annacia
    Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:37 am
    Forum Host
    PaulaG wrote:
    Annacia wrote:
    PaulaG wrote:
    Yes, you may. I think I was actually referring to ev's post. She was wanting to delete photos and she had some beauties. Correct away. icon_smile.gif


    Done icon_biggrin.gif


    Annacia,

    I read your beautiful post. The island sounds wonderful. How lucky can you be with the cancellation at the monastery.. I'm curious did you travel by air? Also, what sort of activity did all the guests enjoy during their stay. I was so enamored by the photos that I may have missed it.


    I didn't want it to be over long because I can really rattle on sometimes icon_redface.gif. I have added the info that I had but left out.

    I think that the cancellation was just destiny icon_wink.gif
    PaulaG
    Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:17 am
    Forum Host
    Thank you much. It is beautiful.
    Annacia
    Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:44 am
    Forum Host
    PaulaG wrote:
    Thank you much. It is beautiful.


    Thanks much my friend.
    sheepdoc
    Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:37 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    For Mike and the Appliance Killers

    Dear Guest,

    Good morning! I'm the wedding planner and tour guide for the all-expenses-paid destination wedding trip you have been invited to join in celebration of the wedding of Missy Moneybags and Bart Megabucks.

    Meet at O’Hare airport on Tuesday, September 10, 2013, at 4 PM for the SwissAir flight to Athens: The plane leaves Chicago at 7:25 PM and arrives in Athens at 4:35 PM on Wednesday with a layover in Zurich.

    We will stay one night at the Sofitel hotel near the Athens airport in Spata, Greece. Explore Athens on your own Wednesday night and Thursday before we leave for Karpathos from the Athens airport on Thursday, September 12, 2013 on Olympic Air at 6:05 PM, arriving at 7:20 PM.

    Upon arrival, we will check into the beautiful 5-star Alimounda Mare hotel, winner of the Tripadvisor 2013 Luxury Hotel award. The hotel is located right on the beach, a five minute walk to the harbor and the center of Pigadia, Karpathos’ capital. Rooms and suites have sea views or mountain views. (photos from hotel website)





    On Friday we will go on the Saria Island diving safari at the Karpathos Diving Center to enjoy the crystal clear water with diverse marine life, colorful caverns, deep walls, stunning reefs and wrecks. Between dives and for those that would rather not dive, there is snorkeling in the stunning clear water off some of the most beautiful beaches in the world or just relaxing on the beach. (photos from Karpathos Diving Center website).






    The big event, Missy and Bart's wedding, will be Saturday at the The Church of Aghia Kyriaki, about 2.5 km SE of Pigadia.



    Reception to follow at the Alimounda Mare hotel:

    ZWT9 Big Greek Wedding, Mike and the Appliance Killers





    Your hotel stay is paid through Monday morning, September 16, 2013, and return plane tickets will be waiting for you at the concierge desk. They may be used Monday or at a later date if you would like to extend your stay at Karpathos.

    We are all so excited about Missy and Bart's wedding and looking forward to spending the week with you.
    Elmotoo
    Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:16 pm
    Forum Host
    Beautiful, sheepdoc!!

    xo Bethie
    PaulaG
    Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:15 am
    Forum Host
    Loved it! A great menu to go with the perfect trip.
    Debbwl
    Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:54 pm
    Forum Host
    Wow what great weddings!!

    This thread is the next best thing to getting to being at such an event. icon_biggrin.gif
    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Page >> E-mail me when someone replies to this
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites