Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Cooking Q & A / Preparing lasagne a day ahead
    Lost? Site Map

    Preparing lasagne a day ahead

    DesertRose15
    Tue May 07, 2013 11:59 am
    Experienced "Head Chef" Poster
    I'll be making lasagne to serve on Sat. night. If I prepare it on Fri. morning, should I bake it right away, then reheat before serving? Or should I leave it in the refrigerator and bake it right before serving?
    Thanks!
    Zeldaz
    Tue May 07, 2013 12:10 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Either way would work, but because lasagna needs to rest after baking in order to firm up, I'd bake it the day before.
    Chocolatl
    Tue May 07, 2013 1:10 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    It will be better if you bake it the day you are to serve it. Cheese that has been melted and cooled changes in structure and won't have the same flavor or texture if it's reheated.
    DrGaellon
    Tue May 07, 2013 11:13 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    I sort-of agree with both Zeldaz and Chocolatl. I'd bake it the day before, without cheese on top - spread the top layer of noodles with sauce, and cover with foil, then bake and cool completely. I'd add more sauce and a layer of shredded cheese when reheating.
    Kathy228
    Wed May 08, 2013 6:44 am
    Food.com Groupie
    I've always made it the night before. The next day take it out of the fridge and let it warm to room temperature - then bake as usual. This has always worked great for me. icon_smile.gif
    Chocolatl
    Wed May 08, 2013 12:23 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    DrGaellon wrote:
    I sort-of agree with both Zeldaz and Chocolatl. I'd bake it the day before, without cheese on top - spread the top layer of noodles with sauce, and cover with foil, then bake and cool completely. I'd add more sauce and a layer of shredded cheese when reheating.


    This definitely sounds like a good way to do it! icon_biggrin.gif
    Zeldaz
    Wed May 08, 2013 3:03 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    I don't put cheese on the top until it's resting, still in the warm oven with the door ajar. There's plenty of residual heat to melt it and I prefer it melty rather than browned, although I know some like it that way.
    Chocolatl
    Wed May 08, 2013 4:04 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Zeldaz wrote:
    I don't put cheese on the top until it's resting, still in the warm oven with the door ajar. There's plenty of residual heat to melt it and I prefer it melty rather than browned, although I know some like it that way.


    It doesn't melt quite enough for me that way.
    DesertRose15
    Wed May 08, 2013 7:11 pm
    Experienced "Head Chef" Poster
    thank you all for your help!
    DesertRose15
    Wed May 08, 2013 7:52 pm
    Experienced "Head Chef" Poster
    Kathy228 wrote:
    I've always made it the night before. The next day take it out of the fridge and let it warm to room temperature - then bake as usual. This has always worked great for me. icon_smile.gif


    Kathy, can you clarify...do you make it the night before and refrigerate it unbaked, then bake before serving? thanks!
    SarasotaCook
    Thu May 09, 2013 12:25 am
    Food.com Groupie
    I also make the night before. Just like I was going to bake it. Make sure it is cool before putting it in the refrigerator.
    Refrigerate. Cover with foil

    Next day. Let it come to room temp before baking
    Bake,
    Then let it rest 15-20 minute before serving.
    JoyfulCook
    Thu May 09, 2013 4:44 am
    Forum Host
    I tend to make the meat filling, tomato sauce etc all the day before, then just put it together the next day it it only takes me 10 minutes to put it together before I cook it.
    Kathy228
    Thu May 09, 2013 6:30 am
    Food.com Groupie
    DesertRose15 wrote:
    Kathy228 wrote:
    I've always made it the night before. The next day take it out of the fridge and let it warm to room temperature - then bake as usual.
    Kathy, can you clarify...do you make it the night before and refrigerate it unbaked, then bake before serving? thanks!

    Yes, I make it the night before and DO NOT bake it. By refrigerating it uncooked, the ingredients meld together well and the noodles absorb some moisture producing a nicely firm lasagna that doesn't slide around and run after baking and cutting. I cover it with foil to protect the cheese, removing the foil the last 15-20 minutes to melt it (we don't like the cheese browned either).
    k
    SarasotaCook
    Thu May 09, 2013 6:32 am
    Food.com Groupie
    I do bake with the foil on and remove the last 15, just to melt and maybe just a little crunch on the edges is all.
    E-mail me when someone replies to this
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites