Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Critter Cafe / To adopt or NOT
    Lost? Site Map

    To adopt or NOT

    Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next Page >>
    Connie Lea
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:56 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Okay guys, I need you to tell me we are nuts. In a moment of insanity, I went on the web side - Orphaned Oklahoma Poodle Services. I found 11 poodles for adoption. There is this one adorable ten year old silver minature poodle I fell in love with. Like an idiot I filled out an application. We have three dogs (my brother kind of took over Mom's dog in Minnesota). Anyway, I have a cuddly dog and a playful dog and a kind of standoffish dog, so definitely don't need another one. Three is much easier to handle than four BUT, he is so cute and his owner passed away and he REALLY needs a home. I miss Maggie so much. There is just something special about a poodle. But I need you to tell me NO -NO-NO. I don't have much willpower.
    Saralaya
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:44 pm
    Forum Host
    Connie Lea wrote:
    Okay guys, I need you to tell me we are nuts. In a moment of insanity, I went on the web side - Orphaned Oklahoma Poodle Services. I found 11 poodles for adoption. There is this one adorable ten year old silver minature poodle I fell in love with. Like an idiot I filled out an application. We have three dogs (my brother kind of took over Mom's dog in Minnesota). Anyway, I have a cuddly dog and a playful dog and a kind of standoffish dog, so definitely don't need another one. Three is much easier to handle than four BUT, he is so cute and his owner passed away and he REALLY needs a home. I miss Maggie so much. There is just something special about a poodle. But I need you to tell me NO -NO-NO. I don't have much willpower.


    Can't be much help to you Connie.... if you fell for this little one so hard.... well.. I think the main question is, can you afford to care for a senior dog who may need medical care? Sounds like the little guy could really use a new home for however many years he has left. It must have been so confusing for him to have his person "disappear" (ie: pass away) and for him to wind up in a rescue.... well... I can't tell you what to do, one way or the other..but it sounds to me like you have already made up your mind!
    K9 Owned
    Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:22 am
    Forum Host
    You aren't going to hear a 'No, No no from me doll.
    I think it's a match made in heaven. I ache for dogs that have been loved all of their lives and then end up at a pound because the owner died or had to go to a nursing home.

    Just. can. not. tell you no as adopting or fostering older dogs is what Don and I will be doing in future.

    Send pics once you have it and keep us up to date on the progress. rotfl.gif

    *She says for us to tell her no rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif As IF!
    Saralaya
    Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:52 am
    Forum Host
    (Yeah,,, pics,,,we're gonna want pics....... icon_biggrin.gif )
    Krislady
    Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:21 pm
    Forum Host
    K9 said basically what I TRIED to say last night, only me post just DISAPPEARED. (I am still getting used to the laptop, I guess. icon_rolleyes.gif

    Anyway, the older and more grey Jar's muzzle gets, the more of a soft spot I find for the older, pre-enjoyed dogs. icon_wink.gif

    Everything else aside, they've probably got a harder time finding a home - you may be his (?) best shot - besides being an awesome dog mom!
    Connie Lea
    Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:29 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Thanks guys. We drove to Tulsa for the adoption fair. The little silver male was already adopted by the time we got there. There was a ten year old apricot female who is blind. I fell in love with her; she just snuggled up when I held her. We keep going back and forth but have kind of decided against her. We both feel so bad for her but just don't think she could get used to two different houses, plus Zoey would be a little pest. I know Zoey wouldn't leave her alone because she bugs the heck out of Kate and Abbey wanting them to play and this little girl wouldn't be able to see Zoey coming toward her. We may be better off with a little younger dog who would play with Zoey. They have 10 dogs left but guess we'll just wait to hear from OOPS. Maybe they won't even accept us since we already have three dogs. One little guy was abandoned in a store parking lot. And another one was turned out onto the street by the family after the owner died. There has to be a special hell for people like that.
    Saralaya
    Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:35 pm
    Forum Host
    Connie Lea wrote:
    Thanks guys. We drove to Tulsa for the adoption fair. The little silver male was already adopted by the time we got there. There was a ten year old apricot female who is blind. I fell in love with her; she just snuggled up when I held her. We keep going back and forth but have kind of decided against her. We both feel so bad for her but just don't think she could get used to two different houses, plus Zoey would be a little pest. I know Zoey wouldn't leave her alone because she bugs the heck out of Kate and Abbey wanting them to play and this little girl wouldn't be able to see Zoey coming toward her. We may be better off with a little younger dog who would play with Zoey. They have 10 dogs left but guess we'll just wait to hear from OOPS. Maybe they won't even accept us since we already have three dogs. One little guy was abandoned in a store parking lot. And another one was turned out onto the street by the family after the owner died. There has to be a special hell for people like that.


    Not meant to make you feel badly Connie...honest... but for the future... a blind dog would not be ambushed by Zoey (at least not more than once...lol) Like blind humans, the remaining senses of blind dogs are enhanced as well..so she would learn to hear and smell Zoey coming. As for two houses, she would know which place she was in by smell and sounds that she can hear and once she learned her way around, should be fine in either place.
    Connie Lea
    Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:56 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Thanks Sara for your help. You may have made us strongly consider her (her name is Mary) I'll try to post her picture here, but don't know if I know how to do it.

    http://d1ihe8iurr5ss7.cloudfront.net/animals/fullsize/s4460a5406686m15271403.jpg

    We will talk to the foster mom and maybe if they come out to do a home assessment, will see if they can bring her along to see how she gets along with our dogs. We just keep going back and forth about her. We both really want her, just wasn't sure how it would work out. You have helped us a lot.
    K9 Owned
    Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:04 pm
    Forum Host
    Aw..she is a sweetie!
    Saralaya is right. Many special needs dogs are very easy to keep. Her hearing is likely to be enhanced and also at 10 she is young enough to be playful. We met up with some people yesterday and Madison went through her "oh I need a new home, will you take me?" routine. The people laughed and said she was obviously a puppy from her exuberance. They were floored when I sid she'd be 10 in a few weeks time.

    Having said all of this... make sure that she is the right dog for you guys. There will always (and sadly) be plenty of dogs needing a loving home. You will be able to find a near perfect fit if Mary doesn't work out. Hugs to you for wanting to rescue another furbaby! grouphug.gif
    Saralaya
    Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:11 pm
    Forum Host
    Connie, I'm glad I helped....I see stories all the time about blind dogs and cats as well as deaf ones.... they adapt just like humans do, especially if they lost their sight or hearing at birth or early on.....

    Here are some resources I found...

    http://www.blinddogs.net/

    http://www.blinddogs.net/tips_help.html

    http://www.blinddogrescue.com/aboutblinddogs/blinddogtips.html

    They both recommend putting small bells on the other dog's collar to start, and clicker training as well... weren't you working on bell or clicker training with your guys?
    Connie Lea
    Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:39 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Sara and K9 - thank you both so much. Will just have to wait now until OOPS processes our application and see if we are accepted. Will let you know. They said it should be either today or tomorrow, probably tomorrow since today is President's Day.
    Connie Lea
    Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:41 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Saralaya wrote:
    Connie, I'm glad I helped....I see stories all the time about blind dogs and cats as well as deaf ones.... they adapt just like humans do, especially if they lost their sight or hearing at birth or early on.....

    Here are some resources I found...

    http://www.blinddogs.net/

    http://www.blinddogs.net/tips_help.html

    http://www.blinddogrescue.com/aboutblinddogs/blinddogtips.html

    They both recommend putting small bells on the other dog's collar to start, and clicker training as well... weren't you working on bell or clicker training with your guys?

    Thanks for the web sites Sara. I had looked up a few last night, but most of them were pretty discouraging. They said the dogs could get aggressive because they were frustrated. We did have bells on the back door before we put in a dog door so they could let us know when they needed to go out. I didn't do real well with clicker training but may have to try it again.
    Saralaya
    Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:48 pm
    Forum Host
    Connie Lea wrote:
    Saralaya wrote:
    Connie, I'm glad I helped....I see stories all the time about blind dogs and cats as well as deaf ones.... they adapt just like humans do, especially if they lost their sight or hearing at birth or early on.....

    Here are some resources I found...

    http://www.blinddogs.net/

    http://www.blinddogs.net/tips_help.html

    http://www.blinddogrescue.com/aboutblinddogs/blinddogtips.html

    They both recommend putting small bells on the other dog's collar to start, and clicker training as well... weren't you working on bell or clicker training with your guys?

    Thanks for the web sites Sara. I had looked up a few last night, but most of them were pretty discouraging. They said the dogs could get aggressive because they were frustrated. We did have bells on the back door before we put in a dog door so they could let us know when they needed to go out. I didn't do real well with clicker training but may have to try it again.


    I would imagine that just if a person who suddenly loses her sight might become upset and angry, so might a dog or cat, if not treated with care and understanding.... but everything I've seen on facebook and on those sites I saw indicate that everything should be fine. This dog sounds as though she has been without sight for quite some time, so she should be well adjusted.
    Saralaya
    Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:17 pm
    Forum Host
    OK.. I'm staying IN today because the wind chills are ridiculous..so I was fooling around on the computer.... Connie , if you are on facebook, here are a group you might get some good info from:

    https://www.facebook.com/blinddogrescue

    and this amazing deaf and blind dog....

    http://www.lidog.org/parker_bio.htm

    and here is Parker's facebook page:

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkers-Fan-Club/354321824588679
    Connie Lea
    Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:22 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Okay - for better or worse. OOPS called this afternoon and we drove to Tulsa and picked Molly (Mary) up. They didn't have her for very long, so she wasn't really used to her name, so we changed it to Molly. We got home just a little while ago. She ate supper and has been exploring the house. I don't know how she does it but she runs into very few things. She crawled in Abby's kennel and then back out. There was a tv tray and another dog bed in her way and she maneuvered around them just fine. I stopped on the way home and picked up a harness, bed and food bowl for her. She crawled into her bed, laid down and when I scratched her head, she rolled over for me to rub her tummy. She is such a sweetheart. If you call her name, she comes to you with tail wagging. I'm beginning to think we were worried for nothing. They did say we could bring her back if it didn't work out but I can't see why it wouldn't. She is the one who was abandoned in a parking lot. Wish us luck. Zoey isn't too happy about this She wouldn't even eat tonight. I didn't bring my camera down here but as soon as we get back to Minnesota will send more pictures.
    Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next Page >> Stop sending e-mails when someone replies
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites