Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Middle East & North Africa / FEBRUARY'S SUN and SPICE EVENT
    Lost? Site Map

    FEBRUARY'S SUN and SPICE EVENT

    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 96, 97, 98  Next Page >>
    Annacia
    Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:27 am
    Forum Host
    Hi Rita

    I'll be very happy to join you. icon_biggrin.gif

    If there was a way to buy that glass st the bottom, I would SO buy one!
    Rita~
    Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:30 am
    Forum Host
    Annacia wrote:
    Hi Rita

    I'll be very happy to join you. icon_biggrin.gif

    If there was a way to buy that glass st the bottom, I would SO buy one!
    If I have time while in the mall I`ll check Tevana.
    Rita~
    Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:31 am
    Forum Host
    Off to work soon. Have a Great day!
    Annacia
    Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:33 am
    Forum Host
    Oh my gosh, wouldn't it be great to actually find them for sale (and under $50.00, lol).
    Annacia
    Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:33 am
    Forum Host
    Rita~ wrote:
    Off to work soon. Have a Great day!


    You too hon. wave.gif
    Annacia
    Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:37 am
    Forum Host
    Zalat Coffee
    39 Moussa Ibn El Noseer Street from El Tayaran Street, Cairo



    This quaint old world style coffee shop is a gem among the streets of Cairo. A cool, tranquil interior serves as a welcome respite from the Egyptian sun. A great selection of coffees are available, as well as a large number of other beverages. Be sure to dress up for the occasion - kids are welcome.
    Rita~
    Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:48 am
    Forum Host
    Why does Northern Egypt put mint in their tea and the south typically does not?

    Northern Africa, particularly along the Mediterranean coast, is home to one of the oldest trading routes in history. The ancient ancient Greeks, the Carthaginians, the Romans all used it in ancient times. It was the path which bore the spread of Islam in the middle ages. They crossed from Arabia to modern Morocco and from there mounted their successful invasion of Spain, which wasn’t broken entirely until 1492; centuries later.

    In more modern times, this trade route would be used by the Ottoman Empire and the Spanish who had procession of western northern Africa in the 18th century. It would be the age of imperialism that tea would be introduced to the region. Tea’s popularity would be solidified with the British occupation of Egypt in the later part of The Long Century (19th century. It is sometimes called The Long Century because its’ important events began with the French Revolution in 1789 and ended with the Treaty of Versailles in Nov. 1918)

    Anyway, what I am trying to point out is that Northern Africa has always been a place where trade occurred, and where there is trade, there is an exchanging of ideas and CULTURE. In our case that would mean the use of mint in tea.

    Because southern Egypt is not a part of this trade highway, they were not as directly affected by the idea of mint tea as the north was. In fact, Mint Tea is commonplace along the entirety of North Africa, from Morocco to Arabia
    Annacia
    Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:07 am
    Forum Host
    Rita~ wrote:
    Why does Northern Egypt put mint in their tea and the south typically does not?

    Northern Africa, particularly along the Mediterranean coast, is home to one of the oldest trading routes in history. The ancient ancient Greeks, the Carthaginians, the Romans all used it in ancient times. It was the path which bore the spread of Islam in the middle ages. They crossed from Arabia to modern Morocco and from there mounted their successful invasion of Spain, which wasn’t broken entirely until 1492; centuries later.

    In more modern times, this trade route would be used by the Ottoman Empire and the Spanish who had procession of western northern Africa in the 18th century. It would be the age of imperialism that tea would be introduced to the region. Tea’s popularity would be solidified with the British occupation of Egypt in the later part of The Long Century (19th century. It is sometimes called The Long Century because its’ important events began with the French Revolution in 1789 and ended with the Treaty of Versailles in Nov. 1918)

    Anyway, what I am trying to point out is that Northern Africa has always been a place where trade occurred, and where there is trade, there is an exchanging of ideas and CULTURE. In our case that would mean the use of mint in tea.

    Because southern Egypt is not a part of this trade highway, they were not as directly affected by the idea of mint tea as the north was. In fact, Mint Tea is commonplace along the entirety of North Africa, from Morocco to Arabia


    I had never thought about mint tea being only a coastal commonality. Great info Rita icon_biggrin.gif
    UmmBinat
    Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:35 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Annacia wrote:


    I thought that we might take a pictorial tour of the Middle East today. What might we see if we all packed a bag or two and went there?:



    At the confluence of south-western Asia and north-eastern Africa, lies the centre of a region commonly referred to as the Middle East.

    The countries of the Middle East are steeped in history and tradition, having witnessed over 5,000 years of changing civilisation and culture along with the birth of the world’s three great monotheistic religions - Judaism, Christianity and Islam, the latter being predominant throughout the region.

    Photos of Oman - Featured Images
    This photo of Oman courtesy of TripAdvisor.

    How about a little off roading for a day of fun.

    Photos of Oman - Featured Images
    This photo of Oman is courtesy of TripAdvisor

    Enjoy real Turkish coffee in Istanbul.

    Istanbul Photos
    This photo of Istanbul is courtesy of TripAdvisor

    Still in Istanbul we could visit historic and very beautiful places.

    Istanbul Photos
    This photo of Istanbul is courtesy of TripAdvisor

    Go shopping!

    Istanbul Photos
    This photo of Istanbul is courtesy of TripAdvisor

    How about a bus tour of Dubai?

    Photos of Dubai - Featured Images
    This photo of Dubai is courtesy of TripAdvisor

    See the world's tallest building, la Burji Kalifa

    Photos of Dubai - Featured Images
    This photo of Dubai is courtesy of TripAdvisor

    Have dinner at Dubai's dxb burdeaux

    Photos of Dubai - Featured Images
    This photo of Dubai is courtesy of TripAdvisor


    What would you like to see and do?


    I always think of Turkey as part of Europe except for in this game icon_smile.gif
    Annacia
    Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:59 am
    Forum Host
    [quote="UmmBinat"]
    Annacia wrote:


    I always think of Turkey as part of Europe except for in this game icon_smile.gif




    Hi Ummie

    I always feel like Israel should be included too
    Annacia
    Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:03 pm
    Forum Host
    Don't forget everyone that today is the last day that AVOCADO will count for the Prime Ingredient.

    Make them count while you can. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? icon_wink.gif


    Lalaloula
    Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:20 pm
    Forum Host
    Hello everyone,

    how are you all doing on this beautiful Sunday? I hope youre all having a lovely day! icon_smile.gif
    Im off uni tomorrow, so Ill probably stay up a bit longer today and have a nice evening with my sis watching a movie or something. I still have to work tomorrow, but at least I can sleep until 8 am instead of 6 am. icon_biggrin.gif

    Loula
    pammyowl
    Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:27 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Hi,Loula! wave.gif We are in the middle of our blizzard, not nearly as bad as the east coast one, though. It rained this morning, then sleet, now big fat snowflakes. The streets are like skating rinks!
    Annacia
    Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:34 pm
    Forum Host
    Hi Loula wave.gif

    Good news, you get a bit of personal time hon. Enjoy!

    Everything is current icon_wink.gif
    Lalaloula
    Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:49 pm
    Forum Host
    pammyowl wrote:
    Hi,Loula! wave.gif We are in the middle of our blizzard, not nearly as bad as the east coast one, though. It rained this morning, then sleet, now big fat snowflakes. The streets are like skating rinks!


    Hey Pammy! wave.gif

    Im so glad to hear youre doing better than expected with the storm. Please stay safe!

    Loula
    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 96, 97, 98  Next Page >> E-mail me when someone replies to this
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites