Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Middle East & North Africa / FEBRUARY'S SUN and SPICE EVENT
    Lost? Site Map

    FEBRUARY'S SUN and SPICE EVENT

    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 96, 97, 98  Next Page >>
    LifeIsGood
    Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:21 am
    Forum Host
    UmmBinat wrote:
    Annacia wrote:
    pammyowl wrote:
    Annacia wrote:
    Studentchef wrote:
    Annacia wrote:
    Studentchef wrote:
    Annacia wrote:
    Studentchef wrote:
    I have made and reviewed Chicken & Broccoli Cannelloni by Um Safia!


    P.S. Could you give me a hint where the other vegetables are so I could find them! I'm too lazy to go look for them, myself. icon_twisted.gif


    The review hasn't posted yet so I can't log it yet. I'm curious, did you just skip the chicken or sub in something else to replace the lost volume?

    Well, I could tell you where they are (we keep a log of where we put them so we forget) but if I did Loula and Bethie would do something evil...like taking my coffee away for the rest of the month. I'm sorry hon, but I just can't risk that. Can you imagine me with no coffee? icon_eek.gif

    As to the hint, they will be found in this thread icon_wink.gif


    No, I didn't sub anything. Was I supposed to?


    Did you tag this somewhere else hon? I don't have it listed on pg 1 and all tags in this game must be meatless. Veggie and NA/ME forum's both.

    I did however add a smilie to Qishr - Yemeni Ginger Coffee #288851 by Um Safia icon_wink.gif


    I see what went wrong! I wrote in the wrong number! But, yes, the coffee was the only one I tagged from Umm Safia, and that was the one I was referring to.


    OK, no chicken and broccoli and we are all good.

    Nice coffee isn't it. icon_biggrin.gif

    Hows your morning going?


    It was a happy accident though, StudendChef. I have a delicious sounding recipe to try! icon_lol.gif


    Morning pammy wave.gif

    It does sound good icon_wink.gif

    I was veggie before I married DH and while I still have strong veggie leanings I can certainly enjoy chicken, fish or an occasional steak. Should I admit that in this thread? icon_lol.gif


    I think it's more polite not to talk about it here.


    I wondered about that when I was posting a few days ago, but decided that this is in the NA/ME forum and it was okay. Plus, you all encourage chat! icon_biggrin.gif icon_wink.gif
    Annacia
    Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:48 am
    Forum Host
    LifeIsGood wrote:


    I wondered about that when I was posting a few days ago, but decided that this is in the NA/ME forum and it was okay. Plus, you all encourage chat! icon_biggrin.gif icon_wink.gif


    I don't think that it's a forbidden mention. It was made clear in the rules that a player isn't expected to shun meats for the month. We are enjoying all manner of veggie goodies this month. Hopefully this will introduce some folks to the excellent options and tastes available to be enjoyed.

    We surely do encourage chat, it's fun and we can pick up useful tips from each other.

    Chat on icon_biggrin.gif
    LifeIsGood
    Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:52 am
    Forum Host
    Thanks, Annacia. I agree. It's topics like these that help me to 'lean' a little bit more towards veg.

    It's all good!

    I hope you're having a great morning! icon_biggrin.gif
    Annacia
    Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:54 am
    Forum Host
    Here are both some fun and interesting facts about California avocados. Enjoy:

    Avocados are a fruit, not a vegetable.

    In Brazil avocados mixed in with ice cream is a very popular dessert.

    The avocado is also called an Alligator Pear because of its pear-like shape and it's bumpy green skin.

    California produces about 90% of the nation's avocado crop.

    San Diego County is the Avocado Capital of the U.S., producing 60% of all the avocados grown in California.

    There are about 7,000 avocado groves in California; the average size is around 10 acres.

    A single California Avocado tree can produce about 500 avocados (or 200 pounds of fruit) a year, although the usual average is about 60 pounds from 150 avocados.

    There are seven varieties of avocados grown commercially in California, but the Hass is the most popular, accounting for approximately 95% of the total crop volume.

    The oldest living avocado tree is found on the University of California, Berkeley campus and was planted in 1879.

    About 43% of all U.S. households buy avocados.

    To tell if an avocado is really perfectly ripe, hold it in the palm of your hand and gently squeeze. Hard as a rock? Not ripe. Squishy? Overripe. Have as much give as chilled butter? Perfectly ripe.

    Avocados are cholesterol and sodium-free.

    Avocados have the highest fiber content of any fruit and contain vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E, potassium, magnesium, and folate.

    Avocados will not ripen on the tree. They must be picked from the tree to initiate ripening. The leaves supply a substance that prevents ripening. The best way to store avocados is to leave them on the tree; they will store for 7 months or more when left on the tree.

    Over 5% of all avocados are sold in the 2 weeks leading into the Super Bowl. That's a lot of avocados!
    Annacia
    Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:59 am
    Forum Host
    LifeIsGood wrote:
    Thanks, Annacia. I agree. It's topics like these that help me to 'lean' a little bit more towards veg.

    It's all good!

    I hope you're having a great morning! icon_biggrin.gif


    It's a good morning except for the fact that I somehow disabled the sound output on my puter yesterday icon_evil.gif . I know exactly what I clicked but it won't allow me to unclick it. I'm hoping that my puter doc has the time to make a house call this afternoon.

    Skyrim leaves a lot to be desired without sound. rotfl.gif
    Annacia
    Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:08 am
    Forum Host
    Better Fun Facts icon_lol.gif

    20 Facts About Avocados

    avocado factsAvocados are a fruit, not a vegetable.

    There are more than 500 avocado varieties.

    Avocados are native to Central and South America, where they have been cultivated for over 10,000 years.

    Another name for the avocado is the "alligator pear," so-called because of its alligator skin texture and pear shape.

    The Aztec word for avocado was ahuacatl, which means "testicle tree".

    Spanish explorers could not pronounce ahuacatl, so they called the avocado aguacate. This is the origin of the word guacamole.

    The origin of guacamole is the Aztec avocado sauce called ahuaca-hulli.

    Avocados were first introduced to the United States in 1871, when Judge R.B. Ord planted three trees in Santa Barbara, California.

    The Hass is the most common avocado in the United States and is the only avocado grown year round.

    Rudolph Hass, a postman, patented the Hass avocado tree in 1935. The first Hass avocado tree is still alive and producing fruit.

    Mexico is the world's top producer of avocados, with California coming in second.

    California boasts 7,000 avocado groves. San Diego County produces 60% of California avocados. Florida is the second main producer in the United States.

    Aside from the United States and Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Brazil, and Colombia are the world's top producing countries.

    One tree can produce between 150 and 500 avocados per year.

    The average avocado contains 300 calories and 30 grams of healthy polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat.

    Avocados have the highest protein content of any fruit.

    Avocados contain more potassium than bananas.

    One avocado contains 81 mcg of lutein, an important nutrient for healthy eyes.

    Once an avocado is picked, it takes between 7 and 10 days to ripen. Keeping it in the refrigerator will slow down the ripening process, while putting it in a paper bag with a ripe apple will speed up the process.

    On average, 53.5 million pounds of guacamole are eaten every Super Bowl Sunday, enough to cover a football field more than 20 feet thick. icon_eek.gif
    LifeIsGood
    Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:11 am
    Forum Host
    Oh no! I hope you get that fixed soon! I wish I had a computer doctor that made house calls... icon_lol.gif

    I have the day off, so I plan to get some cleaning/organizing done today.

    Enjoy your day! wave.gif

    P.S. Great facts!
    Annacia
    Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:12 am
    Forum Host
    LifeIsGood wrote:
    Oh no! I hope you get that fixed soon! I wish I had a computer doctor that made house calls... icon_lol.gif

    I have the day off, so I plan to get some cleaning/organizing done today.

    Enjoy your day! wave.gif


    This guy is one in a million!

    Have a good day hon, see you later wave.gif
    Annacia
    Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:14 am
    Forum Host


    Ok this is the last avocado promo.............I think...........
    Acadia*
    Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:36 am
    Food.com Groupie
    LifeIsGood wrote:
    Good morning everyone. Just catching up on all the good cooking here. Yum @ avocado!

    Happy belated birthday to both Elmotoo and Acadia! icon_biggrin.gif


    Thank you muchly! icon_biggrin.gif
    Annacia
    Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:39 am
    Forum Host
    Two more tags for me:

    Tajine Spices #298682 by Habibi (na/me)
    Mushroom and Lavender Rice Pilaf (Vegan) #488776 by cookgirl (vaggie)
    Annacia
    Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:40 am
    Forum Host
    Acadia* wrote:
    LifeIsGood wrote:
    Good morning everyone. Just catching up on all the good cooking here. Yum @ avocado!

    Happy belated birthday to both Elmotoo and Acadia! icon_biggrin.gif


    Thank you muchly! icon_biggrin.gif


    Hi Cadie icon_biggrin.gif
    Acadia*
    Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:41 am
    Food.com Groupie
    LifeIsGood wrote:
    UmmBinat wrote:
    Annacia wrote:
    pammyowl wrote:
    Annacia wrote:
    Studentchef wrote:
    Annacia wrote:
    Studentchef wrote:
    Annacia wrote:
    Studentchef wrote:
    I have made and reviewed Chicken & Broccoli Cannelloni by Um Safia!


    P.S. Could you give me a hint where the other vegetables are so I could find them! I'm too lazy to go look for them, myself. icon_twisted.gif


    The review hasn't posted yet so I can't log it yet. I'm curious, did you just skip the chicken or sub in something else to replace the lost volume?

    Well, I could tell you where they are (we keep a log of where we put them so we forget) but if I did Loula and Bethie would do something evil...like taking my coffee away for the rest of the month. I'm sorry hon, but I just can't risk that. Can you imagine me with no coffee? icon_eek.gif

    As to the hint, they will be found in this thread icon_wink.gif


    No, I didn't sub anything. Was I supposed to?


    Did you tag this somewhere else hon? I don't have it listed on pg 1 and all tags in this game must be meatless. Veggie and NA/ME forum's both.

    I did however add a smilie to Qishr - Yemeni Ginger Coffee #288851 by Um Safia icon_wink.gif


    I see what went wrong! I wrote in the wrong number! But, yes, the coffee was the only one I tagged from Umm Safia, and that was the one I was referring to.


    OK, no chicken and broccoli and we are all good.

    Nice coffee isn't it. icon_biggrin.gif

    Hows your morning going?


    It was a happy accident though, StudendChef. I have a delicious sounding recipe to try! icon_lol.gif


    Morning pammy wave.gif

    It does sound good icon_wink.gif

    I was veggie before I married DH and while I still have strong veggie leanings I can certainly enjoy chicken, fish or an occasional steak. Should I admit that in this thread? icon_lol.gif


    I think it's more polite not to talk about it here.


    I wondered about that when I was posting a few days ago, but decided that this is in the NA/ME forum and it was okay. Plus, you all encourage chat! icon_biggrin.gif icon_wink.gif


    I think, normally it would be okay, except this event is directed toward "vegetarians". When I play in the vegetarian swap game, since I am not a vegetarian, I make sure my photos only depict the veggie tagged rather than anything else on the plate that may be considered offensive. icon_wink.gif
    LifeIsGood
    Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:20 am
    Forum Host
    Oh gosh, I don't wish this to become a debate and certainly wouldn't want to offend anyone. However, even in the vegetarian forum I have found that people are very supportive of those of us who are not total vegetarians and are willing to discuss, etc...

    From page 1 on this thread : "Have no fear, there is no need to become strictly vegetarian for the month, the recipes that you choose for this event cannot contain any meat or meat products (including chicken or beef broth). Both cuisine's have sides, appetizers, desserts and beverages as well as main recipes that will qualify here." I have tagged/plan to tag here for my own vegetarian lunches and as sides for dinner when we do have some meat protein.

    That is just my two cents. I am willing to not tag/discuss here if it truly offends anyone. I'd never want that.
    pammyowl
    Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:40 am
    Food.com Groupie
    It is no skin off my nose either way icon_smile.gif I am like Anna, a used to be vegetarian, still like to cook that way, but if some are touchy, so be it. I will never utter the words :chicken, beef, fish or bacon again on this thread! icon_lol.gif
    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 96, 97, 98  Next Page >> E-mail me when someone replies to this
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites