Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Kitchen Gadgets & Appliances / The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
    Lost? Site Map

    The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3  Next Page >>
    Bonnie G #2
    Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:16 am
    Food.com Groupie
    You know I'd forgotten about those Eggies, I did buy them just before leaving the States for the same reason. We always get fresh eggs from neighbors that have chickens and they are a MAJOR pain to peel. Never did get around to using them though, but will have to give it a try when I return home. Do they even come close in shape and looks to ones in the shell???
    Demelza
    Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:11 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    They end up being flat on the bottom. The shape is fine for sliced eggs, or wedges. Kind of odd shaped deviled eggs tho. I think they would explode if the egg actually filled the entire eggie to try & get the egg shape. Anyhow, make sure you oil them really well or they will stick.
    Bonnie G #2
    Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:42 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Hmm, thanks for the hint - sounds like it'd be fine for salad eggs or something you didn't need to look pretty.
    **Tinkerbell**
    Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:16 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    katie in the UP wrote:
    **Tinkerbell** wrote:
    My mommy's in town, so I got to interview her for this question too! icon_smile.gif

    Mom's Good: Kitchenaid Stand Mixer
    Mom's Bad: The Microplane Herb Mill

    My Good: Kitchenaid Stand Mixer
    My Bad: The Progressive Fruit & Vegetable Chopper


    Is that chopper like the one on QVC? I'm seriously considering it for summer.


    If the Genius Salad Chopper is what you are looking at, I would say it's exactly what I have, except it's round. What I have is absolute garbage, and after this conversation with my mom, I dug out the Progressive and let her try it. She really didn't believe (for some reason) that it was as bad as I said it was.

    The first tomato she tried to chop sprayed tomato guts and juice all over the kitchen. She sliced the rest of the tomatoes into smaller pieces first and then was able to chop them with the Progressive. She was surprised at the amount of strength she had to use to do it though.
    She then tried onions. She sliced the onion in half and put it in the chopper. She had to stand on a chair to get the leverage to push down on the chopper hard enough to chop the onion. Eventually she found the only way to do it without just flattening out and squishing the onion into pulp, was to only slice one layer of onion at a time.
    She refused to even try chopping carrots.

    DH came home from work, pointed at the chopper that was clean and washed by the sink, and said, "You got out that old piece of &%$@?"
    Before I could answer mom said, "Yeah, and it's hovering just above its new home." (the trash.) icon_lol.gif
    The only good part of the gadget is the little comb that you use to clean out the checkerboard pusher area. I use it to clean out the checkerboard impression rolling pin I use for lefse. icon_smile.gif

    What we figure is that the area that pushes the fruit or veggie through the slicer is simply too far back on the unit to get any leverage. The area you are supposed to push down on is all the way at the end, but the veggies are centered in the gadget. Oh yeah, and washing is a pain, cause even though it's dishwasher safe, you have to do it by hand because the blades do not get clean without careful scrubbing. The dishwasher cannot get all the food out, so then it just bakes it on in the drying cycle. icon_confused.gif

    I told another chef once that if she really wanted it she could send me her addy and I'd mail it to her. I didn't even know her. I'd definitely send it to you if you want it. I would PAY (the shipping) to get rid of it. icon_eek.gif


    **Tinkerbell**
    Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:20 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Demelza wrote:
    They end up being flat on the bottom. The shape is fine for sliced eggs, or wedges. Kind of odd shaped deviled eggs tho. I think they would explode if the egg actually filled the entire eggie to try & get the egg shape. Anyhow, make sure you oil them really well or they will stick.


    Is it vain of me that I didn't buy the eggies just because the tv-mercial showed them being flat on one end? icon_lol.gif
    I usually only make hard cooked eggs for deviled eggs, and I couldn't handle them not being egg shaped.
    Demelza
    Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:30 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Sigh, I only bought it because I have such a problem with peeling eggs, that mine don't end up looking pretty anyhow, so I figured a flat end would not look any worse than the chunks taken out of the egg. I used it once, didnt tighten the rings enough, & didn't oil it heavily enough, messy pot to clean & all these silly eggies to try to wash icon_rolleyes.gif Plus the yolk wasn't centered icon_exclaim.gif
    No, you are not vain at all to want egg shaped deviled eggs Tink icon_smile.gif
    **Tinkerbell**
    Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:40 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Demelza wrote:
    Sigh, I only bought it because I have such a problem with peeling eggs, that mine don't end up looking pretty anyhow, so I figured a flat end would not look any worse than the chunks taken out of the egg. I used it once, didnt tighten the rings enough, & didn't oil it heavily enough, messy pot to clean & all these silly eggies to try to wash icon_rolleyes.gif Plus the yolk wasn't centered icon_exclaim.gif
    No, you are not vain at all to want egg shaped deviled eggs Tink icon_smile.gif


    I get it. Same reason I thought I needed a mandolin; didn't like uneven, wiggly, sliced veggies. If I take the time to drag out that monster gadget I just end up with more things to wash. icon_confused.gif
    Bonnie G #2
    Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:15 am
    Food.com Groupie
    I had never seen the commercial for the eggies, just saw them at the store in the "As Seen On TV" section and thought great as with fresh eggs they are so hard to peel. Haven't tried them even, and something tells me I'm not going to like them at all. icon_cry.gif
    HarrietPrice
    Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:35 am
    Newbie "Fry Cook" Poster
    Hi all!

    I am a product design student studying in my final year at Loughborough University. I am currently working on a project for the design of a new and innovative baking product and wanted your help! Seeing all your replies to this post has made me think you may have some ideas that could help with my design.

    So far research has lead me to the re design of the rolling pin and I wondered if anyone has any suggestions for how I could improve this product and make it better to use?

    I have considered incorporating a flour storage and sifting unit within the rolling pin so that before pastry is rolled flour can be sprinkled onto the worktop easily, removing the need to get the bag of flour out of the cupboard! This will also make it easier to dust an extra flour over the pastry if it is needed whilst rolling.

    I would love any thoughts on this idea or any other insights or problems you may have when baking.

    Thanks very much!
    FloridaMelon
    Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:58 am
    Experienced "Head Chef" Poster
    My favorite alternates between my electric pressure cooker and my Vitamix.

    If you cook your eggs in the pressure cooker (6 minutes low pressure) the peels jump off in 2 neat peices. YES!!!

    The worst? Right now I have to say the Swivel Stor. It is too tall for my cabinet so it's in the pantry and it is an unstable piece of junk. I swear it. Sure, I should have measured my cabinet shelves before I bought it, but it seemed like a great idea.Soon, it will be gone, Recycling day is Thursday.
    **Tinkerbell**
    Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:00 am
    Food.com Groupie
    FloridaMelon wrote:
    My favorite alternates between my electric pressure cooker and my Vitamix.

    If you cook your eggs in the pressure cooker (6 minutes low pressure) the peels jump off in 2 neat peices. YES!!!

    The worst? Right now I have to say the Swivel Stor. It is too tall for my cabinet so it's in the pantry and it is an unstable piece of junk. I swear it. Sure, I should have measured my cabinet shelves before I bought it, but it seemed like a great idea.Soon, it will be gone, Recycling day is Thursday.


    Oh wow, FM. I'm sorry the Swivel Stor turned out to be junk. icon_sad.gif
    I just looked it up right now and watched the infomercial. What I didn't like is that they were showing the gadget only in the center of the shelf. I would want it on either side, but I deduced that it needed all the space on either side to pull out and rotate. I read the reviews on Amazon and one reviewer confirmed that suspicion. What a bummer. It's a good idea, but the plastic looks like that flimsy stuff I've been suckered into buying before, to hold D batteries. What a joke that was! icon_rolleyes.gif
    Anyway, I don't think it would have mattered even if it did fit in your cabinet. icon_smile.gif
    *Tink
    Alisa Lea
    Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:02 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    The least useful kitchen appliance I currently own is the George Forman grill. DS uses it for grilled cheese but that's about it. The bread machine was another appliance I bought and rarely used. I finally got rid of it.

    My coffee maker gets used the most, at least twice a day. I just have the basic Mr Coffee, nothing fancy. I also love my slow cookers. I have a 4 qt round and a 6 qt oval.

    My DH's favorite appliance is the belgian waffle maker I got for Christmas. I had to make waffles 3 times the first week and every Sunday morning since. icon_lol.gif
    Dee514
    Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:16 pm
    Forum Host
    HarrietPrice wrote:
    Hi all!

    I am a product design student studying in my final year at Loughborough University. I am currently working on a project for the design of a new and innovative baking product and wanted your help! Seeing all your replies to this post has made me think you may have some ideas that could help with my design.

    So far research has lead me to the re design of the rolling pin and I wondered if anyone has any suggestions for how I could improve this product and make it better to use?

    I have considered incorporating a flour storage and sifting unit within the rolling pin so that before pastry is rolled flour can be sprinkled onto the worktop easily, removing the need to get the bag of flour out of the cupboard! This will also make it easier to dust an extra flour over the pastry if it is needed whilst rolling.

    I would love any thoughts on this idea or any other insights or problems you may have when baking.

    Thanks very much!

    Hi Harriet,
    Only speaking for myself here - That isn't something I would use or buy......
    First off, the flour is out anyway because I had to make the dough to begin with, so that is a "non issue".
    Second, I want to be able to control the amount of extra flour I use, whether it is sprinkling it on the surface/counter or on the dough itself. I don't want the flour coming from my rolling pin, especially if I don't want extra flour on the dough while rolling.
    The addition of extra flour when working with dough (bread, pastry, or pasta) can be tricky....it is never the same amount of extra flour for the same recipe.....it depends a lot on the type of flour being used (hard wheat, soft wheat, whole grains - there are probably close to 100 different kinds of flour that I am aware of) and how finely/coarsely they are milled. It also depends a lot on humidity, as some flours absorb more moisture than others. icon_confused.gif Nope, I could be wrong, but I for one wouldn't buy it.

    Now, if you could make a rolling pin that will roll out a perfectly even thickness of dough (of course the thickness would have to be adjustable), that is something I would buy.
    Yes, I know you can buy those calibrated rings to put on the ends of your rolling pin, but then you are limited to working with small pieces of dough. If you are working with large pieces of dough (ravioli making, pan sized lasagne sheets, or strudel making), the silly rings end up marking/cutting the dough. For the rings to work for large pieces of dough, one would probably need a 3 foot long rolling pin (impractical for most home kitchens).I know the French/European rolling pins come that long, but I would have no where to store one.

    For 40+ years I have used an old, rock maple, red wood handle rolling pin that my M-I-L gave me when I married her son. It had been given to her by her mother when she married.

    I also own a marble one for laminated dough or dough that needs to be kept very cold, I rarely use it and still prefer my "all purpose" wood one. icon_smile.gif
    **Tinkerbell**
    Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:44 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Alisa Lea wrote:
    The least useful kitchen appliance I currently own is the George Forman grill. DS uses it for grilled cheese but that's about it. The bread machine was another appliance I bought and rarely used. I finally got rid of it.

    My coffee maker gets used the most, at least twice a day. I just have the basic Mr Coffee, nothing fancy. I also love my slow cookers. I have a 4 qt round and a 6 qt oval.

    My DH's favorite appliance is the belgian waffle maker I got for Christmas. I had to make waffles 3 times the first week and every Sunday morning since. icon_lol.gif


    I suppose I should have said coffee maker too... but it's more like our life-line than an appliance. icon_lol.gif
    Demelza
    Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:21 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    [quote="**Tinkerbell** I suppose I should have said coffee maker too... but it's more like our life-line than an appliance. icon_lol.gif[/quote]

    A plaque I saw in the store recently said
    "Instant Human, Just Add Coffee!"
    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3  Next Page >> E-mail me when someone replies to this
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites