Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Community Cafe / This stuff really works!
    Lost? Site Map

    This stuff really works!

    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2
    Olive*
    Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:43 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Dib's wrote:
    MaMere wrote:


    Olive, I have seen on Pinterest, that some say they put the bar of soap in the micro, nuke it, and let it dry and then it completely crumbles, but I have not tried that.


    I think in one of the reviews here I saw "3 days" but it will crumble-that was the Fels stuff. If you put Ivory in your micro it will blow up to about 20 times it size. icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif Very cool if you need to clean it!

    ETA-I used 2 tablespoons of each in a bucket so I don't think for one blouse you will need that much AND I just did 2 t-shirts of my husbands, white with armpit stains. The stains are gone.



    Thanks! icon_smile.gif I have only used the Fels-Naptha. Do you find that another bar works better? I might try the microwave thing too but only with the Naptha! icon_lol.gif Although, it never hurts to clean out the microwave really good once in a while. icon_lol.gif I'm trying to shame hubby into grating the bar by telling him all the other ladies DH help them. He sits at his computer and then tells me he can get me 2 pounds already grated for around 25.00. icon_rolleyes.gif
    MaMere
    Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:49 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Olive* wrote:
    Dib's wrote:
    MaMere wrote:


    Olive, I have seen on Pinterest, that some say they put the bar of soap in the micro, nuke it, and let it dry and then it completely crumbles, but I have not tried that.


    I think in one of the reviews here I saw "3 days" but it will crumble-that was the Fels stuff. If you put Ivory in your micro it will blow up to about 20 times it size. icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif Very cool if you need to clean it!

    ETA-I used 2 tablespoons of each in a bucket so I don't think for one blouse you will need that much AND I just did 2 t-shirts of my husbands, white with armpit stains. The stains are gone.



    Thanks! icon_smile.gif I have only used the Fels-Naptha. Do you find that another bar works better? I might try the microwave thing too but only with the Naptha! icon_lol.gif Although, it never hurts to clean out the microwave really good once in a while. icon_lol.gif I'm trying to shame hubby into grating the bar by telling him all the other ladies DH help them. He sits at his computer and then tells me he can get me 2 pounds already grated for around 25.00. icon_rolleyes.gif


    I have used the Fels, and its good, but if you grate it make sure you dont stand over the bowl while doing it, its strong.
    I have also used (and am now using) Castille soap,easier to grate and there's a nice scent to it.
    You can also put a few drops of essential oils in your homemade detergent, if you like icon_smile.gif
    Olive*
    Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:59 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    MaMere wrote:
    Olive* wrote:
    Dib's wrote:
    MaMere wrote:


    Olive, I have seen on Pinterest, that some say they put the bar of soap in the micro, nuke it, and let it dry and then it completely crumbles, but I have not tried that.


    I think in one of the reviews here I saw "3 days" but it will crumble-that was the Fels stuff. If you put Ivory in your micro it will blow up to about 20 times it size. icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif Very cool if you need to clean it!

    ETA-I used 2 tablespoons of each in a bucket so I don't think for one blouse you will need that much AND I just did 2 t-shirts of my husbands, white with armpit stains. The stains are gone.



    Thanks! icon_smile.gif I have only used the Fels-Naptha. Do you find that another bar works better? I might try the microwave thing too but only with the Naptha! icon_lol.gif Although, it never hurts to clean out the microwave really good once in a while. icon_lol.gif I'm trying to shame hubby into grating the bar by telling him all the other ladies DH help them. He sits at his computer and then tells me he can get me 2 pounds already grated for around 25.00. icon_rolleyes.gif


    I have used the Fels, and its good, but if you grate it make sure you dont stand over the bowl while doing it, its strong.
    I have also used (and am now using) Castille soap,easier to grate and there's a nice scent to it.
    You can also put a few drops of essential oils in your homemade detergent, if you like icon_smile.gif


    Yeah, it is strong! Been there, done that before. icon_eek.gif icon_lol.gif This got me to thinking about the lye soap that my grandparents made when I was young. They used it for clothes washing, bathing, and hair washing.... everything!
    Dib's
    Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:05 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Olive* wrote:


    Yeah, it is strong! Been there, done that before. icon_eek.gif icon_lol.gif This got me to thinking about the lye soap that my grandparents made when I was young. They used it for clothes washing, bathing, and hair washing.... everything!


    And no Cooties either-something to be said for that icon_exclaim.gif
    Dee514
    Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:05 pm
    Forum Host
    Geez! I've been using the Ivory liquid/Clorox 2 powder mixture for the last 40 years icon_redface.gif ....never thought to see if it was posted.
    I first got the "recipe" from a "Hints from Heloise" newspaper column....and started using it to remove the stains from the baby clothes/diapers!.

    I have also used the Fels-Naptha or Octagon/Borax/Washing soda "detergent" all my life....its what my grandmother used to wash clothes with.

    I don't know if anyone else has difficulty finding "washing soda"....used to be able to buy it in the laundry section of any supermarket, now I can only get it at Target, and only certain Target stores at that. icon_sad.gif (A&H recently changed the look of the washing soda box, but they say the formula is the same)
    K9 Owned
    Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:08 pm
    Forum Host
    I have been buying the knock off 'Ivory Soap' bars. They break up fairly easily, it's cheap, I like the smell and nothing has irritated my skin. I think I get about 8 bars to a package. It seems to clean as well as the Fels Naptha did and the Sunlight laundry soap I bought once.
    Deely
    Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:12 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    I'd really like to try this, but the Fels Naptha scares me. I have very, very sensitive skin. I can't use Ivory soap either. Any advice on what else I could use instead and still get the same stellar results? My daily soap is Cetaphil, btw.
    JoyfulCook
    Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:43 pm
    Forum Host
    Dib's wrote:
    JoyfulCook wrote:
    Drats I can't get the exact ingredients here icon_sad.gif I really need something like this!


    What are you missing Joy?


    Ivory liquid/Clorox 2 powder mixture - Have not seen Ivory soap here in Australia - used to love it when we lived in Ca. no subs I suppose, I night go on the web and see if I can find something

    icon_sad.gif
    JoyfulCook
    Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:52 pm
    Forum Host
    Just found this on the web as I think I have rust stain on some of my great aunts tablecloths
    "Lemon juice mixed with common household salt creates Oxalic Acid the traditional, but poisonous proprietary remover for rust stains."
    I am going to try this and let you know if it works.

    Just to remind everyone, dont wash your antique treasures in a washing machine or use a tumble dryer - everything is to be done by hand.
    anne in apex
    Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:00 am
    Food.com Groupie
    I'm bumping this back up because I tried it and .. well ..phooey. I've looked and looked for the Clorox 2 powder, and all I could find was 3 lb boxes. Since I don't normally use it, I didn't want to invest in a huge box. Well yesterday I found a small box of the yellow label (citrus) at Dollar General. Hooray!

    So I tried it first on a t-shirt with perspiration stains. One long sleeve shirt, I wasn't sure of the measures so I used 2T of each. Soaked overnight. And ..nothing. Now, it hasn't been laundered, I just rinsed it out and it's still wet. But I can clearly see that the stains are still there, and don't appear any better.

    Did I do it wrong?? icon_confused.gif
    Dib's
    Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:47 am
    Food.com Groupie
    anne in apex wrote:
    I'm bumping this back up because I tried it and .. well ..phooey. I've looked and looked for the Clorox 2 powder, and all I could find was 3 lb boxes. Since I don't normally use it, I didn't want to invest in a huge box. Well yesterday I found a small box of the yellow label (citrus) at Dollar General. Hooray!

    So I tried it first on a t-shirt with perspiration stains. One long sleeve shirt, I wasn't sure of the measures so I used 2T of each. Soaked overnight. And ..nothing. Now, it hasn't been laundered, I just rinsed it out and it's still wet. But I can clearly see that the stains are still there, and don't appear any better.

    Did I do it wrong?? icon_confused.gif


    I have no idea. Works great for me-so far! How much water did you soak it in?
    Iron Bloomers
    Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:04 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Dib's wrote:
    anne in apex wrote:
    I'm bumping this back up because I tried it and .. well ..phooey. I've looked and looked for the Clorox 2 powder, and all I could find was 3 lb boxes. Since I don't normally use it, I didn't want to invest in a huge box. Well yesterday I found a small box of the yellow label (citrus) at Dollar General. Hooray!

    So I tried it first on a t-shirt with perspiration stains. One long sleeve shirt, I wasn't sure of the measures so I used 2T of each. Soaked overnight. And ..nothing. Now, it hasn't been laundered, I just rinsed it out and it's still wet. But I can clearly see that the stains are still there, and don't appear any better.

    Did I do it wrong?? icon_confused.gif


    I have no idea. Works great for me-so far! How much water did you soak it in?


    Anne, I tried this after all Di's boasting, I had an old linen towel that I use for raising bread dough, it had oil/grease stains on it...I soaked it over night in a bucket of hot water using 1/4c each of the ingredients...it worked & I was unable to find Clorox2 but did find & use Purex2 successfully.
    anne in apex
    Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:11 am
    Food.com Groupie
    I used .. hmm.. enough water to cover it completely. In a square plastic wash bucket, maybe 4' deep. Maybe I didn't use enough? I'll put it in again with more. I also didn't use hot water, the directions said lukewarm. Obviously the t-shirt won't suffer from hot, so maybe that'll help.

    I'll put it in again and let 'er rip.

    ETA: Put it back in, it's more like 2-3" of water. Not a whole lot.
    Iron Bloomers
    Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:28 am
    Food.com Groupie
    anne in apex wrote:
    I used .. hmm.. enough water to cover it completely. In a square plastic wash bucket, maybe 4' deep. Maybe I didn't use enough? I'll put it in again with more. I also didn't use hot water, the directions said lukewarm. Obviously the t-shirt won't suffer from hot, so maybe that'll help.

    I'll put it in again and let 'er rip.

    ETA: Put it back in, it's more like 2-3" of water. Not a whole lot.


    fill the bucket @ half way & try the 1/4c each...worth the try IMHO
    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2 Stop sending e-mails when someone replies
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites