Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Desserts / Rum Balls with Liquid Centers?
    Lost? Site Map

    Rum Balls with Liquid Centers?

    DangerBun
    Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:01 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    I have had some delicious rum balls over the years -- at Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, at Christmas celebrations, etc. They were distinct because they were liquid rum in the center. I can't seem to find a recipe.

    Any help is appreciated!
    BigFatMomma
    Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:05 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    You could check with the Desserts forum...I wonder if they would know more.

    I don't know if it is a fondant or not, but this page was interesting--explaining how to get fillings into a chocolate/fondant.
    http://www.baking911.com/candy/fondant.htm

    Okay, for some reason, rum doesn't exist in the search, but there are recipes for rum balls on here...go figure..... They are under the heading of Christmas/Candy recipes....Here's the link. I don't know if any are liquid center, though.
    http://www.recipezaar.com/r/259/174

    HTH
    txzuckerbaeckerin
    Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:11 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    BigfatMomma wrote:
    You could check with the Desserts forum...I wonder if they would know more.

    I don't know if it is a fondant or not, but this page was interesting--explaining how to get fillings into a chocolate/fondant.
    http://www.baking911.com/candy/fondant.htm

    Okay, for some reason, rum doesn't exist in the search, but there are recipes for rum balls on here...go figure..... They are under the heading of Christmas/Candy recipes....Here's the link. I don't know if any are liquid center, though.
    http://www.recipezaar.com/r/259/174

    HTH

    rum is a 3 letter word and therefore exempt from the search engine.... icon_rolleyes.gif
    txzuckerbaeckerin
    Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:16 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    DangerBun wrote:
    I have had some delicious rum balls over the years -- at Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, at Christmas celebrations, etc. They were distinct because they were liquid rum in the center. I can't seem to find a recipe.

    Any help is appreciated!


    Can you pleasze tell us: was the rum inside concentrated liquid, the "real deal", so to speak and was it surrounded by a firm capsule, or was it in a crusty capsule? Was it real rum, or was it liquidy...fluid with rum or rum flavor? Also, were the truffles soft on the outside or were they in a firm shape? Sorry to ask all those questions, but it will make the answer easier; I have been making truffles for about 20 some years and those are the first things that came to my mind!
    DangerBun
    Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:38 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    txzuckerbaeckerin wrote:
    Can you pleasze tell us: was the rum inside concentrated liquid, the "real deal", so to speak and was it surrounded by a firm capsule, or was it in a crusty capsule? Was it real rum, or was it liquidy...fluid with rum or rum flavor? Also, were the truffles soft on the outside or were they in a firm shape? Sorry to ask all those questions, but it will make the answer easier; I have been making truffles for about 20 some years and those are the first things that came to my mind!


    Great questions! They were chocolate coated, firm & crisp. The filling seemed to be actual rum -- it was very thin and not sweet. I've also had these with bourbon.

    I am so curious as to how to get the liquid rum inside -- I don't believe it was like a fondant that liquified.

    Thanks!
    DangerBun
    Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:46 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    txzuckerbaeckerin
    Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:37 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    DangerBun wrote:
    txzuckerbaeckerin wrote:
    Can you pleasze tell us: was the rum inside concentrated liquid, the "real deal", so to speak and was it surrounded by a firm capsule, or was it in a crusty capsule? Was it real rum, or was it liquidy...fluid with rum or rum flavor? Also, were the truffles soft on the outside or were they in a firm shape? Sorry to ask all those questions, but it will make the answer easier; I have been making truffles for about 20 some years and those are the first things that came to my mind!


    Great questions! They were chocolate coated, firm & crisp. The filling seemed to be actual rum -- it was very thin and not sweet. I've also had these with bourbon.

    I am so curious as to how to get the liquid rum inside -- I don't believe it was like a fondant that liquified.

    Thanks!

    Ok, great answers!! There are round chocolate capsules available from professional suppliers. Those are dark, semi sweet, milk and white chocolat. They are round spheres with a small opening. The filling, in this case rum, will be filled in (not all the way) and the small hole will be filled with semi-firm tempered chocolate of the matching taste.Tempered chocolate will insure a good bind, a shiny gloss and also a higher melting point, so it will only melt at body temperature or higher The surface of the seal will be smoothed off and the capsule will be dopped in tempered chocolate again. Using tempered chocolate throughout the whole procedure will also insure, that the capsile will stay stable. The capsules are available via web or catalogue order. It is not advisable to use candy melts, as they a) melt at a different temperature than the capsules and b) are of inferior quality. It will also lessen the taste experience and feel. HTH and let me know, if you want further info.. icon_biggrin.gif TZB
    DangerBun
    Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:00 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    txzuckerbaeckerin wrote:

    Ok, great answers!! There are round chocolate capsules available from professional suppliers. Those are dark, semi sweet, milk and white chocolat. They are round spheres with a small opening. The filling, in this case rum, will be filled in (not all the way) and the small hole will be filled with semi-firm tempered chocolate of the matching taste.Tempered chocolate will insure a good bind, a shiny gloss and also a higher melting point, so it will only melt at body temperature or higher The surface of the seal will be smoothed off and the capsule will be dopped in tempered chocolate again. Using tempered chocolate throughout the whole procedure will also insure, that the capsile will stay stable. The capsules are available via web or catalogue order. It is not advisable to use candy melts, as they a) melt at a different temperature than the capsules and b) are of inferior quality. It will also lessen the taste experience and feel. HTH and let me know, if you want further info.. icon_biggrin.gif TZB


    This is EXCELLENT information! I had no idea such a thing existed! I am imagining all of the wonderful treats I could create with such a foil.

    Thanks so much for the info! Off to find a source.
    txzuckerbaeckerin
    Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:39 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    DangerBun wrote:
    txzuckerbaeckerin wrote:

    Ok, great answers!! There are round chocolate capsules available from professional suppliers. Those are dark, semi sweet, milk and white chocolat. They are round spheres with a small opening. The filling, in this case rum, will be filled in (not all the way) and the small hole will be filled with semi-firm tempered chocolate of the matching taste.Tempered chocolate will insure a good bind, a shiny gloss and also a higher melting point, so it will only melt at body temperature or higher The surface of the seal will be smoothed off and the capsule will be dopped in tempered chocolate again. Using tempered chocolate throughout the whole procedure will also insure, that the capsile will stay stable. The capsules are available via web or catalogue order. It is not advisable to use candy melts, as they a) melt at a different temperature than the capsules and b) are of inferior quality. It will also lessen the taste experience and feel. HTH and let me know, if you want further info.. icon_biggrin.gif TZB


    This is EXCELLENT information! I had no idea such a thing existed! I am imagining all of the wonderful treats I could create with such a foil.

    Thanks so much for the info! Off to find a source.


    The pleasure is completely on my side and good luck with your newly found obsession!! icon_lol.gif icon_cool.gif
    drcooker
    Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:08 pm
    Newbie "Fry Cook" Poster
    Im looking for this recipe too. have you had any luck?
    E-mail me when someone replies to this
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites