Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Critter Cafe / I'm gonna call him Tuna... UPDATE:
    Lost? Site Map

    I'm gonna call him Tuna... UPDATE:

    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Page >>
    K9 Owned
    Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:25 pm
    Forum Host
    Just a thought....
    the shelters a full of cats and kittens and since you are already pumped why not take a browse through a shelter?
    I'm betting you would find the new love of your life and be saving a kitten that might otherwise not experience a home such as you can provide. You could get a male and call him Tuna as it is such a cool name.

    Just something to ponder. icon_wink.gif
    Connie Lea
    Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:42 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    K9 Owned wrote:
    Just a thought....
    the shelters a full of cats and kittens and since you are already pumped why not take a browse through a shelter?
    I'm betting you would find the new love of your life and be saving a kitten that might otherwise not experience a home such as you can provide. You could get a male and call him Tuna as it is such a cool name.

    Just something to ponder. icon_wink.gif


    I was just thinking the same thing. You could save a cat who wouldn't otherwise get a great home. I like the name too and no reason why you couldn't name a girl cat Tuna.
    Pot Scrubber
    Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:57 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    I really don't need a new pet. Tuna just showed up out of the blue and I thought he needed a home.

    After Demon and Farrah are gone... I just want one low maintenance pet to deal with.

    My grand plan has always been to adopt an old kitty who needs a life break from a shelter after my dogs have passed to the Rainbow Bridge. Old cats are almost certain to have a death sentence in a shelter.

    Or maybe a Pit Bull. They get such a hard rap and 99% of them never get adopted... just euthanized from ignorance and prejudice. I dunno. I'll reconsider my situation when the time comes.

    I would love to just have a quiet lap kitty but I'll most definitely consider a Pit Bull.


    Last edited by Pot Scrubber on Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total
    Saralaya
    Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:15 pm
    Forum Host
    Pot Scrubber wrote:
    I really don't need a new pet. Tuna just showed up out of the blue and I thought he needed a home.

    After Demon and Farrah are gone... I just want one low maintenance pet to deal with.

    My grand plan has always been to adopt an old kitty who needs a life break from a shelter after my dogs have passed to the Rainbow Bridge. Old cats are almost certain to have a death sentence in a shelter.

    Or maybe a Pit Bull. They get such a hard rap and 99% of them never get adopted... just euthanized from ignorance and prejudice. I dunno. I'll consider my situation when the time comes.

    I would love to just have a quiet lap kitty but I'll most definitely consider a Pit Bull.


    I do wish that Tuna's people would keep him inside...... ah well..... next time you see him, do me a favor and make sure it's a kitty safe collar....one that has an elastic insert so if it gets caught on something he can get out of it safely....grouphug.gif Potsie... you have a heart of gold.
    K9 Owned
    Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:20 pm
    Forum Host
    You have a good heart.

    Yeah - my first thought was to look at this as an opportunity but you are right. Multiple pets are multiple bills and 3 are not as easy as two no matter what anyone (including me) says. We would for example not have 3 dogs again as we have a preference for large breeds and that equals large costs as well as less time to devote to the individuals.

    Emotions aside - you are better off being Tuna's 'uncle'.

    I'm also starting to think in terms of aging. I don't know how many more young dogs I have in me. Will I be able to manage a large active dog when I'm 70+ - I really don't know and I'd would absolutely HATE the thought that we could die and our beloved pets end up in a shelter. My plan is to start 'fostering' senior dogs as I get older. The purpose is twofold. The dogs would have all the love I/we could give then for whatever remains of their lives and by 'fostering' the rescue groups or shelters would cover the vet bills which could get tougher once we were on a fixed and limited income. I wouldn't be too concerned about anyone adopting the dog out from under me as the older guys seem to be largely unwanted. That's the plan anyway but life has a way of intervening so who knows. icon_wink.gif
    Pot Scrubber
    Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:55 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    K9 Owned wrote:
    .

    I'm also starting to think in terms of aging. I don't know how many more young dogs I have in me. Will I be able to manage a large active dog when I'm 70+ - I really don't know and I'd would absolutely HATE the thought that we could die and our beloved pets end up in a shelter.

    You understand my plight. I think I love you.

    Yep. I worry that if I adopt a puppy or kitten I might not outlive them and then what happens.? It is a 12-15 year commitment to raise a kitten/puppy.

    I think it is in my best interest to adopt an older dog or cat.
    Connie Lea
    Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:14 am
    Food.com Groupie
    We too have been concerned about what will happen to our babies if they should outlive us. We've also seen how hard it was for my mother to give up her dog when she had to go into assisted living. I don't want to have to do that, so when these guys are gone we had decided not to get another dog. You have a good idea K9 in fostering an older dog or cat, as I'm sure our income will not keep up with inflation and eventually vet bills will be too much for us. You're smart Potsie in not letting your heart overrule your head. Unfortunately, we have a problem with that, hence - four dogs, although my brother is taking care of my mother's dog while we are in Oklahoma for the winter, so only have three. We took them to the dog park yesterday - they had a ball. They met a few buddies from last year.
    jneen
    Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:40 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    My cat, Gypsy, used to split her time between us and my part time neighbor. My neighbor lives in another state and has a cabin next door. Gypsy used to hang out over there when they were there because the Mr. used to give her live fish from his pond. She would eat every bit of it - alive icon_eek.gif

    I understand how you feel about not getting any more high maintenance animals. I currently have 4 dogs in the house, 2 outside cats, and a big dog in an outside pen. We've already decided there will be no more after this crew goes to heaven. My husband's health is declining and I don't want any more responsibilities. I am blessed to have the darlings I have but there will be no more at Crippled Creek Ranch.

    For another thing, I can't afford the vet bills!
    Pot Scrubber
    Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:11 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Well... it had been 5 days since I saw Tuna and was becoming concerned. My concern was unnecessary.

    I heard a long and sad screeching noise on my patio in the middle of the night and wondered what the hell? I bolted out of bed to investigate. It was Tuna. I guessed he wanted attention or food.

    So... I rubbed his belly and gave him a can of Chicken of the Sea to shut him up. Then he was content and fell asleep on my kitchen table purring. I left the patio door open so he could leave if he wanted to and went back to bed.

    That was two days ago. And he is still here. He leaves for a few hours every day and does God knows what but screeches every night to come back indoors at 3-4-5 am or whenever the fancy suits him.

    I have rearranged my entire life and schedule to accommodate His Royal Highness. I have become a cat person. God save the Queen.
    icon_mad.gif
    Saralaya
    Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:23 am
    Forum Host
    Pot Scrubber wrote:
    Well... it had been 5 days since I saw Tuna and was becoming concerned. My concern was unnecessary.

    I heard a long and sad screeching noise on my patio in the middle of the night and wondered what the hell? I bolted out of bed to investigate. It was Tuna. I guessed he wanted attention or food.

    So... I rubbed his belly and gave him a can of Chicken of the Sea to shut him up. Then he was content and fell asleep on my kitchen table purring. I left the patio door open so he could leave if he wanted to and went back to bed.

    That was two days ago. And he is still here. He leaves for a few hours every day and does God knows what but screeches every night to come back indoors at 3-4-5 am or whenever the fancy suits him.

    I have rearranged my entire life and schedule to accommodate His Royal Highness. I have become a cat person. God save the Queen.
    icon_mad.gif


    Well welcome to the club Potsie!! If he was out in the middle of the night and is out during the day, I'd say the people he was living with are not taking very good care of him and he knows you will. Cats choose who to be with if left to their own devices like this. I hope you will get some cat food if he's going to dine with you regularly..... icon_rolleyes.gif If he goes in and out you will not have to deal with a litter box since he will do his business outside. You might want to get a bag of litter and an aluminum roasting pan (they make good temporary litter pans) or a disposable litter pan in case it's really stormy one day/night and you decide to keep him indoors for safety. Just be aware that he may not know what it is if he is used to going outdoors. All you have to do (if you keep him inside one day and have the litter box set up) is pick him up, set him in the litter and gently scratch his front paws in it. That's it, he will get it.
    Connie Lea
    Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:50 am
    Food.com Groupie
    jneen wrote:
    My cat, Gypsy, used to split her time between us and my part time neighbor. My neighbor lives in another state and has a cabin next door. Gypsy used to hang out over there when they were there because the Mr. used to give her live fish from his pond. She would eat every bit of it - alive icon_eek.gif

    I understand how you feel about not getting any more high maintenance animals. I currently have 4 dogs in the house, 2 outside cats, and a big dog in an outside pen. We've already decided there will be no more after this crew goes to heaven. My husband's health is declining and I don't want any more responsibilities. I am blessed to have the darlings I have but there will be no more at Crippled Creek Ranch.

    For another thing, I can't afford the vet bills!


    Jneen I'm so sorry your DH's health is declining. I can understand why you don't want anymore responsibilities. My DH has a ton of problems - the last he was diagnosed with diabetes. He can't exercise because of his bad back. I'm sure all the responsibility of the animals is left to you as it is me. I love them all dearly and can't imagine life without them, but do not want to add to the mix. (Of course I've been known to let my heart overrule my head at times, so I won't say we'll never have another pet.)
    Connie Lea
    Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:54 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Pot Scrubber wrote:
    Well... it had been 5 days since I saw Tuna and was becoming concerned. My concern was unnecessary.

    I heard a long and sad screeching noise on my patio in the middle of the night and wondered what the hell? I bolted out of bed to investigate. It was Tuna. I guessed he wanted attention or food.

    So... I rubbed his belly and gave him a can of Chicken of the Sea to shut him up. Then he was content and fell asleep on my kitchen table purring. I left the patio door open so he could leave if he wanted to and went back to bed.

    That was two days ago. And he is still here. He leaves for a few hours every day and does God knows what but screeches every night to come back indoors at 3-4-5 am or whenever the fancy suits him.

    I have rearranged my entire life and schedule to accommodate His Royal Highness. I have become a cat person. God save the Queen.
    icon_mad.gif


    Potsie you are so funny. Tuna knows where he has it good. You may have just become a slave to a cat - you definitely don't own them. How do the dogs do around him?
    K9 Owned
    Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:33 pm
    Forum Host
    Last I heard Tuna kicked Farrah's butt! icon_lol.gif

    Yep sweet thing - you have been enslaved. rotfl.gif
    Pot Scrubber
    Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:14 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    You guys are so sweet. I guess Tuna is part of our family... but honestly I don't know what to do.

    The dogs get along with him for the most part. Demon actually likes him and wants to play chase. Tuna is still a young enough kitty that he is playful and they get along fine. Farrah is not as pleased with the situation and doesn't like him but Tuna doesn't put up with any crap from her so they just avoid one another. I walked into living room yesterday and Tuna's hair was all puffed up and his back was arched. He and Farrah were staring each down daring the other to move. I don't know what that was about. I just clapped my hands really loud and they both scrambled away. I'm sure Farrah started it, though! They'll work it out eventually.

    The one thing that is bothering me is a litter box. I don't have anywhere to put one. Farrah has a disgusting habit of eating cat poop. We have stray cats that live at my apt complex and she actively looks for cat crap to chew. I have to watch her every second on our walks or she will find some and start munching. Pretty disgusting, huh? Boo hiss Farrah! Yuck. Anyway...

    I have a large 1200 sq foot apt but nowhere to put a litter box indoors without Farrah having access to a buffet anytime she wants a snack. I have two small patios where I could put one and not deal with the issue but how do I let him have access to the litter box but keep Farrah away from it?

    I know my dogs bowel habits very well and they poop like clockwork on our walks and never mess in the house. Are cats as predictable? Can I maybe put him on the enclosed patio for an hour until he does his business and then let him back in? Or do cats just go whenever they feel like it?

    So far he is an indoor/outdoor kitty and does his potty duties outside. Our winter weather in Texas is sometimes very cold in Jan/Feb but we rarely have much snow and ice that would be prohibitive of him going outside at night if he wants to. He hasn't hit kitty cat puberty yet but the day I see testicles he will go to the vet the next day to be neutered so as not to add to the already problematic cat population around here. I dunno what to do... I never planned on having another pet until both of my dogs were gone and then I planned on getting a senior aged animal from the animal shelter. Tuna is still a baby and will be around for a long time but he is welcomed to live with me forever. He's a very sweet BIG boy. I think he is a Maine Coon and probably already weighs 15 lbs and I wouldn't be surprised if he weighs 40 when he is grown. Both of my dogs combined don't weigh 40lbs. icon_lol.gif
    Pot Scrubber
    Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:20 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    jneen wrote:
    My cat, Gypsy, used to split her time between us and my part time neighbor. My neighbor lives in another state and has a cabin next door. Gypsy used to hang out over there when they were there because the Mr. used to give her live fish from his pond. She would eat every bit of it - alive icon_eek.gif

    I understand how you feel about not getting any more high maintenance animals. I currently have 4 dogs in the house, 2 outside cats, and a big dog in an outside pen. We've already decided there will be no more after this crew goes to heaven. My husband's health is declining and I don't want any more responsibilities. I am blessed to have the darlings I have but there will be no more at Crippled Creek Ranch.

    For another thing, I can't afford the vet bills!

    Sorry DH is in declining health and you are right you don't need any additional responsibilities.

    Sending well wishes to Crippled Creek Ranch! I thought that was funny. icon_lol.gif
    God bless you, dear.
    grouphug.gif
    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Page >> E-mail me when someone replies to this
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites