Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Canning, Preserving and Dehydrating / What have you canned/dehydrated/froze this year?
    Lost? Site Map

    What have you canned/dehydrated/froze this year?

    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Page >>
    Saeriu
    Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:18 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Oh--I almost forgot:

    freezer 10 pints of blueberries

    canned fake maple syrup and tomato paste

    I think that's it. icon_smile.gif icon_eek.gif
    Amberngriffinco
    Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:11 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    how do you make tomato sauce?

    my tom's are slow so I pick them ripe and freeze till I have a 'healthy' amount to can.

    thx
    HotPepperRosemaryJelly
    Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:37 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Amberngriffinco wrote:
    how do you make tomato sauce?

    my tom's are slow so I pick them ripe and freeze till I have a 'healthy' amount to can.

    thx


    I am using Acadia's recipe for tomato sauce. I think it is here somewhere.
    I can copy it and post if for you.
    Today I canned 9 quarts of tomato soup! All down in my pantry in the basement! It's gluten and lactose free!!! Really tasty too!!! Yum! icon_biggrin.gif
    I am still picking tomatoes! This was the year for bumper crop tomatoes!!!
    HotPepperRosemaryJelly
    Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:42 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Acadia's Marinara Sauce

    Ingredients:
    Servings:
    8 88-10 Servings Size
    Update.
    .Units: US | Metric
    .2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 cup onion (sliced or diced)
    2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
    1/2 yellow bell pepper (minced)
    1 tablespoon basil
    1 tablespoon oregano
    1 tablespoon parsley
    1 tablespoon italian seasoning mix
    1/3 cup sherry wine (sweet)
    56 ounces crushed tomatoes
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
    1 bay leaf
    Directions:
    1
    In a 3 quart Dutch oven add the olive oil and onions. Saute on medium low until tender about 4 minutes stirring frequently.
    2
    Add garlic and saute for an additional 1 minute stirring frequently (Do not let garlic burn).
    3
    Slice up bell peppers, add to mixture and saute an additional 4 minutes stirring frequently.
    4
    Add sherry.
    5
    Add basil, oregano, parsley, Italian seasoning and mix with other ingredients.
    6
    Remove mixture and place in food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
    7
    Place pureed mixture back into dutch oven.
    8
    Add crushed tomatoes and bay leaf. Add salt (optional).
    9
    Bring to a low boil stirring frequently, then reduce to simmer.
    10
    Cover and cook for 45 min on low/simmer, stirring every 5 minutes (I set my timer).
    11
    Remove bay leaf before serving.
    12
    Enjoy!


    Ratings & Reviews:
    By mama smurf
    Select OneContact This ChefChef's PageChef's RecipesChef's PhotosChef's ReviewsChef's CookbooksChef's MenusAdd to Favorites .
    on March 22, 2012

    55
    Wonderful! Made this in advance so when I came home all I had to do was heat this up and serve it with some meatballs (heated) that I had in the freezer and served them over pasta. A green salad was served along side. Definately will make this one again...so simple and delicious!


    0 people found this review Helpful.

    Was this review helpful to you? Yes | No
    .
    By Starrynews
    Select OneContact This ChefChef's PageChef's RecipesChef's PhotosChef's ReviewsChef's CookbooksChef's MenusAdd to Favorites .
    on February 13, 2011

    55
    Great sauce! The extra flavor and nutrition from the bell pepper is a nice touch. Thanks for sharing! Veg*n Swap 31


    0 people found this review Helpful.

    Was this review helpful to you? Yes | No
    .
    By Mindelicious
    Select OneContact This ChefChef's PageChef's RecipesChef's PhotosChef's ReviewsChef's CookbooksChef's MenusAdd to Favorites .
    on January 02, 2011

    55
    The DH really loved this one!! I'm not a huge fan of store bought sauce and this is a great reason why!! Very easy & big on flavor. DH isn't a huge tomato guy so the addition of the pepper was perfect and I just blended it all up after adding the tomatoes so there weren't any dreaded chunks for the DH. Will make this again!! Thanks Acadia!!



    Servings Per Recipe: 8
    Krislady
    Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:30 am
    Forum Host
    Amberngriffinco wrote:
    how do you make tomato sauce?

    my tom's are slow so I pick them ripe and freeze till I have a 'healthy' amount to can.

    thx


    If you're looking for just tomato sauce (not marinara), I used these directions and I was amazed by (1) how simple it was, (2) how much sauce I ended up with, and (3) how well it worked.

    I used the skins and cores from, I think, about 30 quarts of tomatoes, and I ended up with 5 and a half pints of sauce.
    HotPepperRosemaryJelly
    Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:52 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    That is a heck of a lot of work. I have a Norpro sauce maker food strainer.
    Easy as can be and well worth the money. It cost about $50 about 4 years ago.
    I don't know what they cost now. But you can do anything with it.
    I love it and it is one of my favorite kitchen tools!!!
    Highly recommend it!
    You can flavor your sauce the way you like it. No mess, no fuss. Easy clean up too.


    Last edited by HotPepperRosemaryJelly on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total
    HotPepperRosemaryJelly
    Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:57 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    All you do is quarter your tomatoes and run them through. The debris comes out one area and the puree comes out another. It makes doing bushels of tomatoes a lot easier!
    I use it for apples too! Made about 18 quarts of applesauce and 3 pints.
    Just quartered the apples and this lovely machine did the rest!
    You just add sugar if you want to the pots and some cinnamon and cook it til it boils fully about 10 minutes and then fill your hot sterilized jars and hot bath for 10 minutes after bringing the canner to a roiling boil.
    For the tomato sauce and marinara sauce I hot bath for 40 minutes.
    tasb
    Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:18 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Grape Jam, 3-1/4 half pints

    Me and the girls were on a Yum That Looks Good, last Saturday. Me and the kids went to the farmer's market without hubby.

    The grapes (mixture of green and purple), the purple looked like ones we bought a few weeks ago and the girls loved, but they weren't. They were seedy and slip skins, so I hummed and searched and made a half batch of Grape Jam with them. I didn't want to break out the canner to seal the 3 jars, so I am just going to freeze them. I tried doing the whole, dish cloth on the bottom of a stock pot twice and ended up with soap bubbles.

    HotPepperRosemaryJelly
    Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:23 am
    Food.com Groupie
    tasb wrote:
    Grape Jam, 3-1/4 half pints

    Me and the girls were on a Yum That Looks Good, last Saturday. Me and the kids went to the farmer's market without hubby.

    The grapes (mixture of green and purple), the purple looked like ones we bought a few weeks ago and the girls loved, but they weren't. They were seedy and slip skins, so I hummed and searched and made a half batch of Grape Jam with them. I didn't want to break out the canner to seal the 3 jars, so I am just going to freeze them. I tried doing the whole, dish cloth on the bottom of a stock pot twice and ended up with soap bubbles.



    What I do when I have a few jars is put a lid from an old pot in the botton of a pan and that works great! Easy and no soap bubbles! icon_biggrin.gif
    Amberngriffinco
    Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:26 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Thanks to all.

    I hav en't a few lbs now frm the garden before the freeze.

    Now, to get in the mood to do it!

    a
    Krislady
    Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:40 am
    Forum Host
    We did another batch (7 quarts) of stock this weekend - it was mostly chicken, but it turned out that there were a couple of pork shoulder bones in with the chicken bones. icon_confused.gif No matter - it wasn't enough to flavor it at all, and it probably added some body to the stock. Plus the bits of cooked pork are a welcome addition to our dog-and-cat treat collection - man those two go NUTS for the pork! icon_lol.gif

    Also canned 8 pints of kale and bean soup - my first time canning soup. I had a pint for lunch yesterday, and, well, I'm still here. icon_biggrin.gif

    (It was actually very good - the beans could have stood a little less cooking time before canning, and I'll double up on the kale next time. Other than that - I'd say it was a win!)
    HotPepperRosemaryJelly
    Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:37 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Krislady wrote:
    We did another batch (7 quarts) of stock this weekend - it was mostly chicken, but it turned out that there were a couple of pork shoulder bones in with the chicken bones. icon_confused.gif No matter - it wasn't enough to flavor it at all, and it probably added some body to the stock. Plus the bits of cooked pork are a welcome addition to our dog-and-cat treat collection - man those two go NUTS for the pork! icon_lol.gif

    Also canned 8 pints of kale and bean soup - my first time canning soup. I had a pint for lunch yesterday, and, well, I'm still here. icon_biggrin.gif

    (It was actually very good - the beans could have stood a little less cooking time before canning, and I'll double up on the kale next time. Other than that - I'd say it was a win!)


    I've never canned stock or soup. Always been a little leary of it not being safe....advice if you will share please!
    I freeze my stocks and soups. Feel safe doing it this way.
    icon_smile.gif
    HotPepperRosemaryJelly
    Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:40 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Canned more Roasted Tomato Soup this week. 8 more quarts. My tomatoes are ripening like crazy under the cut up brown paper bags!!! I am so psyched!!!! Such a brilliant idea!!! Thank you!!!!
    Think I am going to make more sauce. Not sure yet. They are looking good!!! icon_biggrin.gif
    Still have to get to the apples. Two more huge boxes....uffda...
    Making chili now. It is 24 degrees out there!!! icon_sad.gif Brrrr.....
    Amberngriffinco
    Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:44 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    HotPepperRosemaryJelly wrote:
    Krislady wrote:
    We did another batch (7 quarts) of stock this weekend - it was mostly chicken, but it turned out that there were a couple of pork shoulder bones in with the chicken bones. icon_confused.gif No matter - it wasn't enough to flavor it at all, and it probably added some body to the stock. Plus the bits of cooked pork are a welcome addition to our dog-and-cat treat collection - man those two go NUTS for the pork! icon_lol.gif

    Also canned 8 pints of kale and bean soup - my first time canning soup. I had a pint for lunch yesterday, and, well, I'm still here. icon_biggrin.gif

    (It was actually very good - the beans could have stood a little less cooking time before canning, and I'll double up on the kale next time. Other than that - I'd say it was a win!)


    I've never canned stock or soup. Always been a little leary of it not being safe....advice if you will share please!
    I freeze my stocks and soups. Feel safe doing it this way.
    icon_smile.gif





    I made chix stock last year - my first year pressure canning. Just make sure that your pressure remains constant and you can for the specific times shown.

    Amber
    Krislady
    Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:00 pm
    Forum Host
    Amberngriffinco wrote:
    HotPepperRosemaryJelly wrote:
    Krislady wrote:
    We did another batch (7 quarts) of stock this weekend - it was mostly chicken, but it turned out that there were a couple of pork shoulder bones in with the chicken bones. icon_confused.gif No matter - it wasn't enough to flavor it at all, and it probably added some body to the stock. Plus the bits of cooked pork are a welcome addition to our dog-and-cat treat collection - man those two go NUTS for the pork! icon_lol.gif

    Also canned 8 pints of kale and bean soup - my first time canning soup. I had a pint for lunch yesterday, and, well, I'm still here. icon_biggrin.gif

    (It was actually very good - the beans could have stood a little less cooking time before canning, and I'll double up on the kale next time. Other than that - I'd say it was a win!)


    I've never canned stock or soup. Always been a little leary of it not being safe....advice if you will share please!
    I freeze my stocks and soups. Feel safe doing it this way.
    icon_smile.gif





    I made chix stock last year - my first year pressure canning. Just make sure that your pressure remains constant and you can for the specific times shown.

    Amber


    It makes life SO much easier not to have to defrost stock! Plus, I save the freezer space!

    As I recall, chicken stock is canned at 10psi for 20 minutes for pints and 25 minutes for quarts.

    The kale and bean soup I did for 75 minutes for pints.
    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Page >> Stop sending e-mails when someone replies
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites