Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Menu Ideas & Help / Menu for Week of August 18 thru August 24, 2012
    Lost? Site Map

    Menu for Week of August 18 thru August 24, 2012

    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Page >>
    Meredith C-ville
    Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:03 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Hi,

    On the Kenyan curry, it is a great and easy recipe. I gave it 4 stars though because I usually try to reserve 5 stars for the ones that truly blow me away.

    And if reviews weren't already subjective enough, that kind of thing is also entirely dependent on the circumstances, like if you make a great recipe and your ingredients happen to be extra good (summer tomatoes or a particularly flavorful/juicy meat), or it's something you'd really been in the mood for, or you have a nice evening and eat outside.

    The salmon/dijon/walnut recipe is so easy and so good with toasty walnuts (toasty any kind of nut is just yummy). I've done it with olive oil rather than butter, and also with almonds rather than walnuts, and all variations turn out well. Under the broiler it cooks really fast; the most important thing is to not overcook it and remember the residual heat effect.

    --M
    Charmie777
    Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:21 pm
    Forum Host
    Meredith C-ville wrote:
    Hi,

    On the Kenyan curry, it is a great and easy recipe. I gave it 4 stars though because I usually try to reserve 5 stars for the ones that truly blow me away.

    And if reviews weren't already subjective enough, that kind of thing is also entirely dependent on the circumstances, like if you make a great recipe and your ingredients happen to be extra good (summer tomatoes or a particularly flavorful/juicy meat), or it's something you'd really been in the mood for, or you have a nice evening and eat outside.

    The salmon/dijon/walnut recipe is so easy and so good with toasty walnuts (toasty any kind of nut is just yummy). I've done it with olive oil rather than butter, and also with almonds rather than walnuts, and all variations turn out well. Under the broiler it cooks really fast; the most important thing is to not overcook it and remember the residual heat effect.

    --M
    Thanks Meredith!
    Chef Tweaker
    Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:27 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Hi everyone,
    It has been probably several years since I have posted here. And Yes, that means I have not made a menu in that long!

    The motivation this week is having an overabundance of produce that will go bad if I don't use it coupled with DH being out of town so I can make all the food he despises! (Curries for example). My two small daughters prob won't be impressed but they will limp by and I will have a freezer full of leftovers by the end of the week! icon_wink.gif

    Here is the plan as of now:

    Today: Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers
    sides: salad

    Sunday: lunch will be at church and hopefully swimming with a friend so will set up the crock pot for easy dinner.
    Crock Pot Chicken Vindaloo
    side: Aloo Gobi - Cauliflower and Potatoes

    Monday: oooh.. just remembered I'm at church for dinner (this is only a prob because I'm supposed to come prepared to teach and I haven't prepared yet. Oy Vey!)
    I guess I will make Black Bean Chili With Butternut Squash and Swiss Chard for lunch then.

    Tues: Moroccan Chicken Kebabs
    starch? (maybe make extra rice to prep for Wed)

    Wed: Chicken and Broccoli Thai Curry
    side: rice

    Thurs: At this point there might be tons of leftovers so will play the rest of the week by ear.
    dinner Lentil Stew a La Fez

    Friday: Vegetarian Lentil Taco 'meat Filling' Substitute (Crock Pot)

    Sat: hubby might be back so eyeing this recipe
    Slow-Cooked Korean Beef
    with mashed potatoes on the side.

    I've got to find a way to fit Brussel's sprouts in there since I got some from my bountiful basket today. Oh and also I'll be canning for several days during the week... keeping fingers crossed that I can accomplish it all!
    SarasotaCook
    Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:55 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Fantastic menu Chef T; really interesting with all your flavors.
    Delicious sounding.

    As for brussels ... I love to make a strata with them. Save as asparagus, eggs, bread, some onion, seasoning and bake. It freezes really well.

    I have also made a quiche with brussels.
    Charmie777
    Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:05 am
    Forum Host
    Chef Tweaker wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    It has been probably several years since I have posted here. And Yes, that means I have not made a menu in that long!

    The motivation this week is having an overabundance of produce that will go bad if I don't use it coupled with DH being out of town so I can make all the food he despises! (Curries for example). My two small daughters prob won't be impressed but they will limp by and I will have a freezer full of leftovers by the end of the week! icon_wink.gif

    Here is the plan as of now:

    Today: Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers
    sides: salad

    Sunday: lunch will be at church and hopefully swimming with a friend so will set up the crock pot for easy dinner.
    Crock Pot Chicken Vindaloo
    side: Aloo Gobi - Cauliflower and Potatoes

    Monday: oooh.. just remembered I'm at church for dinner (this is only a prob because I'm supposed to come prepared to teach and I haven't prepared yet. Oy Vey!)
    I guess I will make Black Bean Chili With Butternut Squash and Swiss Chard for lunch then.

    Tues: Moroccan Chicken Kebabs
    starch? (maybe make extra rice to prep for Wed)

    Wed: Chicken and Broccoli Thai Curry
    side: rice

    Thurs: At this point there might be tons of leftovers so will play the rest of the week by ear.
    dinner Lentil Stew a La Fez

    Friday: Vegetarian Lentil Taco 'meat Filling' Substitute (Crock Pot)

    Sat: hubby might be back so eyeing this recipe
    Slow-Cooked Korean Beef
    with mashed potatoes on the side.

    I've got to find a way to fit Brussel's sprouts in there since I got some from my bountiful basket today. Oh and also I'll be canning for several days during the week... keeping fingers crossed that I can accomplish it all!


    Well, welcome back Tweaker!!! wave.gif you've got great exotic recipes on your menu!! Yum! I'm looking at them all.
    mickeydownunder
    Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:09 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Charmie777 wrote:
    Hi Menu friends!!!! How is everyone? It has been soooooooo hot here. Over 100 for over 2 weeks now. This morning it was 90ยบ at 8am!! Sheesh! Don't like it at all!!!! I'm nervous to see our electric bill this month. icon_eek.gif

    Anywho...I'm still doing the tour and now we are in Britain and India, so recipes will reflect!

    Here's my menu. Share yours!!

    Saturday - going to Susan Feniger's restaurant, Street, with friends from SeriousEats.com...excited!!!

    Sunday - Bangers and Mash With Onion Gravy with vegies

    Monday - Easy Spaghetti and Meatballs using leftover meatballs in freezer, with salad

    Tuesday - Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala with rice and salad

    Wednesday - Tortellini with Balsamic Brown Butter Sauce, salad, bread

    Thursday - Easy Shepherd's Pie with salad

    Friday - Office Party!!


    gotta love slow cooked Chicken Tikka Masala!! YUM!

    and Tortellini in a Balsamin Brown Butter sauce too! YUM WHOO HOO!
    mickeydownunder
    Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:09 am
    Food.com Groupie
    ROASTED SNAGS with TOMATOES AND ONIONS

    http://threemanycooks.com/recipes/meaty-mains/roasted-sausages-with-tomatoes-and-onions/

    might even make it to the database icon_wink.gif icon_wink.gif



    if someone does decide to make this, would suggest more tomatoes, less heat over a period of time icon_smile.gif

    WHOO HOO!

    Posting in the photos area too! icon_smile.gif
    mickeydownunder
    Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:10 am
    Food.com Groupie
    SarasotaCook wrote:
    Done -
    My Ladies #1 and #2 are still on their cruise. They came back to port but are now in Scotland and Ireland for a few days before returning next week. So another week off
    Still cooking 45 lunches every day for lunch for our new client. Working well; but doesn't allow for much sleep.
    Quiet otherwise around here. Been hot like you C, not 100, but very high humidity daily.
    Would love a vacation in the mountains soon ... cool weather, and beautiful sunsets ... too much to ask?
    -------------------------------------------
    SAT ...
    Planned dinner with a friend; but cxl, so just me. Busy day, so plan to make breakfast, or have a frozen pizza I can 'doctor' up with a bunch of veggies.
    ----------
    SUN ...
    Soup Day/Bread Day: I still have both in the freezer
    Dinner: Steak (freezer stash) peppers and mushrooms tortilla wrap with cheese; onion rings
    ----------
    MON ...
    Lunch: Sesame soba noodle salad w/chicken; mixed orange salad
    A mix of a hot soy and citrus vinaigrette over soba noodles, with cucumber, eggplant, chicken and scallions. Tossed together and served over crispy iceberg lettuce. The orange salad is a mix of navel, tangelos, blood oranges, and ruby red grapefruit, with an orange blossom water and powdered sugar dressing
    Me: Salmon or tilapia with asparagus and a crab hollandaise; rice pilaf
    ----------
    TUES ...
    Lunch: First time buffet
    Small cucumber bites stuffed with shrimp salad; cherry tomatoes stuffed with an herb goat cheese, proscuitto, and scallion stuffing; A roasted vegetable platter served with a red pepper, hummus, and spicy green onion and olive dip. Also, a platter of fresh sliced cheeses, deli meats, fruit, bread, rolls, crackers, etc.
    Me: Attending a brunch - it is a working meeting. I am taking some of my smoked salmon I made last week with a dill sauce.
    So, since I have to work ... I guess leftovers it is. I have some soup, chicken, even mac and cheese in the freezer
    ----------
    WED ...
    Lunch: Poached grouper with a slice of a Bloody Mary Terrine over a bed of baby greens
    Poached grouper in a white wine, onion, peppercorns, lemon and dill broth; (whatever fish is on sale) served with a very light creamy cucumber sauce. And, a Bloody Mary Terrine (a mix of tomatoes, red peppers, and a home made Bloody Mary sauce mixed with gelatin to set), sliced over a bed of greens
    Me: Meeting a friend from work for a couple of beers, appies, and to go over work issues. So, I presume that will be dinner
    ----------
    THURS ...
    Lunch: Asian pork lettuce cups with a fresh vegetable salad
    Asian stir fried pork with, onions, shitaki mushrooms, and bean sprouts; tossed with a spicy sauce and served chilled in a lettuce cups with a side of a carrot, avocado, onion and zucchini salad with a rice wine vinaigrette
    Lady #3: Stuffed Mediterranean pork loin, sliced w/white wine tomato sauce; sauteed spinach; baby roasted potatoes; Dessert TBD
    Me: Corn and cheese quesadillas with green chilies (sour cream and salsa); salad with avocado, tomato and cucumber
    ----------
    FRI ...
    Lunch: Tuna sandwiches and fresh fruit salad
    Either curried or Mediterranean tuna croissants; with either a watermelon, cucumber, honeydew, and strawberry mint salad; or possibly a mango, cucumber, watermelon, and basil salad
    Me: g/f for dinner - Sweet and sour pork over scallion rice; fruit salad
    ---------------------------------------------
    Breakfast, cottage cheese this week
    Lunch ... probably none, or just a cup of soup
    And, don't forget to clean out that fridge, freezer, and pantry!


    You are my American ido TWINIE icon_smile.gif
    mickeydownunder
    Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:14 am
    Food.com Groupie
    While you all are in the HEAT, we are and have continuously been visited by Jack frost! lol

    COLD, rainy, dreary!





    http://www.soupchick.com/2012/06/recipe-for-red-lentil-rhubarb-soup.html

    posting in the photos forums too!

    WHOO HOO!
    ratherbeswimmin'
    Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:43 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Chef Tweaker wrote:
    Slow-Cooked Korean Beef


    Great menu Tweaker. Wish my family would let me go that international. icon_rolleyes.gif The Korean Beef looks fab and something they would go for.
    Welcome Back.
    Chef Tweaker
    Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:22 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    ratherbeswimmin' wrote:
    Chef Tweaker wrote:
    Slow-Cooked Korean Beef


    Great menu Tweaker. Wish my family would let me go that international. icon_rolleyes.gif The Korean Beef looks fab and something they would go for.
    Welcome Back.


    Thanks... I'm trying to initate the "littles" while they are small. Not sure if it will work! (But my mom exposed me to lots of international foods and I have enjoyed them much to my meat and potatoes husband's chagrin!) To be fair tho, my hubby has branched out since we got married. He would have liked the stuffed peppers since I add ground beef to them but didn't get a chance to make them while he was home.
    Shari2
    Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:35 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    I can't believe summer is almost gone. School starts Wednesday for my youngest. She will probably take snacks for lunch or buy(it's not cool to pack I guess in High School...lol)


    Saturday was fast food, too tired to cook

    Sunday: Oldest DD is making hamburgers and frozen french fires

    Monday: Off so I'll probably make Stuffed Pork Chops with mashed potatoes, veggie and salad

    Tuesday: Melt in Your Mouth Chicken Breast not sure on the sides yet

    Wednesday: John's Lasagna (I'll make it Tuesday before work), with garlic bread and salad

    Thursday: Steaks with baked potatoes, salad and veggie

    Friday: Fast food probably or pizza

    I'll probably make Brownie Chip Cookies with Candy Corn M & M's(they are just white chocolate M & M's.)
    Charmie777
    Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:32 pm
    Forum Host
    Shari2 wrote:
    I can't believe summer is almost gone. School starts Wednesday for my youngest. She will probably take snacks for lunch or buy(it's not cool to pack I guess in High School...lol)


    Saturday was fast food, too tired to cook

    Sunday: Oldest DD is making hamburgers and frozen french fires

    Monday: Off so I'll probably make Stuffed Pork Chops with mashed potatoes, veggie and salad

    Tuesday: Melt in Your Mouth Chicken Breast not sure on the sides yet

    Wednesday: John's Lasagna (I'll make it Tuesday before work), with garlic bread and salad

    Thursday: Steaks with baked potatoes, salad and veggie

    Friday: Fast food probably or pizza

    I'll probably make Brownie Chip Cookies with Candy Corn M & M's(they are just white chocolate M & M's.)

    Stuffed pork chops sound delicious!!!
    GaylaV
    Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:34 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Just popping in to say hello to my menu buddies. I see familiar names and many new names. It has been a long time but my goal is to get organized so hope to catch up with you all next week. I see some yummy recipes here as always.
    Take care. Gayla icon_smile.gif
    Charmie777
    Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:32 am
    Forum Host
    GaylaV wrote:
    Just popping in to say hello to my menu buddies. I see familiar names and many new names. It has been a long time but my goal is to get organized so hope to catch up with you all next week. I see some yummy recipes here as always.
    Take care. Gayla icon_smile.gif


    Yay Gayla!!! wave.gif it's like homecoming around here!
    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Page >> Stop sending e-mails when someone replies
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites