Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Diabetic Cooking / "I've saved all these recipes!" March Diabetic Tag
    Lost? Site Map

    "I've saved all these recipes!" March Diabetic Tag

    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next Page >>
    Mia in Germany
    Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:48 am
    Forum Host
    UmmBinat wrote:

    Hi again awalde,

    my sesame oil is from a health food shop. I believe it to be cold pressed and I don't find it too strong. I have tried toasted sesame oil which I felt was an acquired taste. I'm not sure what makes sesame stronger. For example I have bought sunflower oil (good quality/unrefined) from the health shop and then I see a lady use sunflower oil to cook regular foods. Mine that I have would sure give it a different taste!

    Yesterday I decided to again avoid all dairy the least of worry being yogurt. I think I will eat it sometimes. I love it and don't think it is so bad for me. I think #1 it is the lactose I need to avoid so as I understand it, yogurt has less than cheese and pasteurised milk for example.


    The difference in taste comes from refined and unrefined, as for the sunflower oil. Many people prefer refined sunflower oil before anything else because it is neutral in taste.
    It's not the healthiest oil, though, anyway, because of the many omega 6 fatty acids. We have those plenty anyway, so better use olive oil and plant oils higher in omega 3 than sunflower.

    As for the yoghurt, it depends on how long it has been fermented. The process of fermentation consumes the sugar, i.e. the lactose. So ripe cheese like swiss cheese has mostly no lactose at all while yoghurt still has quite some because store bought yoghurt is not fermented long enough to consume all of the lactose.
    On the other hand, in many people the problem is not the lactose but the milk protein. Specifically if you're gluten intolerant chances are high that you can't have the milk protein because it's relatively similar to the gluten protein.
    Many people can have fermented dairy such as yoghurt or cheese because the proteins are altered by the fermentation process so the body doesn't get bothered.
    I can have as much lactose as I want - no problem at all, but I totally cannot have the cow's milk protein, not even fermented or processed. But I do well with fermented goat's milk and sheep's milk, i.e. yoghurt or cheese.
    Andi of Longmeadow Farm
    Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:04 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Elmotoo wrote:
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyy stomacccchhhhhheee...dinner was soooo amazing. i'm not even sure where the recipes were tagged....i'll figure it out tomorrowwwww.... belch. g'nite xoxo


    awalde
    Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:20 am
    Food.com Groupie
    wave.gif Thanks for your informations!
    Compared to butter what do you think about margarine? In my case I use the German R a m a-margarine with very good gourmets results.
    What is Crisco?
    Whjat is shortening?

    I hope this is not a stupid question, but I would like to know more.

    Thanks a lot!
    Mia in Germany
    Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:38 am
    Forum Host
    Andi of Longmeadow Farm wrote:
    Elmotoo wrote:
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyy stomacccchhhhhheee...dinner was soooo amazing. i'm not even sure where the recipes were tagged....i'll figure it out tomorrowwwww.... belch. g'nite xoxo




    rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
    Mia in Germany
    Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:47 am
    Forum Host
    awalde wrote:
    wave.gif Thanks for your informations!
    Compared to butter what do you think about margarine? In my case I use the German R a m a-margarine with very good gourmets results.
    What is Crisco?
    Whjat is shortening?

    I hope this is not a stupid question, but I would like to know more.

    Thanks a lot!


    Butter is better than margarine, with few exceptions. I don't know about nowadays Rama, but it used to have hydrogenated and partly hydrogenated fat which is the most killing fat you can get because of the trans-fats it produces.
    There are modern margarines with non hydrogenated fats or with hydrogenated fats that don't build trans-fats.
    But still, butter or virgin coconut oil are better. I've made successful mixtures of butter and olive oil, too.
    Shortening means any fat that is solid at room temperature. The name shortening comes from pastry making. If you cut and knead solid fat into flour, the gluten molecules cannot cross-link, so the dough doesn't get elastic but crumbly which is preferable in pasrty.
    Crisco is the most famous shortening in the US which nowadays is nearly trans fat free.

    Hope that helps icon_smile.gif
    UmmBinat
    Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:26 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Oh Mia you are such an informant. I love what I just learned from you about yogurt.

    I have also tried tahini with grape syrup (Greek I think) and maple syrup (which I get headaches from, the processing additive I am sure, and I do mean the real stuff but not organic. I don't remember ever getting a headache from the syrup my mom used to make when my father and us kids used to tap our maple trees during childhood).

    I'd like to see your review on Pistachio & Raisin Halva icon_smile.gif
    UmmBinat
    Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:28 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    awalde wrote:
    wave.gif Thanks for your informations!
    Compared to butter what do you think about margarine? In my case I use the German R a m a-margarine with very good gourmets results.
    What is Crisco?
    Whjat is shortening?

    I hope this is not a stupid question, but I would like to know more.

    Thanks a lot!


    Mia said it! Butter or coconut oil. So much better for you and tastes better too!!
    awalde
    Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:42 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Mia in Germany wrote:
    awalde wrote:
    wave.gif Thanks for your informations!
    Compared to butter what do you think about margarine? In my case I use the German R a m a-margarine with very good gourmets results.
    What is Crisco?
    Whjat is shortening?

    I hope this is not a stupid question, but I would like to know more.

    Thanks a lot!


    Butter is better than margarine, with few exceptions. I don't know about nowadays Rama, but it used to have hydrogenated and partly hydrogenated fat which is the most killing fat you can get because of the trans-fats it produces.
    There are modern margarines with non hydrogenated fats or with hydrogenated fats that don't build trans-fats.
    But still, butter or virgin coconut oil are better. I've made successful mixtures of butter and olive oil, too.
    Shortening means any fat that is solid at room temperature. The name shortening comes from pastry making. If you cut and knead solid fat into flour, the gluten molecules cannot cross-link, so the dough doesn't get elastic but crumbly which is preferable in pasrty.
    Crisco is the most famous shortening in the US which nowadays is nearly trans fat free.

    Hope that helps icon_smile.gif


    I checked what is written about hydrogenated fats (gehärtete Fetten) and trans-fats.
    I found that in today’s Rama the trans-fats content is <1% and they write as well that Rama is free of hydrogenated fats.
    It seems that a lot the newest margarines changed their composition in order to avoid as most as possible trans-fats. I think this is a good new!

    You are right olive oil is delicious and healthy.
    For cooking vegetables I try to use as most as possible olive oil. In Asian recipes this is not always possible as the taste is intensive however in my modern Indian Cookbook (really from India!) they suggest to use it in many recipes.
    Do you know that Cretan (Greek) sweets contain olive oil and not butter or margarine?
    wave.gif
    UmmBinat
    Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:56 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    I knew that and I can't imagine it!
    Mia in Germany
    Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:01 pm
    Forum Host
    UmmBinat wrote:
    Oh Mia you are such an informant. I love what I just learned from you about yogurt.

    I have also tried tahini with grape syrup (Greek I think) and maple syrup (which I get headaches from, the processing additive I am sure, and I do mean the real stuff but not organic. I don't remember ever getting a headache from the syrup my mom used to make when my father and us kids used to tap our maple trees during childhood).

    I'd like to see your review on Pistachio & Raisin Halva icon_smile.gif


    Pleased to share information icon_smile.gif

    I have organic maple syrup and do very well with it, probably it doesn't contain anything suspect.
    So your parents had maple trees? How interesting! Must have been wonderful. As a child, I had a book "Understood Betsy" by Dorothy Canfield Fisher where she describes the process of cooking the raw maple juice. I loved that story so much and always wished to see how maple syrup was tapped and prepared icon_smile.gif

    The halva will be my next project for something sweet icon_razz.gif
    Mia in Germany
    Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:06 pm
    Forum Host
    awalde wrote:


    I checked what is written about hydrogenated fats (gehärtete Fetten) and trans-fats.
    I found that in today’s Rama the trans-fats content is <1% and they write as well that Rama is free of hydrogenated fats.
    It seems that a lot the newest margarines changed their composition in order to avoid as most as possible trans-fats. I think this is a good new!

    You are right olive oil is delicious and healthy.
    For cooking vegetables I try to use as most as possible olive oil. In Asian recipes this is not always possible as the taste is intensive however in my modern Indian Cookbook (really from India!) they suggest to use it in many recipes.
    Do you know that Cretan (Greek) sweets contain olive oil and not butter or margarine?
    wave.gif


    Good to hear about the altered formula for margarines. I have one called "Alsan" which is by far the best I've ever had. Besides that, I use clarified butter.

    I knew about olive oil in Greek sweets. Actually I use olive oil in cookies and sweet muffins myself. Maybe it's me, or I'm just accustomed to it, but I don't taste it.
    I came to try it because I tried ancient Greek and Roman (Latin) recipes for sweets, and so I found out it was really good.
    UmmBinat
    Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:20 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Maybe poor quality olive oil is stronger tasting.
    awalde
    Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:41 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Mia in Germany wrote:
    awalde wrote:


    I checked what is written about hydrogenated fats (gehärtete Fetten) and trans-fats.
    I found that in today’s Rama the trans-fats content is <1% and they write as well that Rama is free of hydrogenated fats.
    It seems that a lot the newest margarines changed their composition in order to avoid as most as possible trans-fats. I think this is a good new!

    You are right olive oil is delicious and healthy.
    For cooking vegetables I try to use as most as possible olive oil. In Asian recipes this is not always possible as the taste is intensive however in my modern Indian Cookbook (really from India!) they suggest to use it in many recipes.
    Do you know that Cretan (Greek) sweets contain olive oil and not butter or margarine?
    wave.gif


    Good to hear about the altered formula for margarines. I have one called "Alsan" which is by far the best I've ever had. Besides that, I use clarified butter.

    I knew about olive oil in Greek sweets. Actually I use olive oil in cookies and sweet muffins myself. Maybe it's me, or I'm just accustomed to it, but I don't taste it.
    I came to try it because I tried ancient Greek and Roman (Latin) recipes for sweets, and so I found out it was really good.


    WoW! I'm intersted to those arcaic recipes, could you z-mail me them?
    Jamilahs_Kitchen
    Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:56 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    UmmBinat wrote:
    awalde wrote:
    wave.gif Thanks for your informations!
    Compared to butter what do you think about margarine? In my case I use the German R a m a-margarine with very good gourmets results.
    What is Crisco?
    Whjat is shortening?

    I hope this is not a stupid question, but I would like to know more.

    Thanks a lot!


    Mia said it! Butter or coconut oil. So much better for you and tastes better too!!



    agreed! raw butter raw coconut oil and olive. I told several friends recently about coconut oil and they had skeptical things to say yet they eat tons of hydrogenated oils. I didn't get it /sigh.
    Andi of Longmeadow Farm
    Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:08 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Jamilah's Kitchen wrote:
    UmmBinat wrote:
    awalde wrote:
    wave.gif Thanks for your informations!
    Compared to butter what do you think about margarine? In my case I use the German R a m a-margarine with very good gourmets results.
    What is Crisco?
    Whjat is shortening?

    I hope this is not a stupid question, but I would like to know more.

    Thanks a lot!


    Mia said it! Butter or coconut oil. So much better for you and tastes better too!!



    agreed! raw butter raw coconut oil and olive. I told several friends recently about coconut oil and they had skeptical things to say yet they eat tons of hydrogenated oils. I didn't get it /sigh.


    Hi Jamilah's Kitchen wave.gif Boy, do I agree with you! I wish people would start taking chances on better, and good things for their bodies.
    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next Page >> Stop sending e-mails when someone replies
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites