Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / African Cooking / A NEW AFRICAN RECIPE TAG GAME
    Lost? Site Map

    A NEW AFRICAN RECIPE TAG GAME

    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next Page >>
    Mia in Germany
    Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:45 am
    Forum Host
    Stranger here speaking - what's the deal with this bilby??
    Mia in Germany
    Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:50 am
    Forum Host
    Leggy Peggy
    Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:09 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Mia in Germany wrote:
    Stranger here speaking - what's the deal with this bilby??


    Just a little Easter competition in the Aussie/NZ forum. Come play. icon_smile.gif
    http://www.food.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=372924
    mersaydees
    Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:37 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Have finally completed my two tags:

    South African Bobotie #368252 (although the front page has a typo because it comes up as #385552?) by Jezagerm







    Souped up Lentils #211542 by Leggy Peggy




    I followed the thread and have this to say about salads. There are salads and there are SALADS! I grew up with a small salad (lettuce, tomato, croutons) after dinner, which seemed normal to me in Ohio with Finnish-American parents. When I moved to California for college and stayed, a small salad (lettuce, tomato, croutons at a minimum) preceded 95% of dinners). It was weird if no salad was served. My turn to make salad was to make SALAD -- every salad veggie I could get my hands on in addition to the lettuce/tomato and in addition beans, eggs, bacon, etc.I didn't make SALAD very often as it is a lot of work! I could pass on the salad. icon_eek.gif icon_rolleyes.gif

    While this is my favorite tag game, I am taking a break from tagging because I found myself for the first time on the RESTRICTED list in another tag game. I'm taking this as a SIGN! I have one more late tag to do and then no more while I de-stress myself. I plan to follow you folks, though. So, happy cooking!!! icon_biggrin.gif
    Zurie
    Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:36 am
    Forum Host
    Mia in Germany wrote:
    Oh, and I completed Kalya E Khaas (Traditional South African Chicken Curry) #306841 yummy.gif


    Must say, when I saw this title when you tagged it, I wondered ... We have 11 languages spoken in South Africa (which includes Afrikaans and English) and those words mean nothing to me, and is not a South African language!

    When l looked at the recipe, I'd say it was more a recipe from, probably, a West African country, or even central Africa. Definitely not trad. S A. No matter, it sounds great! Just puzzles me. icon_wink.gif
    Mia in Germany
    Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:43 am
    Forum Host
    Zurie wrote:
    Mia in Germany wrote:
    Oh, and I completed Kalya E Khaas (Traditional South African Chicken Curry) #306841 yummy.gif


    Must say, when I saw this title when you tagged it, I wondered ... We have 11 languages spoken in South Africa (which includes Afrikaans and English) and those words mean nothing to me, and is not a South African language!

    When l looked at the recipe, I'd say it was more a recipe from, probably, a West African country, or even central Africa. Definitely not trad. S A. No matter, it sounds great! Just puzzles me. icon_wink.gif


    I wondered, too. I know the word kalya to be a Sanskrit word meaning healthy. Looks more like some kind of Indo-Iranian language to me than African.
    I consider this a healthy dish, and it was really very tasty icon_biggrin.gif icon_wink.gif
    Zurie
    Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:45 am
    Forum Host
    Quote:
    Mersaydees wrote: I followed the thread and have this to say about salads. There are salads and there are SALADS! I grew up with a small salad (lettuce, tomato, croutons) after dinner, which seemed normal to me in Ohio with Finnish-American parents. When I moved to California for college and stayed, a small salad (lettuce, tomato, croutons at a minimum) preceded 95% of dinners). It was weird if no salad was served. My turn to make salad was to make SALAD -- every salad veggie I could get my hands on in addition to the lettuce/tomato and in addition beans, eggs, bacon, etc.I didn't make SALAD very often as it is a lot of work! I could pass on the salad.

    While this is my favorite tag game, I am taking a break from tagging because I found myself for the first time on the RESTRICTED list in another tag game. I'm taking this as a SIGN! I have one more late tag to do and then no more while I de-stress myself. I plan to follow you folks, though. So, happy cooking!!!


    I am always amazed at the popularity of Tag games!! icon_lol.gif They take time and effort! I hesitate to commit to Tag games ... will soon find myself on the Restricted list!!! icon_cool.gif icon_lol.gif

    Salads: In Europe, especially France, the habit is to serve a salad after the main course. In Switzerland, (the German part at least) they serve the salad before the main course.

    I agree -- a "salad" can be so many things!! Recently we had masses of our own ripe tomatoes, so sweet and delicious that I made either only sliced tomato slices with a little onion, or the usual lettuce-and-tomato.

    But as soon as I have to buy toms. again, I add various lettuces and other raw veggies -- whatever will be suitable. DH eats his salad as a starter, and I like mine on a separate plate but with my food! wave.gif
    JoyfulCook
    Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:34 am
    Forum Host
    Wonderful Pics the recipes all look so great. all TAGS up to date to here.
    Leggy Peggy
    Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:06 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Thanks mersaydees for the great pic and review.
    Glad I slipped in under your de-stress wire. icon_smile.gif
    Take care and come back soon.
    Elmotoo
    Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:10 am
    Forum Host
    Zurie wrote:
    Quote:
    Mersaydees wrote: I followed the thread and have this to say about salads. There are salads and there are SALADS! I grew up with a small salad (lettuce, tomato, croutons) after dinner, which seemed normal to me in Ohio with Finnish-American parents. When I moved to California for college and stayed, a small salad (lettuce, tomato, croutons at a minimum) preceded 95% of dinners). It was weird if no salad was served. My turn to make salad was to make SALAD -- every salad veggie I could get my hands on in addition to the lettuce/tomato and in addition beans, eggs, bacon, etc.I didn't make SALAD very often as it is a lot of work! I could pass on the salad.

    While this is my favorite tag game, I am taking a break from tagging because I found myself for the first time on the RESTRICTED list in another tag game. I'm taking this as a SIGN! I have one more late tag to do and then no more while I de-stress myself. I plan to follow you folks, though. So, happy cooking!!!


    I am always amazed at the popularity of Tag games!! icon_lol.gif They take time and effort! I hesitate to commit to Tag games ... will soon find myself on the Restricted list!!! icon_cool.gif icon_lol.gif

    Salads: In Europe, especially France, the habit is to serve a salad after the main course. In Switzerland, (the German part at least) they serve the salad before the main course.

    I agree -- a "salad" can be so many things!! Recently we had masses of our own ripe tomatoes, so sweet and delicious that I made either only sliced tomato slices with a little onion, or the usual lettuce-and-tomato.

    But as soon as I have to buy toms. again, I add various lettuces and other raw veggies -- whatever will be suitable. DH eats his salad as a starter, and I like mine on a separate plate but with my food! wave.gif


    i always had the iceberg/tomato/cucumber maybe some green pepper or carrot added salad growing up. my MIL made a tomato/onion/olive oil/SALT salad that was to die for. It's still a favorite of mine & soo simple. I love the flavor the onions give the tomatoes & i DRINK the juice. NOW, I make & enjoy so many salads with so many different greens & other vegetables. Had red/yellow/orange peppers been invented in the 70's??
    JoyfulCook
    Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:37 am
    Forum Host
    Elmotoo wrote:
    Zurie wrote:
    Quote:
    Mersaydees wrote: I followed the thread and have this to say about salads. There are salads and there are SALADS! I grew up with a small salad (lettuce, tomato, croutons) after dinner, which seemed normal to me in Ohio with Finnish-American parents. When I moved to California for college and stayed, a small salad (lettuce, tomato, croutons at a minimum) preceded 95% of dinners). It was weird if no salad was served. My turn to make salad was to make SALAD -- every salad veggie I could get my hands on in addition to the lettuce/tomato and in addition beans, eggs, bacon, etc.I didn't make SALAD very often as it is a lot of work! I could pass on the salad.

    While this is my favorite tag game, I am taking a break from tagging because I found myself for the first time on the RESTRICTED list in another tag game. I'm taking this as a SIGN! I have one more late tag to do and then no more while I de-stress myself. I plan to follow you folks, though. So, happy cooking!!!


    I am always amazed at the popularity of Tag games!! icon_lol.gif They take time and effort! I hesitate to commit to Tag games ... will soon find myself on the Restricted list!!! icon_cool.gif icon_lol.gif

    Salads: In Europe, especially France, the habit is to serve a salad after the main course. In Switzerland, (the German part at least) they serve the salad before the main course.

    I agree -- a "salad" can be so many things!! Recently we had masses of our own ripe tomatoes, so sweet and delicious that I made either only sliced tomato slices with a little onion, or the usual lettuce-and-tomato.

    But as soon as I have to buy toms. again, I add various lettuces and other raw veggies -- whatever will be suitable. DH eats his salad as a starter, and I like mine on a separate plate but with my food! wave.gif


    i always had the iceberg/tomato/cucumber maybe some green pepper or carrot added salad growing up. my MIL made a tomato/onion/olive oil/SALT salad that was to die for. It's still a favorite of mine & soo simple. I love the flavor the onions give the tomatoes & i DRINK the juice. NOW, I make & enjoy so many salads with so many different greens & other vegetables. Had red/yellow/orange peppers been invented in the 70's??


    Sounds lovely, we love salads as well! I can only remember the red and green capsicums (bell peppers) years ago.... but then I can go back to the late 50's in the States!
    Zurie
    Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:35 am
    Forum Host
    Elmotoo wrote:
    Zurie wrote:
    Quote:
    Mersaydees wrote: I followed the thread and have this to say about salads. There are salads and there are SALADS! I grew up with a small salad (lettuce, tomato, croutons) after dinner, which seemed normal to me in Ohio with Finnish-American parents. When I moved to California for college and stayed, a small salad (lettuce, tomato, croutons at a minimum) preceded 95% of dinners). It was weird if no salad was served. My turn to make salad was to make SALAD -- every salad veggie I could get my hands on in addition to the lettuce/tomato and in addition beans, eggs, bacon, etc.I didn't make SALAD very often as it is a lot of work! I could pass on the salad.

    While this is my favorite tag game, I am taking a break from tagging because I found myself for the first time on the RESTRICTED list in another tag game. I'm taking this as a SIGN! I have one more late tag to do and then no more while I de-stress myself. I plan to follow you folks, though. So, happy cooking!!!


    I am always amazed at the popularity of Tag games!! icon_lol.gif They take time and effort! I hesitate to commit to Tag games ... will soon find myself on the Restricted list!!! icon_cool.gif icon_lol.gif

    Salads: In Europe, especially France, the habit is to serve a salad after the main course. In Switzerland, (the German part at least) they serve the salad before the main course.

    I agree -- a "salad" can be so many things!! Recently we had masses of our own ripe tomatoes, so sweet and delicious that I made either only sliced tomato slices with a little onion, or the usual lettuce-and-tomato.

    But as soon as I have to buy toms. again, I add various lettuces and other raw veggies -- whatever will be suitable. DH eats his salad as a starter, and I like mine on a separate plate but with my food! wave.gif


    i always had the iceberg/tomato/cucumber maybe some green pepper or carrot added salad growing up. my MIL made a tomato/onion/olive oil/SALT salad that was to die for. It's still a favorite of mine & soo simple. I love the flavor the onions give the tomatoes & i DRINK the juice. NOW, I make & enjoy so many salads with so many different greens & other vegetables. Had red/yellow/orange peppers been invented in the 70's??


    Wow, just like me! We had an enormous veg garden when I grew up, and my dad was wonderful with vegetables. Mom used to make the simplest of tomato salads when it was tomato season, much as you describe: sliced, lightly salted, some thin onion rings, and just a wisp of a dressing with grape vinegar and sugar, no oil!

    My sister and I used to fight over who gets to drink the juices at the bottom of the salad bowl after meals!!

    And I only "met" green peppers in the late 60's, before marriage, at the house of my in-laws. I detested the taste at first -- then slowly got used to it.

    But you're right -- in those days I never saw a red, yellow or orange pepper. Strange.
    Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
    Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:26 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle #381180 icon_arrow.gif Chocolate Pepper Cookies (South African) #272119 by philip dreger

    MERP'd March 31, 2012, for the Peppercorns~Black Pepper Recipe Tag in the Photo Forum ~ The recipe also fits this tag game!


    JoyfulCook
    Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:47 pm
    Forum Host
    Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle wrote:
    Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle #381180 icon_arrow.gif Chocolate Pepper Cookies (South African) #272119 by philip dreger

    MERP'd March 31, 2012, for the Peppercorns~Black Pepper Recipe Tag in the Photo Forum ~ The recipe also fits this tag game!




    That looks totally delicious. must go and check that out - thanks!
    Mia in Germany
    Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:30 am
    Forum Host
    I've made this days ago already but due to the sit's issues didn't manage to post my review icon_confused.gif
    Now, finally, the review is in for:

    South African Yellow Rice With Cinnamon and Raisins #292392 by Chef #725229
    Very yummy.gif

    Thanks for this fun game, I discovered so many new and interesting recipes. I'll be here for the next game icon_razz.gif

    pics für gb
    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next Page >> E-mail me when someone replies to this
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites