Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Kitchen Gadgets & Appliances / Vitamix ordered, what do you use yours for?
    Lost? Site Map

    Vitamix ordered, what do you use yours for?

    Go to page 1, 2  Next Page >>
    Zeldaz
    Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:49 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Love to get more info before it arrives. Getting grain jar so we can make flour.
    **Tinkerbell**
    Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:42 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Hi, Zeldaz!

    Congratulations on your new toy! icon_biggrin.gif
    I really wanted a new one a couple years ago, so I could get the dry attachment and grind my own grain as well, but at the time I couldn't afford the new prices. I found an old one for $200 on Ebay and bought that one instead.

    I wish I used it more, but I don't. I'm not a big smoothie fan, but in the summer I make a lot of fruit smoothies for DD.
    I use the VM to shred cooked chicken quick and easy. I've used it to make homemade pumpkin puree, and to make raw cheesecake, since the ingredients are basically all soaked nuts that need to be pulverized.

    Raw Vegan Lemon Cranberry Cheesecake


    I'd love to hear how the grain-grinding goes! icon_biggrin.gif
    *Tink
    katie in the UP
    Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:09 am
    Food.com Groupie
    I agree Tink, I wish I used mine MORE!!
    DH loves my lemonade...I toss frozen strawberries in it....great smoothie!!
    **Tinkerbell**
    Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:04 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Katie, you're a genius! icon_biggrin.gif
    I make fresh lemonade every summer and I make a lot of strawberry lemonade with it. I don't know why I hadn't thought of freezing the berries and then using the VitaMix. I'm totally gonna try that this summer!

    Now... if only summer would get here. Every day I pick DD and her BFF up from school they ask, "Is it warm enough to put the top down yet?!" I make a big deal of looking at the outside temp, and then sadly announce that, "No. It's still only 40 degrees out. You two would be popsicles by the time we got home!" icon_lol.gif
    katie in the UP
    Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:14 am
    Food.com Groupie
    I'm craving canning season already icon_sad.gif The average temp right now...is in the 20's and sometimes 30's....and the people up here....say it's such a mild winter icon_rolleyes.gif
    **Tinkerbell**
    Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:17 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Awwww, I feel for you. We're having a very mild winter too. The temp has been hovering up around 40°, with dry and sunny conditions, so I keep thinking summer is on the way. And then yesterday we woke up to snow. icon_confused.gif

    Crazy!
    hobbgal
    Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:19 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    At the end of the summer IF I have any tomatoes that I am not going to use in canning; I remove the stems and any bad parts and throw in the Vita Mix. Then I bottle it, hot water bath it and I have tomato puree to make tomato soup and other things.
    My VitaMix is about 30 years old. It has a metal blender which has a drain spout you open and close to release the contents. It is old but, it works!
    **Tinkerbell**
    Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:18 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    hobbgal wrote:
    At the end of the summer IF I have any tomatoes that I am not going to use in canning; I remove the stems and any bad parts and throw in the Vita Mix. Then I bottle it, hot water bath it and I have tomato puree to make tomato soup and other things.
    My VitaMix is about 30 years old. It has a metal blender which has a drain spout you open and close to release the contents. It is old but, it works!


    That sounds exactly like my VM, hobbgal! icon_smile.gif
    I'd love the new machines with the dry container for grinding flours, but I just have too many other gadgets on my wish list that I don't already have one of. icon_wink.gif
    lauralie41
    Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:36 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    I dont have a Vitamix but I do have the Montel Williams HealthMaster and although it only has 1100 watts of power I think both machines would do similar things?

    It has been in the box but I really need to take it out and make some smoothies, etc. and try some recipes posted here.
    lauralie41
    Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:38 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    **Tinkerbell** wrote:
    Hi, Zeldaz!

    Congratulations on your new toy! icon_biggrin.gif
    I really wanted a new one a couple years ago, so I could get the dry attachment and grind my own grain as well, but at the time I couldn't afford the new prices. I found an old one for $200 on Ebay and bought that one instead.

    I wish I used it more, but I don't. I'm not a big smoothie fan, but in the summer I make a lot of fruit smoothies for DD.
    I use the VM to shred cooked chicken quick and easy. I've used it to make homemade pumpkin puree, and to make raw cheesecake, since the ingredients are basically all soaked nuts that need to be pulverized.

    Raw Vegan Lemon Cranberry Cheesecake


    I'd love to hear how the grain-grinding goes! icon_biggrin.gif
    *Tink


    Tink you forgot to pass out the forks!! icon_lol.gif That cheesecake looks amazing!
    **Tinkerbell**
    Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:52 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Thanks, Lor! You are more than welcome to join us next time. I'll send out some invites! icon_biggrin.gif
    I would like to play around with the flavors on that recipe and start creating some new combinations.
    lauralie41
    Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:57 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    **Tinkerbell** wrote:
    Thanks, Lor! You are more than welcome to join us next time. I'll send out some invites! icon_biggrin.gif
    I would like to play around with the flavors on that recipe and start creating some new combinations.


    It's a deal! icon_lol.gif Raspberry and Lemon?

    Tink hon do you have a recipe for the cashew cream? Did you get the celtic sea salt and coconut oil at the health food store?
    **Tinkerbell**
    Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:58 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    lauralie41 wrote:
    **Tinkerbell** wrote:
    Thanks, Lor! You are more than welcome to join us next time. I'll send out some invites! icon_biggrin.gif
    I would like to play around with the flavors on that recipe and start creating some new combinations.


    It's a deal! icon_lol.gif Raspberry and Lemon?

    Tink hon do you have a recipe for the cashew cream? Did you get the celtic sea salt and coconut oil at the health food store?


    Ack! I just wrote a whole big thing and then the page wouldn't load and I lost it. icon_confused.gif

    Soo....in short:

    Flavors buzzing around in my head to play with:
    Lemon-raspberry
    Lemon-blueberry
    Fresh cherry-almond
    Pineapple-mango
    Mango-coconut

    Maybe scrap the raw/vegan aspect and just do dairy-free in a couple, so I can try some rum in the tropical flavor combinations. icon_wink.gif

    My celtic sea salt is old from Williams Sonoma, but they have a huge selection of spices and spice mixes from all over the world (in-store and online). Penzey's or other kitchen outlet stores probably have it also. Regular sea salt would be just fine though.

    The cashew cream is just a result of following the recipe and pre-soaking the cashews, then blending them with the rest of the filling ingredients. It emulsifies into a creamy consistency that mimics a traditional cream cheese filling, although not as thick.

    This was my first time using coconut oil and it's pretty cool. I found it easily at my local Fred Meyer (Kroger foods) in the health food aisle with the gluten free dry goods and the natural peanut butters.

    icon_biggrin.gif
    lauralie41
    Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:47 am
    Food.com Groupie
    yum, love all the flavor combos you are thinking of.

    yep, I agree more options going dairy-free.

    gotcha on the cashew cream. icon_smile.gif

    have a Penzy's catalog here somewhere to make online ordering easeir too. it's a good thing!! icon_lol.gif
    phantambantam
    Mon May 28, 2012 6:46 pm
    Regular "Line Cook" Poster
    I just bought a vitamix and I just love it. We have smoothies every morning and I throw in a carrot along with my fruit and yoghurt and you can not even tell is is there. Right now I am making recipes from the book and would would love to hear from others on what they are using theirs for
    Go to page 1, 2  Next Page >> Stop sending e-mails when someone replies
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites