Never miss Doughnut Day, Pretzel Day or Caramel Day again.
Say good riddance to Old Man Winter with these seasonal picks.
As a member, you can save and sort your favorite recipes -- for FREE!Join Food.com
Our most popular mains, sides and salads — here's what you want to eat for dinner right now.
Our home cooks have perfected top-notch remakes of your favorite restaurant dishes.
As a member, you can save and organize your favorite recipes and more.Join Food.com
Honey-baked ham, springy sides and special desserts — we have every recipe you need.
Did you know that there's a new food holiday 365 days a year? See what today is!
ALSO NEW: Get Our New Food Holidays App!
As a member, you can save your favorite recipes, plan menus and more.Join Food.com
JoyfulCook shares more about her travels, living abroad and her favorite international cuisine.
Learn the best way to cook bacon, shred chicken and reheat pizza.
We've rounded up some of our home cooks' most entertaining kitchen mishaps.
Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.
As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.
Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.
Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:31 pmForum Host
What is MasterCook?
MasterCook is recipe management software. It is currently owned and being developed by ValuSoft. For a history of their releases and their technical support, click on these links (all text in red are clickable links):
VALUSOFT TECHNICAL SUPPORT
•You can enter your own recipes, up to 12,000 recipes per cookbook, in an unlimited number of cookbooks.
•It can perform a nutritional analysis of recipes you enter yourself, as well as the recipes that come with the program.
•You can import scanned or internet recipes into the program; editing is required.
•You can add recipes or food items to a meal plan for a week or other period of time.
•MasterCook can print out a shopping list for recipes, menus, or meal plans.
•You can code the recipes with categories (unlimited categories per cookbook), cuisines, etc., and sort the recipes in a cookbook by various criteria (title, category, source, author, etc.)
•Fast search features can locate recipes by keyword, or recipes that include or exclude a specific ingredient or an ingredient family - like "beef".
As of today's date, the most current incarnation of MasterCook is 11.
• For Vista and Windows 7 Users:
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE INSTALLING
Prior to posting questions here, check out the program's built-in Help. To access it, press the F1 key at the top of your keyboard while using MasterCook. It will call up help articles relating to the part of the program you happen to be using at the time. Some of the pictures within the Help have clickable areas on them. Clicking over these areas of a picture, will produce more details. (This feature does not work on Mastercook 11.)
• For more detailed information, check out the PDF COPY* (electronic copy of the MasterCook 6 printed manual) on ValuSoft's web site.
* It is a .PDF file and requires Adobe's free Acrobat Reader program.
HOW TO INSTALL AND USE MASTERCOOK 9 OR LESS ON WINDOWS VISTA OR WINDOWS 7
NOTE: Since MasterCook 11 was designed for Vista/Windows 7, none of this is an issue with MasterCook 11. It can all be avoided if you purchase and use MasterCook 11 instead.
• Is your program misbehaving or acting differently than expected? Did the web import bar suddenly quit working?
MASTERCOOK 11 HELP FILE
• Other helpful information:
ADDING COOKBOOK FILES TO MASTERCOOK
IMPORTING RECIPES ~ VERSIONS 5 AND ABOVE
• When sharing cookbook files with others it's important to keep some things in mind. See them here:
MASTERCOOK RECIPE FORMATTING 101
• Follow this link to learn how one person was able to import their recipes from a Word Document file into MasterCook:
A RECIPE MAKEOVER
• One way to enter recipes into MasterCook is to use the Import Assistant. This works great for recipes that are not in a format that MasterCook recognizes.
THE IMPORT ASSISTANT
These directions apply to MasterCook Version 5 and above
CREATING INDEX CARDS
These directions apply to MasterCook Version 5 and above.
• "How do I add new ingredients to MasterCook (Version 5 or greater)? I have some personal ingredients that I use often, and I would like the nutritional analysis to reflect these in my recipes."
ADDING NEW INGREDIENTS
Be sure to keep this file backed up on a regular basis!!
EDITING A PRINT DESIGN TO PRINT SINGLE INDEX CARDS
These directions apply to MasterCook version 5 and above.
YAHOO MASTERCOOK DISCUSSION GROUP
Add this to My Favorite Topics
Alert us of inappropriate posts
Free Weekly Newsletter