Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    Lost? Site Map

    Menu help

    Chicagoland Chef du Jour
    Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:04 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    I will be making icon_arrow.gif Easy German Beef Roulade and German Rotkohl - Spiced Red Cabbage With Apples and Wine

    I will most likely serve with new potatoes w/ parsley butter.
    What else would you suggest?
    Rye bread?
    Salad of some sort?

    I want to keep it simple. Our guests will be dear friends in their late 70's & 80's

    Thanks a bunch!
    Dreamer in Ontario
    Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:24 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    A salad and/or rye bread sound just right. My Mom serves this kind of meal only with a salad but bread is always great ot have.
    If you're thinking of making your own bread these recipes are very good.

    Delicious German Rye Bread
    Quick Swedish Rye Bread
    Chicagoland Chef du Jour
    Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:06 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    EEEK, I have never made homemade bread, scares the dickens out of me.
    I also worry that it will be so easy, I will be making all the time....... eating it all the time and weighing 900# as a result! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

    Rye bread it is, but not made by my hands or bread machine!

    Thanks!
    Koechin (Chef)
    Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:53 am
    Forum Host
    In light of the fact, that these are elderly friends, I would forget about Rhy Bread, since most people have an aquired taste for it and it is a rather heavy bread. In Germany bread is never served with a meal like that. icon_smile.gif However if you feel you need something else, I would suggest a nice Brötchen aka.crusty roll. icon_biggrin.gif :wave"
    BecR
    Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:27 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Chicagoland Chef du Jour wrote:
    I will be making icon_arrow.gif Easy German Beef Roulade and German Rotkohl - Spiced Red Cabbage With Apples and Wine

    I will most likely serve with new potatoes w/ parsley butter.
    What else would you suggest?
    Rye bread?
    Salad of some sort?

    I want to keep it simple. Our guests will be dear friends in their late 70's & 80's

    Thanks a bunch!


    Hi Chicagoland Chef du Jour~

    Oh that sounds wonderful! I am sure your guests will appreciate and enjoy such a nice home-cooked meal!

    My German mother often made Mom's Traditional German Beef Rouladen and Old-Fashioned Country Green Beans With Bacon and Onion (and/or my German Rotkohl - Spiced Red Cabbage With Apples and Wine), and served the meal with simple "salzkartoffel" ie boiled new potatoes that are salted, buttered, & sprinkled with parsley; just as you plan to do.

    She would also serve a simple side of fresh baked crescent rolls (Pillsbury out of the tube can), along with plenty of good butter.

    And wine was served, most often a Rhine white wine such as Riesling. A nice alternative would be my Apfelschorle (German Apple Spritzer).

    This time of year, an apple strudel or Dutch crumb apple pie would be good for dessert, and a cup of coffee.

    I hope you and your guests enjoy!

    icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif Becky
    Chicagoland Chef du Jour
    Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:08 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Koechin (Chef) wrote:
    In light of the fact, that these are elderly friends, I would forget about Rhy Bread, since most people have an aquired taste for it and it is a rather heavy bread. In Germany bread is never served with a meal like that. icon_smile.gif However if you feel you need something else, I would suggest a nice Brötchen aka.crusty roll. icon_biggrin.gif :wave"


    Really, no kidding! good to know....... I love rye bread but if I can eliminate it, I just might to that.
    Chicagoland Chef du Jour
    Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:08 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Thanks again BecR!



    BecR wrote:
    Chicagoland Chef du Jour wrote:
    I will be making icon_arrow.gif Easy German Beef Roulade and German Rotkohl - Spiced Red Cabbage With Apples and Wine

    I will most likely serve with new potatoes w/ parsley butter.
    What else would you suggest?
    Rye bread?
    Salad of some sort?

    I want to keep it simple. Our guests will be dear friends in their late 70's & 80's

    Thanks a bunch!




    Hi Chicagoland Chef du Jour~

    Oh that sounds wonderful! I am sure your guests will appreciate and enjoy such a nice home-cooked meal!

    My German mother often made Mom's Traditional German Beef Rouladen and Old-Fashioned Country Green Beans With Bacon and Onion (and/or my German Rotkohl - Spiced Red Cabbage With Apples and Wine), and served the meal with simple "salzkartoffel" ie boiled new potatoes that are salted, buttered, & sprinkled with parsley; just as you plan to do.

    She would also serve a simple side of fresh baked crescent rolls (Pillsbury out of the tube can), along with plenty of good butter.

    And wine was served, most often a Rhine white wine such as Riesling. A nice alternative would be my Apfelschorle (German Apple Spritzer).

    This time of year, an apple strudel or Dutch crumb apple pie would be good for dessert, and a cup of coffee.

    I hope you and your guests enjoy!

    icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif Becky
    E-mail me when someone replies to this
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites