Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Diabetic Cooking / Diabetic Substitution for Karo Syrup
    Lost? Site Map

    Diabetic Substitution for Karo Syrup

    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3  Next Page >>
    PaulaG
    Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:29 pm
    Forum Host
    Jacqueline in KY wrote:
    PaulaG wrote:
    Thanks that is very helpful info. With the holiday's coming around a pecan pie might be in the offing.


    Paula did you make a Pecan pie using the Nectar?

    Jacqueline


    No, mikekey says he has done it.
    PaulaG
    Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:30 pm
    Forum Host
    mikekey wrote:
    PaulaG wrote:
    mikekey wrote:
    I have used Agave nectar as a sub for corn syrup with success. Ask your doctor if it is okay for your husband to use.


    Thank you mikekey for the info. I have used Agave Nectar but not for corn syrup. Can you give me some idea as to the ratio?


    I just follow the guideline on the bottle. 3/4 cup agave = 1 cup sugar, so I figure 1 cup of corn syrup would be 1/2 - 3/4 cup agave and I add extra liquid (whatever your recipe calls for) to make the cup.
    Mikekey
    Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:48 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Jacqueline in KY wrote:
    PaulaG wrote:
    Thanks that is very helpful info. With the holiday's coming around a pecan pie might be in the offing.


    Paula did you make a Pecan pie using the Nectar?

    Jacqueline


    wave.gif Jacqueline. I made Maple Pecan Pie With Splenda, subbing agave for the maple syrup. Turned out great.
    Rainbow - Chef 536866
    Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:09 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Corn syrup is supposed to be really bad for us,, especially high fructose corn syrup,, and Karo is a corn syrup. I miss pecan pie made with Karo so much!!! waaaahhhh!! But some things I just have to accept that I can't do any more.
    What does the agave taste like?
    PaulaG
    Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:26 am
    Forum Host
    While I have had Agave, I have not done so in pie. For me it doesn't have an aftertaste often associated with artificial sweeteners. One of these days I'm going to have to try that pie mikekey is talking about.
    singlewahm
    Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:33 pm
    Newbie "Fry Cook" Poster
    The other day I was searching for a substitute for Karo because I didn't have any and couldn't make it to the store. I found several sites recommending simple pancake syrup with only a reminder that the flavor would be affected according to what kind of pancake syrup used. I made the recipe, corn flake no-bake cookies, and they came out really good. Then today I decided to search for a healthy substitute and came across this post. So I'm wondering, if a diabetic pancake syrup would substitute in the same way and work as well.
    PaulaG
    Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:55 pm
    Forum Host
    singlewahm wrote:
    The other day I was searching for a substitute for Karo because I didn't have any and couldn't make it to the store. I found several sites recommending simple pancake syrup with only a reminder that the flavor would be affected according to what kind of pancake syrup used. I made the recipe, corn flake no-bake cookies, and they came out really good. Then today I decided to search for a healthy substitute and came across this post. So I'm wondering, if a diabetic pancake syrup would substitute in the same way and work as well.


    Diabetic syrup could probably be substituted in the same way. If you try please come back and let us know how it works.
    singlewahm
    Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:19 am
    Newbie "Fry Cook" Poster
    I guess I need to this recipe using actual Karo, and then with the diabetic so I can compare all three. While the recipe came out tasting great, it didn't clump together as well as it probably should. So I'm wondering if that's because I used pancake syrup instead of Karo, or because of the humidity or what.

    It was Corn Flake Cookies. Basically, corn flakes, syrup, sugar, and peanut butter. I'm thinking maybe if I throw in a cup of oatmeal, it won't affect the taste badly but help it bind together.
    PaulaG
    Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:26 am
    Forum Host
    If the texture isn't coming out right it is probably the syrup would be my guess. Since the pancake syrup is probably thinner you might want to trying using less than what the recipe calls for.
    singlewahm
    Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:10 am
    Newbie "Fry Cook" Poster
    Thanks! I'll try that. I was trying to think of things to add, didn't think to just leave some out. LOL
    PaulaG
    Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:29 am
    Forum Host
    You might also want to look at a reduction. Boiling off some of the water liquid. Let me know how it works.
    tonyafischer1
    Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:13 pm
    Newbie "Fry Cook" Poster
    I took my moms regular pecan pie recipe and used sugar free mrs. butterworths syrup it gave the pie kinda of a hint of maple oh it was so good and if you are watching your carbs you can make a pie crust out of almond flour found at your health food store or coconut flour works well too hope i helped.
    PaulaG
    Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:44 pm
    Forum Host
    tonyafischer1 wrote:
    I took my moms regular pecan pie recipe and used sugar free mrs. butterworths syrup it gave the pie kinda of a hint of maple oh it was so good and if you are watching your carbs you can make a pie crust out of almond flour found at your health food store or coconut flour works well too hope i helped.


    Thank you much for your input. It sounds very good.
    Andi of Longmeadow Farm
    Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:08 am
    Food.com Groupie
    PaulaG wrote:
    tonyafischer1 wrote:
    I took my moms regular pecan pie recipe and used sugar free mrs. butterworths syrup it gave the pie kinda of a hint of maple oh it was so good and if you are watching your carbs you can make a pie crust out of almond flour found at your health food store or coconut flour works well too hope i helped.


    Thank you much for your input. It sounds very good.


    tonya, your ideas are amazing! I love to hear all of these wonderful diabetic alternatives! Thanks!
    DJRockAndRoll
    Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:49 am
    Newbie "Fry Cook" Poster
    Hi,

    I'm thinking about making peanut butter candy (the recipe I use calls for peanut butter, powdered sugar, karo syrup,and powdered milk), but I was diagnosed with diabetes this year.

    Has anybody made this with diabetic-friendly substitutes before? I'd like to know how it tastes etc. if anybody's got experience with this.
    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3  Next Page >> E-mail me when someone replies to this
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites