Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / German and Benelux (Belgium / The Netherlands / Luxembourg) Cooking / German Recipes to Share - Zaar World Tour - 2005
    Lost? Site Map

    German Recipes to Share - Zaar World Tour - 2005

    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Page >>
    Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
    Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:14 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Ok, when the party - drinking part- starts we must all watch ourselves so that we do not look like this!

    Doofus Blurry Drunk Vomit Caffeine
    Thorsten
    Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:00 am
    Food.com Groupie
    mama's kitchen wrote:
    Bunny Mom wrote:
    ncmysteryshopper wrote:
    Rita L wrote:
    ncmysteryshopper wrote:
    The Rumtopf Party Bus Participants
    This will be one of the top zaar recipes! lol!

    toni gifford
    mama's kitchen
    ncmysteryshopper
    sarahsmomi
    Bunny Mom
    Thorsten (Inge I guess will post the review since it is your recipe? Is she a new member of one of the teams? I have not gotten confirmation...)

    Anyone else??? Hop aboard for the 1009 hour journey.....

    Rumtopf (Traditional German Beverage) by Thorsten
    Count me in!!!!!You should have known! icon_wink.gif


    I knew you were coming icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

    The Rumtopf Party Bus Participants
    This will be one of the top zaar recipes! lol!

    toni gifford
    mama's kitchen
    ncmysteryshopper
    sarahsmomi
    Bunny Mom
    RitaL
    Thorsten (Inge I guess will post the review since it is your recipe? Is she a new member of one of the teams? I have not gotten confirmation...)

    Anyone else??? Hop aboard for the 1009 hour journey.....


    I am getting off the bus early. I just know I will not get around to making this. I will watch with great anticipation everyone's reviews.


    Oh BunnyMom please reconsider.It did not take long at all to assemble.

    THORSTEN - does this sound right? I just chopped up the fruit and mixed with the sugar- about 2-3 minutes. Let it set for 1 hour then added it to the jar and added the rum and stirred again. Covered and put in the pantry. Minus the 1 hour wait between it took like 5 minutes total.

    It sounds like so much fun. Would love to have you join us!

    Mama


    Yes, as I said, take my recipe like a general guide line. For Rumtopf there are mayn ways to prepare it. Some chop their fruit to bite size pieces, others just halfed them...
    My grandma sometimes put the fruit directly into the jar, added the sugar and Rum - done ina minute or as long as you need to prepare the fruit.

    The miracle of Rumtopf is, that it is a very strong beverage on the one side, but on the other side a fantastic way to preserve fruit (but not for kids). Once you have taste the fruit and the Rum, you will know what I mean.

    The fruit are best with vanilla ice (only with little of Rum). You can use the Rum to flavor any dessert or dessert sauces. There are also cookie recipes calling for Rum as an ingredient. Try it with the Rum from this Rumtopf.

    The Rum as well as the fruit are very strong. But you are the first, who can try it. I think you are the first started a Rumtopf. I will do mine on the weekend.

    Because "time travelling" is still impossible (even for Zaar Chefs) I will do it in a one-step procedure. I can hear the traditionalists scream, but there is no other chance to get it in time icon_biggrin.gif Forgive me icon_biggrin.gif
    katie in the UP
    Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:18 am
    Food.com Groupie
    ncmysteryshopper wrote:
    Bunny Mom wrote:
    Here is a Rumtopf Jar on e-bay....but it is heavy and in the UK....too expensive for me!

    E-bay Rumtopf


    This one is 125.00 icon_eek.gif Rumtopf

    I like the blue one that is at 4.99 more my speed!


    Oh, now that I know what they are...I'm going to use my bean crock...it has a lid...not pretty like that one..but I can put some saran wrap on before the lid (has a vent hole) and it should work!!
    NcMysteryShopper
    Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:27 am
    Food.com Groupie
    The Rumtopf Party Bus Participants
    This will be one of the top zaar recipes! lol!

    toni gifford
    mama's kitchen
    ncmysteryshopper
    sarahsmomi
    katie in the UP
    RitaL
    Inge 1505
    Nora Marie

    Anyone else??? Hop aboard for the 1009 hour journey...


    Bunny hop on back!!!
    Fairy Nuff
    Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:32 am
    Food.com Groupie
    I would love to join the party but just the thought of rum makes me want to barf - I don't mix well with rum
    NcMysteryShopper
    Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:52 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Fairy Nuff wrote:
    I would love to join the party but just the thought of rum makes me want to barf - I don't mix well with rum

    It would make a good christmas present....... like BunnyMom Suggested.....
    -Sylvie-
    Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:22 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Have fun with your Rumtopf, everyone. icon_biggrin.gif

    As Thorsten said you should try the fruit over vanilla ice cream, it's yummy!

    icon_biggrin.gif
    -Sylvie-
    Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:27 am
    Food.com Groupie
    I forgot to add this recipe to my list of German recipes, when I posted it earlier.

    Pinapple Marzipan Cake
    The recipe comes from my auntie Lene. Last time I went home to Germany to visit my family this was waiting for me on arrival outside the backdoor of my parent's house! It makes a delicious, moist cake that keeps very well for a few days! icon_biggrin.gif
    ~Leslie~
    Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:35 am
    Forum Host
    Can we make our Rumtopf in large Mason jars?
    Anyone know?
    Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
    Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:41 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Thorsten wrote:
    mama's kitchen wrote:
    Bunny Mom wrote:
    ncmysteryshopper wrote:
    Rita L wrote:
    ncmysteryshopper wrote:
    The Rumtopf Party Bus Participants
    This will be one of the top zaar recipes! lol!

    toni gifford
    mama's kitchen
    ncmysteryshopper
    sarahsmomi
    Bunny Mom
    Thorsten (Inge I guess will post the review since it is your recipe? Is she a new member of one of the teams? I have not gotten confirmation...)

    Anyone else??? Hop aboard for the 1009 hour journey.....

    Rumtopf (Traditional German Beverage) by Thorsten
    Count me in!!!!!You should have known! icon_wink.gif


    I knew you were coming icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

    The Rumtopf Party Bus Participants
    This will be one of the top zaar recipes! lol!

    toni gifford
    mama's kitchen
    ncmysteryshopper
    sarahsmomi
    Bunny Mom
    RitaL
    Thorsten (Inge I guess will post the review since it is your recipe? Is she a new member of one of the teams? I have not gotten confirmation...)

    Anyone else??? Hop aboard for the 1009 hour journey.....


    I am getting off the bus early. I just know I will not get around to making this. I will watch with great anticipation everyone's reviews.


    Oh BunnyMom please reconsider.It did not take long at all to assemble.

    THORSTEN - does this sound right? I just chopped up the fruit and mixed with the sugar- about 2-3 minutes. Let it set for 1 hour then added it to the jar and added the rum and stirred again. Covered and put in the pantry. Minus the 1 hour wait between it took like 5 minutes total.

    It sounds like so much fun. Would love to have you join us!

    Mama


    Yes, as I said, take my recipe like a general guide line. For Rumtopf there are mayn ways to prepare it. Some chop their fruit to bite size pieces, others just halfed them...
    My grandma sometimes put the fruit directly into the jar, added the sugar and Rum - done ina minute or as long as you need to prepare the fruit.

    The miracle of Rumtopf is, that it is a very strong beverage on the one side, but on the other side a fantastic way to preserve fruit (but not for kids). Once you have taste the fruit and the Rum, you will know what I mean.

    The fruit are best with vanilla ice (only with little of Rum). You can use the Rum to flavor any dessert or dessert sauces. There are also cookie recipes calling for Rum as an ingredient. Try it with the Rum from this Rumtopf.

    The Rum as well as the fruit are very strong. But you are the first, who can try it. I think you are the first started a Rumtopf. I will do mine on the weekend.

    Because "time travelling" is still impossible (even for Zaar Chefs) I will do it in a one-step procedure. I can hear the traditionalists scream, but there is no other chance to get it in time icon_biggrin.gif Forgive me icon_biggrin.gif



    Thortsten,

    Are you saying that doing it the "one-step" way the Rumtopf will be ready sooner than 6 weeks? If so how soon will it be ready for consumption?

    Also, I am confused at one point. Does it need ventilation? or is it to be sealed airtight?

    I am sorry we have so many grossmater's rolling in their graves. I do that too often! More so with the Scandinavian ancestors though! lol


    Mama


    Last edited by Mama's Kitchen (Hope) on Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total
    Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
    Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:46 am
    Food.com Groupie
    sarahsmomi wrote:
    Can we make our Rumtopf in large Mason jars?
    Anyone know?


    I think the jar would have to be very large- like a half gallon. It also should be out of the light so if clear it should be covered in fabric as NCMystery suggested.

    Like I said I used a crock type cookie jar and saran wrap to seal it better and then put it in my dark pantry on a back shelf.

    I think it was Katie who said she was using a bean pot. I would think a crock type bowl - like an old bread bowl- would work as well.

    Hope this helps

    Mama
    ~Leslie~
    Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:57 am
    Forum Host
    It does help Hope, thanks!
    I have an antique crock here, it's a large ceramic crock with a lid that just rests on top, doesn't seal.
    Like this:

    You think I can use it with some saran wrap?
    I was afraid 'cause it doesn't seal, also because it's soooo old.
    Going to go to e-bay to look at more jars, then I will go out and see what I can find today.
    Thorsten
    Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:22 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    mama's kitchen wrote:



    Thortsten,

    Are you saying that doing it the "one-step" way the Rumtopf will be ready sooner than 6 weeks? If so how soon will it be ready for consumption?

    Also, I am confused at one point. Does it need ventilation? or is it to be sealed airtight?

    I am sorry we have so many grossmater's rolling in their graves. I do that too often! More so with the Scandinavian ancestors though! lol


    Mama


    No, one-step means that I put in all the different fruit at one time instead of waiting through the season (which in now impossible). Normally Rumtopf will be made step-by-step with different fruit.
    Typical in Germany
    1. step: May/June Strawberries
    wait.
    2. step: July cherries, summerberries
    wait
    3. step: August Plums, berries
    wait
    4. step: October pears

    You repeat every time the same prepared fruit, add sugar, let stand for 1 hour, put fruit into rumtopf, fill up with Rum. Set aside and wait until next fruit is ripe ...repeat step ...

    After you have added the last fruit of the season you fill up with Rum a last time and then wait for 6 weeks.

    So, it doesn't matter, if you do it in one step or as described above. You have to wait for 6 week. I know, this takes some selfcontrol icon_biggrin.gif

    No, no ventilation, airtight.

    Like your questions. Brings me to the point to think about the recipe again and to improve the description.
    Thorsten
    Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:30 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    sarahsmomi wrote:
    It does help Hope, thanks!
    I have an antique crock here, it's a large ceramic crock with a lid that just rests on top, doesn't seal.
    Like this:

    You think I can use it with some saran wrap?
    I was afraid 'cause it doesn't seal, also because it's soooo old.
    Going to go to e-bay to look at more jars, then I will go out and see what I can find today.


    Your ceramic crock should work. Before you use the crock, sterilize it with boiling water. The age of the crock doesn't matter, if you can clean it before use and sterilize it with hot water. I use a glas jar without any sterilization. The alcohol is 54%, this will be enough.

    The Rumtopf of my grandma was over 20 years old.
    ~Leslie~
    Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:59 pm
    Forum Host
    Great! Thanks Thorsten! icon_biggrin.gif icon_cool.gif
    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Page >> E-mail me when someone replies to this
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites