Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Breads & Baking / Need Ideas for Sourdough Bread Class
    Lost? Site Map

    Need Ideas for Sourdough Bread Class

    Go to page 1, 2  Next Page >>
    Donna M.
    Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:57 am
    Forum Host
    I want to get going on a sourdough bread class very soon. Who all is interested in joining? What kind of bread do you guys want to make? We could do a basic loaf in a pan, free-form loaves, a French loaf, rye, whole wheat, or.........you tell me what you want.

    If there is anyone out there who wants to join the class and doesn't have a sourdough starter already, contact me or CarrolJ and we can send some to you. Either 'Zaar-mail us or post here and ask us to email you if you aren't a premium member. Don't post your email address--we can get mail to you without it.
    Margie Brock
    Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:11 am
    Semi-Experienced "Sous Chef" Poster
    Count me in Donna M.
    Any type would be fine with me however I would like to try the French Loaf.
    Margie
    CobraLimes
    Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:49 am
    Food.com Groupie
    I'm in, too. Ditto on the French Loaf. Something along the lines of a crusty baguette would be great. I tried using Amy Scherber's baguette recipe with my wild yeast starter and the loaves came out *okay*, but not as good as when I've used yeast. I'm having difficulty with the conversions from yeast to starter and could use some good recipes to replace those I've had success with in the past. Thanks, Donna.
    Chipfo
    Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:45 am
    Food.com Groupie
    I will definately attend if I possibly can, this will depend on work and a couple of other priorities, depending on when the class is.

    If I could promise to be here I would vote for the basic loaf in a pan since I have never baked a sourdough. But a free-form French loaf sounds great too, my mouth is already watering. Even if I can't be here at the time I will definately read and try it. I love fresh homemade bread, I have been baking yeast breads for a few years now, I can't wait to make a sourdough.
    Chipfo
    Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:35 am
    Food.com Groupie
    I just looked at your basic and french sourdough recipes Donna, I have started the Bahrain yeast this morning and I hopefully will bake a loaf tomorrow night, I am going to use your Basic Sourdough Bread recipe #34753 so I will change my vote to your french loaf in the class. I bet it makes a very good french bread! Mmmm, garlic toast icon_biggrin.gif

    I wish I could go to sleep and wake up when the starter is ready icon_biggrin.gif , I can't wait to try it.
    Donna M.
    Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:41 pm
    Forum Host
    Chipfo wrote:
    I just looked at your basic and french sourdough recipes Donna, I have started the Bahrain yeast this morning and I hopefully will bake a loaf tomorrow night, I am going to use your Basic Sourdough Bread recipe #34753 so I will change my vote to your french loaf in the class. I bet it makes a very good french bread! Mmmm, garlic toast icon_biggrin.gif

    I wish I could go to sleep and wake up when the starter is ready icon_biggrin.gif , I can't wait to try it.


    Chip--how's the starter doing? Is it getting nice and bubbly? Remember, when you make the bread that it takes longer to rise than commercial yeast. Allow yourself 3 hours for the final rise. Sometimes it doesn't take that long but definitely don't bake it until it has doubled or you will end up with a dense loaf. In the beginning of the rise period it will just sit there and appear to do nothing and then all of a sudden it will start to grow.
    Chipfo
    Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:25 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Donna M. wrote:
    Chipfo wrote:
    I just looked at your basic and french sourdough recipes Donna, I have started the Bahrain yeast this morning and I hopefully will bake a loaf tomorrow night, I am going to use your Basic Sourdough Bread recipe #34753 so I will change my vote to your french loaf in the class. I bet it makes a very good french bread! Mmmm, garlic toast icon_biggrin.gif

    I wish I could go to sleep and wake up when the starter is ready icon_biggrin.gif , I can't wait to try it.


    Chip--how's the starter doing? Is it getting nice and bubbly? Remember, when you make the bread that it takes longer to rise than commercial yeast. Allow yourself 3 hours for the final rise. Sometimes it doesn't take that long but definitely don't bake it until it has doubled or you will end up with a dense loaf. In the beginning of the rise period it will just sit there and appear to do nothing and then all of a sudden it will start to grow.


    Hello Donna, yes the starter did fine, I have added the second dose of flour and water and I am sure to wake up in the morning to a bubbly hungry culture to feed a third time, I will plan on making a loaf tomorrow afternoon. Thank you so much.
    UbiDubi
    Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:10 pm
    Newbie "Fry Cook" Poster
    Hi Donna:

    It seems the current "fad" is Ciabatta bread around here in Northern California (Thanks to Jack in the Box????). It may be one that people would like to learn a little bit about.

    Also, how about ideas for using "standard sourdough recipes" in a bread machine, and the advantages to using the machine's dough cycle while baking a standard oven.

    Ross
    CarrolJ
    Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:42 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Donna, I hope you know I will do everything I can to support you in this class. I am currently having physical therapy Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday at 1:00 p.m. But schedule what is best for the others and I will work around it.
    Donna M.
    Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:07 am
    Forum Host
    CarrolJ wrote:
    Donna, I hope you know I will do everything I can to support you in this class. I am currently having physical therapy Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday at 1:00 p.m. But schedule what is best for the others and I will work around it.


    It's hard to pick a day that will work for everyone. Saturdays seem to be best since a lot of those who work during the week are off. I only get every third Saturday off, myself. That really limits me. I would really prefer to do it on a Wednesday, since I always have that day off.

    I would like to make something other than just a plain 'ole loaf, also. Maybe a free-form loaf or French loaf? Do you have any suggestions?

    UbiDubi wrote:
    Hi Donna:

    It seems the current "fad" is Ciabatta bread around here in Northern California (Thanks to Jack in the Box????). It may be one that people would like to learn a little bit about.

    Also, how about ideas for using "standard sourdough recipes" in a bread machine, and the advantages to using the machine's dough cycle while baking a standard oven.

    Ross


    I doubt I will do a Ciabatta, as that is one that I have yet to make myself, so teaching it would not be a good idea! One of these days I will try it.

    I wish I had more bread eaters in my family. I have 3 boys and they eat very little bread. I'd bake bread every day if I could and someone would help me eat it.
    Margie Brock
    Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:29 am
    Semi-Experienced "Sous Chef" Poster
    Donna M
    Please set the class for when it is convenient for you. If I cannot support you during the actual class I can definitely pickup the thread after the class is over and make mine.
    Margie
    kzbhansen
    Sun May 01, 2005 7:53 pm
    Forum Host
    I sent you an email before seeing this posting about the starters, Im in for the class. I work nights but Im available during the day!! This should be fun!! --Karen
    Donna M.
    Sun May 01, 2005 8:15 pm
    Forum Host
    It IS fun! I am having a really tough time getting a class scheduled because it seems like Saturday is the best time to catch the most people and I work 2 out of 3 Saturdays. My next weekend off is the 21st of May but I have to bake a wedding cake that weekend. I could do a Wednesday class, but I don't know how many people are available on Wednesdays. I am on vacation the entire last week of May so I could do it any day then (but the last weekend is Memorial Day weekend, so that Saturday probably wouldn't be good).
    CobraLimes
    Sun May 01, 2005 10:59 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Donna M. wrote:
    It IS fun! I am having a really tough time getting a class scheduled because it seems like Saturday is the best time to catch the most people and I work 2 out of 3 Saturdays. My next weekend off is the 21st of May but I have to bake a wedding cake that weekend. I could do a Wednesday class, but I don't know how many people are available on Wednesdays. I am on vacation the entire last week of May so I could do it any day then (but the last weekend is Memorial Day weekend, so that Saturday probably wouldn't be good).


    No, please not the last week of May or first week of June. I'm out of town then and couldn't stand it if I wasn't involved in the class. icon_cry.gif ANY other time would be fine for me. I'll move mountains to participate. Please keep me posted (zaarmail would be great). Thanks so much for all you do here. My starters are still going strong and making lots of people happy. icon_biggrin.gif
    Donna M.
    Sun May 01, 2005 11:23 pm
    Forum Host
    Maybe I will just have to hold the class on two dates to enable more people to participate. Like maybe a Wednesday and a Saturday?

    Those starters kinda start to be like members of the family, don't they? icon_lol.gif
    Go to page 1, 2  Next Page >> E-mail me when someone replies to this
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites