Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Breads & Baking / Bread machine bread problem
    Lost? Site Map

    Bread machine bread problem

    *Z*
    Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:13 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    I made a loaf of 50% wheat bread in my bread machine the other day. It smelled wonderfull!!!! It looked wonderful!!The crust was the perfect color!! When I tried to cut it.....The crust was so hard I almost had to chip it to get it to cut!! The inside of the bread was very tasty, it was just the crust!! It was so hard it was inedible!!! icon_eek.gif What did I do wrong??? icon_confused.gif I had the machine set for wheat bread and med. color crust.
    I have to say that I am a bread machine novice. I have had the thing for probably 4 years and this is only the 3rd time I have used it! icon_redface.gif It was fresh yeast but older flour. Could that be the problem???? I used white bread flour and wheat bread flour.HELP!!!! icon_confused.gif
    chef 138622
    Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:42 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Zaney1 wrote:
    I made a loaf of 50% wheat bread in my bread machine the other day. It smelled wonderfull!!!! It looked wonderful!!The crust was the perfect color!! When I tried to cut it.....The crust was so hard I almost had to chip it to get it to cut!! The inside of the bread was very tasty, it was just the crust!! It was so hard it was inedible!!! icon_eek.gif What did I do wrong??? icon_confused.gif I had the machine set for wheat bread and med. color crust.
    I have to say that I am a bread machine novice. I have had the thing for probably 4 years and this is only the 3rd time I have used it! icon_redface.gif It was fresh yeast but older flour. Could that be the problem???? I used white bread flour and wheat bread flour.HELP!!!! icon_confused.gif



    What brand of bread machine is it? Some bread machines cook too hot and you end up with a thick hard crust.
    *Z*
    Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:49 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    It is a Sunbeam.
    Donna M.
    Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:19 pm
    Forum Host
    If your schedule permits it, I highly recommend that you use the dough cycle on your machine and then bake your bread in the conventional oven (350F for about 30 minutes, maybe slightly more or less depending on the size loaf). I never liked the crusts on bread machine bread and then I started baking it in the oven and I'll never go back. It is soooo much better.
    *Z*
    Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:05 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Donna M. wrote:
    If your schedule permits it, I highly recommend that you use the dough cycle on your machine and then bake your bread in the conventional oven (350F for about 30 minutes, maybe slightly more or less depending on the size loaf). I never liked the crusts on bread machine bread and then I started baking it in the oven and I'll never go back. It is soooo much better.


    This is just what I had decided I would try!! icon_lol.gif I was telling my Mom about it and she said that she never uses her bread machine to bake the bread, just to make the dough!
    Jenny Sanders
    Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:12 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    We make ours in the bread machine, but I always use the light crust option. icon_smile.gif Otherwise, too dark, too hard.
    *Z*
    Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:37 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Jenny Sanders wrote:
    We make ours in the bread machine, but I always use the light crust option. icon_smile.gif Otherwise, too dark, too hard.


    Maybe I will try this first! I love fresh bread but I am lazy and don't want to have to do more work than is neccessary!!! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif
    Judy from Hawaii
    Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:29 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Zaney1 wrote:
    Jenny Sanders wrote:
    We make ours in the bread machine, but I always use the light crust option. icon_smile.gif Otherwise, too dark, too hard.


    Maybe I will try this first! I love fresh bread but I am lazy and don't want to have to do more work than is neccessary!!! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif


    I would give it a try, as that is how I use mine & haven't had problems with my crusts.
    PanNan
    Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:35 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    I use the light crust option, and then just before it's completely cooled, I seal it in a plastic bag. After an hour or so, the crust is just right.
    *Z*
    Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:42 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    well, I'm trying it again. Just a white loaf this time though. I have it on the light crust option so we will see!!! I have about 2 more hours to go on it and I'm sitting here with fingers crossed!If it works I will make a wheat loaf tomorrow or maybe a raisin bread! icon_smile.gif
    Dorel
    Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:05 am
    Food.com Groupie
    I think it helps if you put it in a plastic bag while warm and the crust will soften up from the moisture given off by the wam loaf.
    E-mail me when someone replies to this
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites