Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Slow Cooker & Crock-Pot Cooking / I think my crockpots are too hot!
    Lost? Site Map

    I think my crockpots are too hot!

    KCShell
    Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:26 am
    Food.com Groupie
    I have a rival "smart pot" with the programmable feature and an old style (not recalled) crockpot that doesn't have a removable center.
    I think they both cook way too hot!
    When crockpot recipes here on the zaar say, "Cook for 8-10 hours" I would love to do that, but there is no way I could ever do it because the food is trashed.
    Do I not put enough food in it? (We have 6 people in our family)
    Even when I layer the bottom with veggies and add frozen chicken or something, it still cooks way too fast.
    I would love to use it while we are away at work and school. Someone comes home 7 hours after I leave.
    One time I followed a recipe for potato soup. Took special care to cut the veggies and added all the ingredients, and when I got home, it was curdled! I was sooo mad because I used alot of cheese and kind of expensive ingredients.
    Does anyone have a brand that is truely a "slow" cooker?
    I would appreciate any input!
    KCShell
    Chippie
    Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:03 am
    Food.com Groupie
    KC,

    I have this one as well as 2 other types and have only the quick cooking problem with an old one my mother gave me. But it works great as a hot appetizer heolder.

    This one is my favorite:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00067REJC/qid=1106924471/sr=8-11/ref=pd_ka_4/002-3952569-1571204?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=507846
    keen5
    Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:28 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    KCShell wrote:
    I have a rival "smart pot" with the programmable feature and an old style (not recalled) crockpot that doesn't have a removable center.
    I think they both cook way too hot!
    When crockpot recipes here on the zaar say, "Cook for 8-10 hours" I would love to do that, but there is no way I could ever do it because the food is trashed.
    Do I not put enough food in it? (We have 6 people in our family)
    Even when I layer the bottom with veggies and add frozen chicken or something, it still cooks way too fast.
    I would love to use it while we are away at work and school. Someone comes home 7 hours after I leave.
    One time I followed a recipe for potato soup. Took special care to cut the veggies and added all the ingredients, and when I got home, it was curdled! I was sooo mad because I used alot of cheese and kind of expensive ingredients.
    Does anyone have a brand that is truely a "slow" cooker?
    I would appreciate any input!
    KCShell


    I have the Rival Smart Pot that is programmable. I've never had a problem with the recipes I've tried so far. You might want to go to the Rival website (don't know the link) and question them about it. The outside of my pot gets hot, but it cooks the food just fine, as long as no one keeps lifting the lid to look at it...like my son's wife... icon_rolleyes.gif
    KCShell
    Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:36 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Chippie wrote:
    KC,

    I have this one as well as 2 other types and have only the quick cooking problem with an old one my mother gave me. But it works great as a hot appetizer heolder.

    This one is my favorite:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00067REJC/qid=1106924471/sr=8-11/ref=pd_ka_4/002-3952569-1571204?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=507846


    Hi Thanks, I am definately going to research a bunch of them and try a different one because I love the concept!
    KC
    KCShell
    Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:38 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Quote:
    I have the Rival Smart Pot that is programmable. I've never had a problem with the recipes I've tried so far. You might want to go to the Rival website (don't know the link) and question them about it. The outside of my pot gets hot, but it cooks the food just fine, as long as no one keeps lifting the lid to look at it...like my son's wife... icon_rolleyes.gif


    Well, that is a good idea. I will go there and see what I can find out! Thanks,
    KCShell
    ~Nimz~
    Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:35 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Chippie wrote:
    KC,

    I have this one as well as 2 other types and have only the quick cooking problem with an old one my mother gave me. But it works great as a hot appetizer heolder.

    This one is my favorite:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00067REJC/qid=1106924471/sr=8-11/ref=pd_ka_4/002-3952569-1571204?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=507846


    I just bought this one and it has burned everything I have cooked in it.
    chef 138622
    Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:44 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    if you click on my about me page you will find a link that will take you to my favorite programmable Crockpot . Ive had it for over a year used it a few times a week it has features that the Rival smart pot is missing , and it doesn't cook too hot.
    ~Nimz~
    Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:23 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Mrs_Magickal_Gourmet wrote:
    if you click on my about me page you will find a link that will take you to my favorite programmable Crockpot . Ive had it for over a year used it a few times a week it has features that the Rival smart pot is missing , and it doesn't cook too hot.


    Someone else mentioned that one. I think I am going to get it tomorrow. I hope they have a smaller size since there are only 2 of us. Hope also that Linens & Things will take back this piece of junk I bought.
    Stop sending e-mails when someone replies
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites