Recipe Sifter

  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.


As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Great Britain and Ireland / British Measurements & Cooking Terms
    Lost? Site Map

    British Measurements & Cooking Terms

    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
    Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:18 pm Groupie
    British - American Cooking Terms


    afters = dessert
    Aubergine = Eggplant
    bacon = Canadian bacon or ham
    Baking tray = Cookie sheet
    bangers = sausages
    Baps, A "bap" = a whole hamburger bun (both top and bottom)
    Beetroot = Beets
    Bicarbonate of soda = Baking soda
    Biscuits = Cookies
    bitter = beer
    Bilberry = Blueberry
    Biscuit mixture = Cookie dough
    Black cherries = Bing cherries
    Boiled sweets = Hard candy
    brew = cup of tea
    Broad Beans = Fava beans
    brown sauce = Steak sauce
    Bun = Cupcake
    Bun Tin = Cupcake pan
    candy floss = cotton candy
    Capsicum = Bell peppers
    Carolina rice = Short grain rice
    Castor sugar = Superfine granulated sugar, or sugar blended twice
    Chicken cube, beef cube = Bouillon cube
    Chicory = Belgian endive
    chipolata = small sausage, Cocktail sausages
    chips = French fries
    chocolate drops = chocolate chips
    Chocolate strands, Chocolate vermicelli = Chocolate sprinkles
    Cling film = Plastic wrap
    Collops = Meatballs
    Cooking thermometer = Candy thermometer
    Cornflour = Cornstarch
    Cos lettuce = Romaine lettuce
    Courgette = Zucchini
    crisps = potato chips
    Crumpet = Similar to an English muffin
    Crystallised fruits = Candied fruits
    cuppa = cup of tea
    Curly endive = Chicory
    dark cooking chocolate = semi-sweet chocolate
    Demerara sugar = Light brown sugar
    Dessicated coconut = Flaked coconut
    Digestive biscuits = Graham crackers
    Double cream = Heavy cream or whipping cream
    English round lettuce = Bibb lettuce
    Essence = Extract
    fairy cake = cupcake (Australian English: patty cake or cup cake)
    Fish Fingers = fish sticks
    fizzy drink = carbonated drinks
    Forcemeat = Stuffing mixture
    French beans = Green beans
    Gammon = Ham
    Ginger nut = Ginger snap
    Girdle = Griddle
    gobstopper = jawbreaker
    golden caster sugar = unrefined caster sugar (slightly golden hue due to a bit of molasses used in processing)
    Golden syrup = Light Karo Syrup
    Greaseproof paper = Waxed paper, Wax paper
    Ground nut = Peanut
    Ground nut oil = Peanut oil
    Haricot beans = Navy beans
    ice lolly = popsicle
    Icing sugar or 10 k sugar = Confectioners' sugar or powdered sugar
    Italian 00 flour = pasta flour
    Jam = Jelly
    Jelly = Jell-O, gelatin
    jacket potato = baked potato
    kippers = smoked herring
    Knob of butter = Pat of butter
    Lean bacon = Canadian bacon
    Liver sausage = Liverwurst
    Lyle's Golden Syrup = Light Karo Syrup
    Mangetout = snow/sugar peas
    Marrow = Large zucchini
    mash = mashed potatoes
    Mince = Ground beef
    Minced meat = Ground meat
    Mixed spice = Pumpkin pie spice
    Morello cherries = sour cherries
    Muscovado sugar = Raw, unrefined sugar
    muesli = granola
    Orange pepper = Bell pepper
    Patna rice = Long grain rice
    Pastry case = Pie shell
    Pawpaw = Papaya
    Pig’s trotter = Pig’s foot
    pips = seeds
    Plain flour = All-purpose flour
    Polony = Bologna sausage
    Porridge = Oatmeal, cooked
    Prawns = Shrimp
    Pudding cloth = Cheesecloth
    Rasher of Bacon, Rashers = Slices of Canadian bacon or ham
    Rasher = Slice
    Red pepper = Bell pepper
    rocket = arugula
    scone = Baking powder biscuit, sweet or savory
    Semolina = Cream of wheat
    Sieve = Sift
    Single cream = Light cream, half and half
    Soft brown sugar = Brown sugar
    Spring onions = Green onions
    SR Flour = Self Raising Flour
    Stoned = Seeded
    Streaky bacon = Bacon
    Strong flour = Bread flour
    Sultanas = seedless white raisins, golden raisins
    Swede = Rutabaga, turnip
    Sweetcorn = Corn
    Sweet pepper = Pimiento
    Sweets = Candy
    Swiss roll = Jelly roll
    Tin = Can
    Tinned = Canned
    Treacle = Molasses
    Toffee = Taffy
    tomato puree = tomato paste
    tomato sauce = tomato ketchup
    Vegetable fat = Crisco
    Vegetable marrow = Yellow squash
    Water biscuits = Crackers, matzos
    Wholemeal flour = Whole wheat flour
    Yellow pepper = Bell pepper
    Rachel Savage
    Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:15 pm
    Regular "Line Cook" Poster
    I would take issue with some of this:

    Wheres_the_Beef? wrote:
    British - American Cooking Terms


    bitter = beer

    As noted above, the American "beer" includes the British lager and ale (including bitter)

    Bilberry = Blueberry

    My experience is that the British call American blueberries "blueberries".

    brown sauce = Steak sauce

    Brown sauce can probably be substituted for steak sauce, but the taste is different -- less smoky and more sweet.

    Bun = Cupcake

    Cupcakes are one type of bun, but "bun" can also refer to what Americans would call buns or other types of pastries.

    chocolate drops = chocolate chips

    Chocolate drops are bigger than American chocolate chips. American-style chocolate chips, called "chocolate chips" are readily available in the UK, just in much smaller packages than in the US (around 4 oz rather than 12-16).

    Digestive biscuits = Graham crackers

    Again, more of a substitution than an exact equivalence. Digestives are thicker (and round!)

    Greaseproof paper = Waxed paper, Wax paper

    Also a substitution, and an inadequate one at that. Waxed paper is covered in wax. Greaseproof paper is not, which gives it different properties. I find baking parchment to be a better substitute as it is less likely to stick than greaseproof paper (unless you grease and flour the greaseproof paper, as called for in many British recipes)

    Toffee = Taffy

    Not even close. I think Americans call toffee "toffee". Taffy is not available in the UK and there is no British word for it.

    Water biscuits = Crackers, matzos

    Matzo/matzah is available in the UK by that name. I would translate the American "cracker" as "savoury biscuit"
    Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:55 am
    Newbie "Fry Cook" Poster
    Wow, it's an amazing stats about measurements in Cooking. It would help us a lot in synchronization and recipe perfection. Thanks
    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 E-mail me when someone replies to this
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy

    Ideas from

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes Network of Sites