Recipe Sifter

  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.


As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Cooking Q & A / What is a pie called that has only a bottom crust
    Lost? Site Map

    What is a pie called that has only a bottom crust

    Bonnie Young
    Thu May 09, 2013 1:30 pm Groupie
    What is a pie called where the prepared crust is put on a sheet pan
    and the pie filling such as apple is placed on top and the edges just folded over the apples leaving the top open.
    Thanks for your help as it driving me crazy!!!
    Thu May 09, 2013 1:38 pm Groupie
    one crust pie ??
    oh, maybe you mean like a Clafoutis ? no, that's a dough..
    Thu May 09, 2013 2:11 pm
    Forum Host
    Crostata or galette.

    Last edited by duonyte on Thu May 09, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total
    Thu May 09, 2013 2:15 pm
    Forum Host
    A lovely rustic tart.
    Bonnie Young
    Thu May 09, 2013 2:17 pm Groupie
    that is just what I was looking for thank you all!
    Thu May 09, 2013 10:30 pm Groupie
    duonyte wrote:
    Crostata or galette.

    A crostata is typically made in a removable-bottom tart pan, so it free-stands by itself after baking. The kind of "pie" described (the dough is rolled out to about 1.5x the desired final diameter, the filling is piled in the middle, and the excess dough is folded over the filling) is called a galette.
    Fri May 10, 2013 12:01 am
    Forum Host
    Its called a Galette.
    Fri May 10, 2013 12:29 am Groupie
    Or a tart. In my house it's a crostata if it's rustic.

    Sat May 11, 2013 9:23 am
    Forum Host
    A pie with no lid, so to speak is a tart- I googled it and this is what I found

    "Tart is defined as a single-layered base of pastry (plain or puff) with a sweet or savory filling baked in either a shallow tart pan that has straight, fluted sides and a removable bottom or a metal tart ring placed on a baking sheet".
    Stop sending e-mails when someone replies
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy

    Ideas from

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes Network of Sites