Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Community Cafe / If It Was "Covered"?
    Lost? Site Map

    If It Was "Covered"?

    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2
    racrgal
    Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:53 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    "yea, no major work for me either Sissy
    After you got everything squared with the thyroid, does the hair recover somewhat, or no?
    The Doctor said yesterday if I opt for "lips" again he will fill in the lower lines around the mouth with restylane.
    I've noticed a few friends that have had both microdermabrasion and glycolic peels are able to get rid of the finer lines with the treatments. I'm with you though, I don't want a full facelift, eye lift, brow lift, brazillian butt, wrinkles pulled from chest, implants, (should I go on?!) like some ahem women we know
    I just want a simple lube oil n filter done on this ol gal and send me on my way."

    Sissy, you crack me up. "a simple lube oil n filter" sounds great.
    My hair hasn't come back but it did quit falling out. Hair thinning is one of the symptoms of thyroid issues and is what caused my doc to run the blood test. Sweetie has purchased a couple of different topical products for me and all they seem to do is strip the color. icon_sad.gif

    I like the glow from the microderm and glycolic. I never had a full peel only glycolic facials. A little boost for a special occasion. A friend of mine had a full peel. You could tell exactly where here peel stopped. Unless the neck and decollete is done the neck and chest give away the "work". Baby butt face and turkey neck. For now I'm passing on the full peel.

    One of the things everyone said about my MIL was how well she was aging. Welllllllllllllllllllllll while going through her paperwork, I found out exactly WHY she was aging so well. She had as least one laser lift and was spending a fortune on facials. She didn't look "worked on" in the least.

    The final possible side effect that soured me on the breast reduction was the "loss of sensitivity". Who wants fun bags that aren't any fun? icon_lol.gif
    Recipe Reader
    Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:03 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    I had lasik surgery(out patient procedure) about fifteen years ago to correct my vision, and have been so pleased that I was able to do it. It was not covered by insurance.

    The other thing I would consider if I didn't actually have to have the surgery for is breast reduction. The whole surgery and recovery part is enough for me to skip it.
    Dib's
    Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:34 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    If I had to have something done, I would. I earned my laugh lines & feel there's tons to be said about aging gracefully, that and I'm a total chicken when it comes to needles. Every Dr. I have ever had knows they had best bring in back-up if needles are involved. Really.

    My middle daughter had a breast reduction last year. Double D's on a 29 inch chest. They were destroying her back and shoulders, headaches....8 months later she is a very happy, pain free young woman. Because her Dr. said she should have it done it was covered 100%.
    Dib's
    Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:36 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    MaMere wrote:
    Would you?


    Yesterday some things got me thinking.
    I had to go get a procedure done,(long story, but turns out it was a type of tumor, and it was smack in the middle of my forehead. For a year I tried Baking soda compresses, tea bags, warm compressions, the list could go on forever) and never even thought it would be covered by insurance, it was, for which I was grateful for, after the fact.


    And your going to be ok, right?????
    MaMere
    Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:44 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Dib's wrote:
    If I had to have something done, I would. I earned my laugh lines & feel there's tons to be said about aging gracefully, that and I'm a total chicken when it comes to needles. Every Dr. I have ever had knows they had best bring in back-up if needles are involved. Really.

    My middle daughter had a breast reduction last year. Double D's on a 29 inch chest. They were destroying her back and shoulders, headaches....8 months later she is a very happy, pain free young woman. Because her Dr. said she should have it done it was covered 100%.


    I applaud your daughter, Di. It's not an easy decision to come to, even after Doctors suggestion for it.
    MaMere
    Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:48 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Dib's wrote:
    MaMere wrote:
    Would you?


    Yesterday some things got me thinking.
    I had to go get a procedure done,(long story, but turns out it was a type of tumor, and it was smack in the middle of my forehead. For a year I tried Baking soda compresses, tea bags, warm compressions, the list could go on forever) and never even thought it would be covered by insurance, it was, for which I was grateful for, after the fact.


    And your going to be ok, right?????


    oh hell no, its ME you're asking that?! lol
    yea, should be ok. I'm on "watch" now. No more self diagnosing though, I thought it was a simple cyst that I could home treat all this time, silly me.
    This tumor developed most probably from too much "trauma" per the Doctor. Happy its done with icon_wink.gif
    K9 Owned
    Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:54 pm
    Forum Host
    Interesting question and I'm really not certain.
    I think I would opt for any surgery that was life saving - I'm pretty clear on that one. Also any surgery intended to relieve chronic pain. If I had varicose veins and my legs hurt I would want it fixed as soon as possible. If the veins caused me to feel uncomfortable in many clothes I think I'd go for it.
    I would do a great deal to remain mobile.

    I don't do well with anesthetic so no facelift in my future. That imo would be a silly risk for me. A few years ago I had a botox treatment and some Restylane (or its precursor). Not a big difference but my mother did say that I looked well rested, that was what I was hoping for. I would have loved to have had my lips enhanced slightly - they thin with age, but the introduction of the needle to my lip had me yelling, clutching the chair arms and kicking. True. If it were 'covered' I'd do those two things again but it isn't worth the money to me.
    Lightly Toasted
    Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:32 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    MaMere wrote:
    Dib's wrote:
    If I had to have something done, I would. I earned my laugh lines & feel there's tons to be said about aging gracefully, that and I'm a total chicken when it comes to needles. Every Dr. I have ever had knows they had best bring in back-up if needles are involved. Really.

    My middle daughter had a breast reduction last year. Double D's on a 29 inch chest. They were destroying her back and shoulders, headaches....8 months later she is a very happy, pain free young woman. Because her Dr. said she should have it done it was covered 100%.


    I applaud your daughter, Di. It's not an easy decision to come to, even after Doctors suggestion for it.


    No, its not. And people are rarely supportive. My cousin experienced a lot of icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif "you want them smaller????? icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif

    I have had several good friends who were over-endowed. Made me appreciate being "average"
    SarasotaCook
    Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:03 am
    Food.com Groupie
    MaMere wrote:
    Some procedures I thought were cosmetic are in fact, medical issues.

    my eyelids sag a bit. My Mom had them too at a very young age. So did Grandma. So, I will at some point need to get them done.

    YES, it is covered because it does, not yet, but it will impair my version as what happened to both Mom and Gramma. Yes, some things are medically covered. I wouldn't get them done unless it impaired me.
    Dib's
    Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:20 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Lightly Toasted wrote:
    MaMere wrote:
    Dib's wrote:


    My middle daughter had a breast reduction last year. Double D's on a 29 inch chest. They were destroying her back and shoulders, headaches....8 months later she is a very happy, pain free young woman. Because her Dr. said she should have it done it was covered 100%.


    I applaud your daughter, Di. It's not an easy decision to come to, even after Doctors suggestion for it.


    No, its not. And people are rarely supportive. My cousin experienced a lot of icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif "you want them smaller????? icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif

    I have had several good friends who were over-endowed. Made me appreciate being "average"


    I was the only other person she told other than her boyfriend. She lives and works in Hollywood - the land of monster boobs and lips.

    I'm proud of her. She made the right choice for her overall health.
    CHRISSYG
    Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:50 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    I used to think “hells yeah” I’d have stuff done to nip/tuck/smooth/thin out myself, and if it was COVERED.. abso-friggin-lutely

    And while I’m not in the “absolutely no” category, after taking care of my Mom after her two cosmetic surgeries, I’m more leery about the idea

    I don’t know what kind of laser Mom had, but she looked SCARY for a long time after the laser treatment on her eyes and the care for the laser treated area for the first week or so is crazy… the skin has to be CONSTANTLY covered with this greasy stuff (it’s a controlled burn, basically, so to avoid scars and blisters from the burn, you have to have the skin covered in a medicated ointment, thick layers of it!)

    Mom’s eye lid “lift” was covered by insurance, the laser and other nip/tucks were not, but the anesthesia was covered, since it was required for the lid surgery)
    (funny thing is the lid lift was the last traumatic part of that surgery)
    Her second set of “nip/tucks” was a nearly full face lift, none of that was covered (and it is NOT cheap!)
    You also have to take into consideration that you NEED to have someone look after you for days after a face lift surgery, 24-7… you can’t bend over you have to have someone help you put on and take off clothes, you’re hopped up on pain meds and muscle relaxers (to keep your facial muscles from twitching) you’ve got drains coming out of both sides of your head…
    Don’t count on being seen in public for a while!

    I have a friend that had breast reduction, another one that says it changed her life for the better! (she’s a tiny thing and had HUGE breasts… )

    I’ve got big boobs… I have a hard time finding shirts that button, that aren’t voluminous through the waist and arms… a lift could reduce the size a bit, so I actually have considered it (especially in the last few years as I have some degenerated discs in my lower back)

    … and then I think “If I won that Powerball of over 300 Million dollars, to pay myself for any all of it….
    All bets would be off, I’d hire a personal trainer to kick my butt into shape and an in house nutritionist/chef to make sure I was eating “spa” meals to lose weight and THEN I’d fly out to Beverly Hills or New York and have whoever is the BEST surgeon just do it ALL in one fail swoop, and then go to one of those ‘recovery hotels’ where they take care of you till you look and feel normal enough to rejoin the world


    (can you tell I’ve thought about this a little? LOL)
    SarasotaCook
    Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:12 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Check out new face lifts and surgery ... I don't plan to get them done other than my eye lids when it becomes medically necessary.

    But my friend had a face list, and there are many surgeries and procedures that are very simply. NO, long recoery, NO dramatic recovery time. One of my friends just had it., 3 days later, she looked great, a bit bruised, but good. She was at work 4 days later and good to go.

    There are many different procedures and many different types. She got a ride home only for the anethesia, otherwise ... she was good. Just had to be careful for a a day or so.

    But this goes for many procedures. Lots of levels of procedures these days which are available. NOT all are invasive.

    I inquired on the eyelid surgery, and 2 days, minimal bruising; no long recovery, and just a ride home. Tyenol 3 and ice packs.
    MaMere
    Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:00 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    SarasotaCook wrote:
    Check out new face lifts and surgery ... I don't plan to get them done other than my eye lids when it becomes medically necessary.

    But my friend had a face list, and there are many surgeries and procedures that are very simply. NO, long recoery, NO dramatic recovery time. One of my friends just had it., 3 days later, she looked great, a bit bruised, but good. She was at work 4 days later and good to go.

    There are many different procedures and many different types. She got a ride home only for the anethesia, otherwise ... she was good. Just had to be careful for a a day or so.

    But this goes for many procedures. Lots of levels of procedures these days which are available. NOT all are invasive.

    I inquired on the eyelid surgery, and 2 days, minimal bruising; no long recovery, and just a ride home. Tyenol 3 and ice packs.


    yeppers, I agree Kim. There's little "mini lifts" now that are under 1k, and take about half an hour.
    It amazes me now the surgeries that are considered "out patient".
    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2 Stop sending e-mails when someone replies
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites