Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Kosher & Jewish Cooking / help with coleslaw from Kosher restaurant
    Lost? Site Map

    help with coleslaw from Kosher restaurant

    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Page >>
    rusteehub
    Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:46 pm
    Newbie "Fry Cook" Poster
    Ben's Kosher Deli used to have some recipes on their website which included their fanatastic coleslaw. I got the recipe right from their website but it's not there anymore. Unfortunately, I've lost my copy and if anyone has it please email it ot me at rustyhub@cox.net. Thanks!
    rusteehub
    Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:12 pm
    Newbie "Fry Cook" Poster
    The original Ben's Kosher Deli (Manhattan) Coleslaw from their webiste several years ago:

    Here it is:

    1 pound and 10 ounces of cleaned green cabbage thinly shredded. I usually buy the bagged cabbage with carrots already mixed in.

    1/3 tablespoon minced carrots. When I buy the bagged shredded cabbage with the carrots this step is not necessary.

    2 tablespoons of minced onion.

    2 tablespoons of minced green onion (bell pepper).

    1 cup mayo

    2 1/2 tablespoons sugar

    1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar

    3/4 tablespoon salt

    Dash of white pepper

    In a large bowl mix greens and veggies

    In a small bowl mix other items well

    Pour mixture over greens and mix well

    Refrigerate until time to serve
    vppetunia@yahoo.com
    Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:17 am
    Newbie "Fry Cook" Poster
    I would love to contact you about the Ben's slaw. I'm no longer on LI and I really miss them. It's the only cole slaw I like. Otherwise, it's just raw cabbage to me.
    mgs227
    Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:35 am
    Newbie "Fry Cook" Poster
    Any chance this recipe is still available? New to thr forum - how do I 'zmail'?
    mister_bill
    Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:43 am
    Newbie "Fry Cook" Poster
    rusteehub wrote:
    The original Ben's Kosher Deli (Manhattan) Coleslaw from their webiste several years ago:
    (snip)
    2 tablespoons of minced onion.

    2 tablespoons of minced green onion (bell pepper).

    I just foumd this thread while searching for Ben's cole slaw recipe. Did anyone try this and confirm that it tastes like Ben's cole slaw? I'd be concerned that it's listed as Manhattan since, while they do have a restaurant there, I think they're better known for their Long Island locations, which have been around a lot longer. Also, I am surprised that there is onion in there. Also confused by the notation that green onion is bell pepper, since it's actually scallions (surprised no one pointed that out).

    My mother-in-law used to live in Queens and we ate at Ben's all the time. We would go thru a couple of containers of cole slaw during a meal. If we got lucky, the server would give us a container to take home the extra (usually they said no). My MIL lives in the Bronx now so no more Ben's, although we have found a good deli in Riverdale (Liebman's). The pickles are excellent and the cole slaw is really good, but not quite as good as Ben's. And I have to say that the sandwiches are better than Ben's (I never realized how much Ben's sandwiches had slipped until I had some from Liebman's).
    Saralaya
    Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:12 pm
    Forum Host
    mister_bill wrote:
    rusteehub wrote:
    The original Ben's Kosher Deli (Manhattan) Coleslaw from their webiste several years ago:
    (snip)
    2 tablespoons of minced onion.

    2 tablespoons of minced green onion (bell pepper).

    I just foumd this thread while searching for Ben's cole slaw recipe. Did anyone try this and confirm that it tastes like Ben's cole slaw? I'd be concerned that it's listed as Manhattan since, while they do have a restaurant there, I think they're better known for their Long Island locations, which have been around a lot longer. Also, I am surprised that there is onion in there. Also confused by the notation that green onion is bell pepper, since it's actually scallions (surprised no one pointed that out).

    My mother-in-law used to live in Queens and we ate at Ben's all the time. We would go thru a couple of containers of cole slaw during a meal. If we got lucky, the server would give us a container to take home the extra (usually they said no). My MIL lives in the Bronx now so no more Ben's, although we have found a good deli in Riverdale (Liebman's). The pickles are excellent and the cole slaw is really good, but not quite as good as Ben's. And I have to say that the sandwiches are better than Ben's (I never realized how much Ben's sandwiches had slipped until I had some from Liebman's).


    Hi mister_bill and welcome to the forum!! This thread was started so long ago..... your best bet is to send a private message to either the original person who posted or someone else who commented about Ben's in particular. You can do this by clicking on the chef's name and going to their "About Me" page...there is a red bar with several topics on it above the main picture on an "About Me" page...all the way on the right are two options to click on..the first says "Favorite this Chef" and the second (with a little "Z" next to it) it says "Send Message". You can click there and send a private message to the chef.

    I hope you will come back and see what's up here! Always nice to meet new folks!
    mister_bill
    Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:17 pm
    Newbie "Fry Cook" Poster
    Hi.. thanks for the reply. I did send mail to Mirj, who claimed earlier to have the recipe but could not post it but would email it on request. Not sure that she has posted recently (and no activity on her blog of Facebook page for several months). Then I saw that a recipe was posted later on in the discussion (I only had checked the first page originally), but the inclusion of onion and pepper (or scallion) seems off.

    I was hoping that someone who had subscribed to this thread back when it was active would get notified of a new reply and come back to give their experience with the posted recipe. I could mail the original poster to see if they tried the posted recipe.

    (Fixed typos and added more info)


    Last edited by mister_bill on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total
    chia
    Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:39 am
    Forum Host
    thats so funny, i just mentioned ben's 10 seconds ago in the post about knishes. theyre a few seconds away from my fla house and we had the best knishes, pickles, pastrami and cole slaw there--
    mister_bill
    Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:41 am
    Newbie "Fry Cook" Poster
    chia wrote:
    thats so funny, i just mentioned ben's 10 seconds ago in the post about knishes. theyre a few seconds away from my fla house and we had the best knishes, pickles, pastrami and cole slaw there--
    So you do have their cole slaw recipe? icon_smile.gif.
    chia
    Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:57 pm
    Forum Host
    im
    'm going back next week, i can ask them, lol. i actually like my own cole slaw recipe posted here, and i make it for all the family occasions
    amesdawgs
    Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:27 pm
    Newbie "Fry Cook" Poster
    To add to this discussion, their potato salad is amazing too and I've been searching for a copycat recipe. I happen to have both their cole slaw and potato salads in my fridge right now and will make the cole slaw recipe posted above tonight to see how they compare.

    Any potato salad possibilities?
    nancy0573
    Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:02 pm
    Newbie "Fry Cook" Poster
    I saw your post about the recipe from Bens for their cole slaw. I have been looking for this recipe for a long time...Would love love love if you could zmail me. Thanks so much.


    Last edited by nancy0573 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total
    Saralaya
    Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:21 pm
    Forum Host
    Hi Nancy,

    Welcome to the Forum! I see that you are relatively new to the site. Not that this thread gets a lot of traffic...but it's really never a great idea to post your email address unless you LOVE getting tons of SPAM! You could use the "edit" button at the bottom here and remove it and ask anyone with the recipe to zmail you. Zmail is the internal email here. You can access it by looking under your picture or avatar here...it says "inbox". To send one, you click on a chef's name and on their page, towards the top, it will say "send message".

    Also, this thread is really OLD.....you might be better off zmailing the last person who said that Mirj was going to email him the recipe and see if has it.

    It's nice to see new people in the Forum icon_biggrin.gif
    nancy0573
    Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:33 pm
    Newbie "Fry Cook" Poster
    Thank you for letting me know that.
    icon_biggrin.gif
    Saralaya
    Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:47 pm
    Forum Host
    nancy0573 wrote:
    Thank you for letting me know that.
    icon_biggrin.gif


    icon_biggrin.gif You are welcome! I will send you a zmail so you see it in action! icon_biggrin.gif
    Go to page << Previous Page  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Page >> E-mail me when someone replies to this
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites