Recipe Sifter

X
  • Start Here
    • Course
    • Main Ingredient
    • Cuisine
    • Preparation
    • Occasion
    • Diet
    • Nutrition
1

Select () or exclude () categories to narrow your recipe search.

2

As you select categories, the number of matching recipes will update.

Make some selections to begin narrowing your results.
  • Calories
  • Amount per serving
    1. Total Fat
    2. Saturated Fat
    3. Polyunsat. Fat
    4. Monounsat. Fat
    5. Trans Fat
  • Cholesterol
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Total Carbohydrates
    1. Dietary Fiber
    2. Sugars
  • Protein
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Vitamin C
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin E
  • Magnesium
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Find exactly what you're looking for with the web's most powerful recipe filtering tool.

    You are in: Home / Community Forums / Middle East & North Africa / Moroccan Couscous -- How To with Pictures
    Lost? Site Map

    Moroccan Couscous -- How To with Pictures

    Sackville
    Tue May 31, 2005 3:24 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Some time ago, when this forum first started, someone asked how to make Moroccan couscous and I promised I would go through my notes from my time in Morocco and take pictures along the way.

    Brahim's Desert Couscous

    The main ingredients for the stew:



    Pouring water in the dry couscous:



    Working it with my hands. This is normally done with two hands, rubbing palms together, but it's impossible to do that and take pictures icon_lol.gif



    I hope you can see the difference in texture even after just one rubbing in of water:



    Putting the couscous in my homemade steamer:



    The couscous after two steamings, reading to go on top of the pot for the last time:



    The final result:



    Last edited by Sackville on Tue May 31, 2005 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total
    Derf
    Tue May 31, 2005 3:42 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Sackville Girl that looks wonderfull, every time I've made couscous it ends up very stuck together, kinda in clumps, is it the rubbing that makes it nicely separate icon_question.gif
    In any case I will try this method next time instead of the instructions on the box. Thanks for posting this, I just did some I threw out about 3 days ago, it was really awful and I knew there had to be a way because I love it when I've had it in resturants icon_biggrin.gif (It also had a strange smell, could that be that it might be stale, on the shelf too long icon_question.gif )
    Sackville
    Tue May 31, 2005 4:10 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Derf wrote:
    Sackville Girl that looks wonderfull, every time I've made couscous it ends up very stuck together, kinda in clumps, is it the rubbing that makes it nicely separate icon_question.gif


    Yes, and the steaming. It is very difficult to add too much water this way, whereas it is easy to over water the couscous using the methods often described on the back of boxes. Having said that, this does take longer and may be more fiddly than you are willing to deal with!
    Derf
    Tue May 31, 2005 4:33 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    Sackville Girl wrote:
    Derf wrote:
    Sackville Girl that looks wonderfull, every time I've made couscous it ends up very stuck together, kinda in clumps, is it the rubbing that makes it nicely separate icon_question.gif


    Yes, and the steaming. It is very difficult to add too much water this way, whereas it is easy to over water the couscous using the methods often described on the back of boxes. Having said that, this does take longer and may be more fiddly than you are willing to deal with!



    thanks icon_exclaim.gif I'd rather take the time and have it come out looking like yours icon_exclaim.gif That will be the way I'll try it next time icon_lol.gif
    rangapeach
    Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:27 am
    Food.com Groupie
    SG, Thank you, thank you....love your pictures. Love your beautiful tagine....(I like Paula Wolfert, too). Thanks for taking the time to show how. icon_biggrin.gif
    Sackville
    Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:54 am
    Food.com Groupie
    rangapeach (Petra) wrote:
    SG, Thank you, thank you....love your pictures. Love your beautiful tagine....(I like Paula Wolfert, too). Thanks for taking the time to show how. icon_biggrin.gif


    No problem. If you can buy a couscousiere that is ideal for this. The cheesecloth works but it's a bit fiddly. I don't think they're that expensive and it'll pay off if you like couscous.
    Zurie
    Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:21 am
    Forum Host
    icon_biggrin.gif What a wonderful contribution, with those lovely pictures!! Didn't even know photo's could be uploaded to the talk forums! And I am planning to make cous-cous tonight!
    Sackville
    Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:00 am
    Food.com Groupie
    Chef Zee wrote:
    icon_biggrin.gif What a wonderful contribution, with those lovely pictures!! Didn't even know photo's could be uploaded to the talk forums! And I am planning to make cous-cous tonight!


    Have you not been in the photo forum yet??!? You will die of hunger in there! icon_lol.gif
    Zurie
    Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:43 pm
    Forum Host
    icon_surprised.gif Photo forum??? I'm still a newbie on this enormous website!! Will go search for it -- if I can't find it, I'll be back ... icon_redface.gif
    Zurie
    Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:47 pm
    Forum Host
    icon_redface.gif Can't find a photo forum ....
    Sackville
    Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:52 pm
    Food.com Groupie
    You were in it today so you must have found it icon_lol.gif

    http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewforum.zsp?f=18
    Stop sending e-mails when someone replies
    Add this to My Favorite Topics
    Alert us of inappropriate posts

    Free Weekly Newsletter

    Get the latest recipes and tips delivered right to your inbox.

    Your e-mail is safe. Privacy Policy
    Advertisement

    Ideas from Food.com

    Powered by phpBB 2.0.1 © 2002 phpBB Group

    Over 475,000 Recipes

    Food.com Network of Sites